j37 vs satin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

realmarco wrote: if we where to make a poll u would lose
How would you know?

Don't make the great mistake of extrapolating from yourself to others - most everyone round here is a lot brighter than you... :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
mementus wrote:Is there a way to eliminate all the noise from j37?
Yep! You can completely remove it by turning the Noise dial all the way to Off.
Do you mean the noise knob? If I turn it to zero I can still hear the noise/hiss. :?

Wow that's weird, are you sure? It works for me. Confirmed with SPAN analysis down to -180db. If you have any of the Maserati, Greg Wells etc signature plugs on, they produce hiss and/or hum noise too (that you can't turn off but are generally unnoticably quiet, especially the Maseratis).

Let me know you settings and I'll do some checking at my end.

You are right it does not make unwanted noise. Test made. :phones:

Awesome :)

mementus wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:
mementus wrote:Is there a way to eliminate all the noise from j37?
Yep! You can completely remove it by turning the Noise dial all the way to Off.
Do you mean the noise knob? If I turn it to zero I can still hear the noise/hiss. :?
Oh, the noise obsessed, are you? Well, there's noise all around you all the time. Generally you get like -50dB at daytime in the city and possibly down to -80dB during night-time [I didn't measure... but it's quite obvious]. Are you scared? :hihi: Unless you live in an anechoic chamber, that is. Better get one, quick! :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

MogwaiBoy wrote:Awesome :)
I have noticed that almost In any presets the Saturation knob is almost always set to 0 or close. How do you use the Saturation knob? Do you crank it hard?

0 doesn't mean no distortion. It means the plugin attempts to add exactly as much distortion as the original unit it seeks to emulate.

How much you may crank it depends on the program material, your taste and so forth...

However: if you feed a very clean, pristine signal into it, you may crank it hard and it might sound really lovely - or not.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I use J37 saturation in small doses... does that subtle thickening that I like on things like drum buses and snares (see also: Hornet Tape). On the master it's easy to overcook it and I prefer "cleaner" more predictable harmonics there (ie: Reviver).

I've also used J37 as a "lofi" effect on an outro, cranking the hiss to give some real texture. Waves Vinyl comes into play here too.

And then there's the built-in delay... This thing was well worth $22.

I, too, aren't afraid of a little noise injected back in. Subtle use of it I find can interject a tiny bit of a "smoothing" effect.

It only becomes a problem if your tracks are already noisy or you compress the crap out of everything bringingbyhe noise floor up. Like what you would get with parallel compression.

Brainworx and Lindell are other companies that include noisevas an option too. Possibly others.

jens wrote:
realmarco wrote: if we where to make a poll u would lose
How would you know?

Don't make the great mistake of extrapolating from yourself to others - most everyone round here is a lot brighter than you... :lol:
:P
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Effects”