F13-F24 Function keys disabled? Or, how to add a CCTV controller to your DAW workflow.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.
I'm trying to use a PTZ controller from an old CCTV system as a DAW controller, like this one:

It's not MIDI. When i press some buttons or move the joystick, it sends a combinations of key presses to the computer. It's just like using a normal keyboard to control Waveform.
I'm almost sucessfull assigning key shortcuts, but some of the buttons use functions keys from F13 to F24, which Waveform doesn't understand. It stops at F12.
For example, one of the buttons is a combination of "ctrl+F13", but Waveform only assigns "ctrl+". It doesn't read the F13 function key.
PS: I'm using the great Keypose to see which keys are pressed. http://sumtips.com/2012/05/show-key-pre ... creen.html
Last edited by scalawag on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC?

Hmmm. You could try AutoHotkey, see if that you can use that to remap the extra function keys to some other sequence.

Or Bome's MIDI Translator to translate them to MIDI.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes, PC.
Maybe they can add those keys to Waveform? Should be easy to do.

Hmm, from what I can tell, we should support up to F16. We'd need to figure out why that's not working before extending the range to F24.
Do these keys work in other software? Does Windows itself recognise then?

Do you know what number is being sent for the F13 key?

When you say 'Waveform only assigns "ctrl+"', is this just that the F13 text is missing? For the "+" character to appear I would assume it is recognising something. Does pressing the same combination once assigned actually trigger the action?

dRowAudio wrote:Hmm, from what I can tell, we should support up to F16. We'd need to figure out why that's not working before extending the range to F24.

When you say 'Waveform only assigns "ctrl+"', is this just that the F13 text is missing? For the "+" character to appear I would assume it is recognising something. Does pressing the same combination once assigned actually trigger the action?
Hi.
You are right, it's just the F13 that is missing.
Let me do some more tests later at home.

dRowAudio wrote:Hmm, from what I can tell, we should support up to F16. We'd need to figure out why that's not working before extending the range to F24.

Hi.
You are right about supporting up tp F16. My reference to F13 was just an example.
The controller does use functions keys up to F24. Waveform can't read between F17 and F24.
I've tested on Renoise and on Harrison Mixbus. It works like a charm on the later, being able to read up to F24, but it is worse than Waveform on the former.
Is it possible to extend the range to F24 please?
Thank you

Ok, thanks for verifying. I'll see what I can do about adding up to F24.

One remaining thing that I can't verify my end is the textual display of assigning ctrl+F13, is the "F13" text missing as in your original post or is it actually there?

dRowAudio wrote:Ok, thanks for verifying. I'll see what I can do about adding up to F24.

One remaining thing that I can't verify my end is the textual display of assigning ctrl+F13, is the "F13" text missing as in your original post or is it actually there?
Hi.
F13 is there. It was just a bad example since it works up to F16.
It's just when the controller sends functions keys from F17 to F24 that it shows "ctrl+" or ctrl+alt+", etc
Thanks!

dRowAudio wrote:Ok, thanks for verifying. I'll see what I can do about adding up to F24.

I've just installed version 8.2.3, and now when i press a controller key that uses one function key higher than F16 it just say "Key:".
For example Ctrl+Alt+F16 shows "Key:Ctrl+Alt+F16" correctly, but when it's Ctrl+Alt+F17 it just show "Key:"

This just got added to the framework we use yesterday afternoon so should make it in to the next build.

dRowAudio wrote:This just got added to the framework we use yesterday afternoon so should make it in to the next build.
Thank you!

dRowAudio wrote:This just got added to the framework we use yesterday afternoon so should make it in to the next build.
It works on 8.2.5 beta!
Thank you!!

Return to “Tracktion”