Low-cost mastering EQ plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sfxsound3 wrote:...there are no 'mastering' EQs, sorry. The term was cooked way back when to make 'mastering' seem important. Now - any capable EQ can do the job.
Yeah and no... But I think you make the defining definition with your last statement.

Yeah it is a kind of a phrase that was cooked up, but then, there are some prerequisites you more or less need. You don't have to have, but it is quite important for the mastering end of things.

So, since there are desirable prerequisites and these are things not every eq has, than we could actually allude to referring to these types of eqs as "mastering eqs." Eqs that are equiped with many of the desirable features required for mastering.

So, want are the defining features...

Minimal phase interaction or
Linear phase
Transparency,
Gain adjustments of 0.5dB or less
Oversampling, perhaps

But then, sometimes you just want to put a bid dirty Pultec on the chain and that qualifies for NONE of these points. Although, that's possible because it's serving a different purpose.

simon.a.billington wrote:
But then, sometimes you just want to put a bid dirty Pultec on the chain and that qualifies for NONE of these points. Although, that's possible because it's serving a different purpose.
I have no rules when it comes to eq with mastering. I have my room that I master in and an expected outcome. I then use whatever I feel is needed to meet that outcome. Waves Audiotrack is nearly always employed simply because I love the interface and it takes up hardly any room on my screen. Lately F6 - easily Waves best surgical eq plugin (very narrow notches are possible) and excellent mid/side features. That's usually it to be honest. I have no love for linear phase personally so I almost never use it.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Melda free plugins contain Mequalizer plus a bunch of other good plugins. If you pay some money they become full version. I been using Mequalizer a lot and it's great. It has meters for input/output, spectrum analyser, mid/side, etc,etc.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

do_androids_dream wrote:
I have no rules when it comes to eq with mastering. I have my room that I master in and an expected outcome. I then use whatever I feel is needed to meet that outcome. Waves Audiotrack is nearly always employed simply because I love the interface and it takes up hardly any room on my screen. Lately F6 - easily Waves best surgical eq plugin (very narrow notches are possible) and excellent mid/side features. That's usually it to be honest. I have no love for linear phase personally so I almost never use it.
I think Linear Phase eqs come into their own if you have something problematic or surgical that needs doing.

Generally, I think a Linear Phase is a missed opportunity to add something extra to lift it up a bit

Terry West's M horse series works very well. 32 bit Windows look a little dated but again perform great. Donationware.

http://www.terrywest.nl
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

simon.a.billington wrote:I think Linear Phase eqs come into their own if you have something problematic or surgical that needs doing.

Generally, I think a Linear Phase is a missed opportunity to add something extra to lift it up a bit
Sounds like a case of "you have a problem with a mix and got a linear-phase EQ to deal with it? Now you have two problems".

I'm not sure what you mean by 'missed opportunity'. There are occasions where linear phase might be appropriate - does less 'damage' to a source in order to fix something. I personally don't like the sound of them though - so I almost never use them. I can't relate to the idea of linear phase providing 'something extra to lift it up a bit'. That's a phrase I might use to simply describe a boost of a certain frequency (which can be done with any eq).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: SlickEQ Mastering has pretty much everything covered. Currently in a shootout between this and the CS 81, leaning towards the CS 81. Being a procrastinator sucks...
From a mastering task perspective, why are you leaning towards the CS 81?
As you yourself said, SlickEQ M has pretty much everything covered. Does CS 81 really have that?

Personally I would say SlickEQ M has it all covered, but if you need to do rescue missions, well thats another story completly, for that there's no plugin that really covers all the possible ways people can f**k s**t up...

gotta try photosounder splineEQ. there's a free 4-band version.

do_androids_dream wrote:
DuX wrote:I must admit Waves plugins have come down in price, but I have to say not without a reason - they are generally really old code and living on past fame. I wouldn't use them if they were free these days. :D
Old code that nearly all 'modern' eqs still use. The majority of the plugins I use in my professional mastering are Waves.
Yup I can make good mixes with Waves especially oldies like SSL Channel E.
IMO it's not a problem with the code if someone cannot get juice from older Waves :P

If I didn't have a lot of money, I would probably save up and buy a high-quality,
highly versatile EQ that would serve all my needs at once. That way I wouldn't have to
buy anything else ever again. A dedicated mastering EQ, seems a waste to
me in that situation.

Personally, I have and use a ton of EQ's because I like EQ's. If I had to throw
all of them out but one, I would probably be left with this one:

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... er-plug-in

My 2 cents... This isn't even my favorite eq btw... but if I had to have a goto.

-Cheers
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saw a video where DJ Swivel walked through his mix of Chainsmoker's Closer (you know, that mega-hit) and all EQ/compression was Waves SSL channels and sprinkles of things like Waves Doubler on vocals, Maserati DRM on the kick etc as well as a couple of Soundtoys plugins here and there. He said his tutor at college used Waves SSL and he's just stuck with it.

I've probably spent more money than him (a Grammy winner) on EQs and his mixes obliterate mine.

So don't feel bad about using old Waves plugins! You don't need the latest , greatest, fancy thing to achieve quality... but they're nice to have ^_^

pekbro wrote:If I didn't have a lot of money, I would probably save up and buy a high-quality,
highly versatile EQ that would serve all my needs at once. That way I wouldn't have to
buy anything else ever again. A dedicated mastering EQ, seems a waste to
me in that situation.

Personally, I have and use a ton of EQ's because I like EQ's. If I had to throw
all of them out but one, I would probably be left with this one:

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... er-plug-in

My 2 cents... This isn't even my favorite eq btw... but if I had to have a goto.

-Cheers
Perfect advice if you ask me. I did exactly that some years ago, have not regretted it.

do_androids_dream wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'missed opportunity'. There are occasions where linear phase might be appropriate - does less 'damage' to a source in order to fix something. I personally don't like the sound of them though - so I almost never use them. I can't relate to the idea of linear phase providing 'something extra to lift it up a bit'. That's a phrase I might use to simply describe a boost of a certain frequency (which can be done with any eq).
Um... embarrassing. I miswrote that!!

Let me try again...
Generally, I think THAT USING A Linear Phase is a missed opportunity to add something extra WITH A MORE CONVENTIONAL MINIMAL PHASE EQ to lift it up a bit.
I knew what I meant. The problem is NO-ONE else did!!! :lol: :lol:

Return to “Effects”