Need your suggestions about audio interface...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks!

I hope I’m posting in the right section. If not, apologize and move it to the right please.

I’m looking for a new audio interface and since audio interface is definitely not a subject I’m familiar with, I’d love to know what you guys think and hear your suggestions.

Here are my specs and info so you can help me:

-Looking for something pretty simple but high quality. I never record anything, so I don’t need multiple inputs. 100% in DAW, with virtual instrument and plugins only.
-No FireWire, as my new computer only has USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3 ports.
-Since I don’t record anyting, an USB audio interface would pretty much the do the trick?
-Music all done in Ableton Live OSX.
-Budget up to $300/$400

With such needs and setup, what would you suggest me to get?

Thanks in advance guys! Much appreciated.

Since you're totally in-the-box, what do you hope to gain from an external interface? Knowing this bit of info will help everyone make useful suggestions.

Do you just need something to connect monitors or headphones to? Not sure what else you might be looking for since you don't plan to connect mics or external instruments for recording into Ableton Live.

There are about a million differnt audio interfaces at that price range that all do same, but everyone has a different favorite and will recommend different company :D

From my personal experience:
Give a wide berth to Focusrite.
Their drivers suck balls. I have two Focusrite interfaces here, hardware works perfect, but can't use it on my win10 DAW PC because of bluescreens, audio dropouts, audio distortions, .... pain in the ass.
Don't know if it is any better on Mac, but their windows software is utter shit.
Steinberg seems to build pretty solid hardware + drivers, so any of the Steinberg UR devices maybe? UR22 is about 150$, spend the remaining money on monitor speakers ;)
Last edited by PurpleSunray on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichieWitch wrote:
Do you just need something to connect monitors or headphones to?
Exactly! I use Mackie monitors so I need to connect them to something. No choice to go with an audio interface am I right, even if I'm in the box like you mentioned and I don't record in ? Or I'm mistaking and there are other better options for my kind of needs?

Thanks for your help!

PurpleSunray wrote:Give a wide berth to Focusrite.
Their drivers suck balls. I have two Focusrite interfaces here, hardware works perfect, but can't use it on my win10 DAW PC because of bluescreens, audio dropouts, audio distortions, .... pain in the ass.
Don't know if it is any better on Mac, but their windows software is utter shit.
That's a shame to hear about Focusrite on Win10.

I'd been hearing rumors of this, but not a direct comment like yours. I've had two of their interfaces on Win7, and they always had rock solid stability, great performance, and their customer service was some of the best I've ever experienced.

RichieWitch wrote: That's a shame to hear about Focusrite on Win10.
I'd been hearing rumors of this, but not a direct comment like yours. I've had two of their interfaces on Win7, and they always had rock solid stability, great performance, and their customer service was some of the best I've ever experienced.
Yeah, it a shame :(
I bought frist interface on win7 too, was working prefect. Then I got a second one from them for the notebook as the first one working great.
Then win10 came out and eventhing broke apprat. For the saffire 6 there are still no win10 drivers, about 2 years after win10 release and old driver bluescreen. The Scarlett has drivers, but audio dropouts.
Don't know what happend .. Focusrite !?!?!? hello?? :scared:

Well, the good thing is they forced me to change and I'm on RME now :hihi:

This is the one I couldn't think of previously ...
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... r-audio-2/

2 x stereo out
Headphone out
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for your first inputs so far guys.

A friend of mine also suggested me these potential interfaces that could be interesting.
-Apogee One For Mac
-Focusrite Scarlett Solo (but some of you discouraged me a bit for this one, will need to search more about it for Mac and see if it’s good or not)
-Audient ID14

As I said in my initial post, I have very low experience with audio interfaces so I really have no idea which one would be better or even worst: if there’s any better one than another for my minimalist needs… I have the feeling most of these would be overkill for what I need.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

thecontrolcentre wrote:This is the one I couldn't think of previously ...

2 x stereo out
Headphone out
Yeah, drivers on this are awesome if you don't need inputs.

If you have the budget for it, just get an interface with a pair of inputs as well.

One day you'll need them. You think you won't, but you will. And that day you will curse yourself for not buying them.

Used Apogee Duet has got to be favourite on OSX, or a used RME.

Sounds like you're much like me. All I want(ed) was a decent AD converter and low noise ASIO system with monitors out and mic option. You missed the best card for your need, which I have, in the Emu 1212m. The only other alternative in this range for the simplistically inclined is the M-Audio 24/96, which I understand is still in production, for sale, and still being supported. Why E-mu/Creative quit the 1212m is beyond my imagination, since it was by far the leader in that range.

There simply NOTHING else in that bracket anymore, at least in PCIe form. BTW, why are all interfaces moving to USB?? I don't even like USB for my mouse and keyboard...

Debutante wrote: The only other alternative in this range for the simplistically inclined is the M-Audio 24/96, which I understand is still in production, for sale, and still being supported.
Pretty sure they killed it a few years back when Avid sold M-Audio.
Debutante wrote: There simply NOTHING else in that bracket anymore, at least in PCIe form. BTW, why are all interfaces moving to USB??
You can't sell PCIe cards to laptop owners. Why make both a PCIe AND a USB model, when you can save the R&D, Support and manufacturing costs by only selling one?

Debutante wrote:There simply NOTHING else in that bracket anymore, at least in PCIe form.
Wrong. ESI had the Juli@ card, now replaced with the MAYA44 Ex: a 4-in 4-out (analog stereo + ditto on SP-DIF optical) PCIe card for about 150 turnips.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Kaine wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:This is the one I couldn't think of previously ...

2 x stereo out
Headphone out
Yeah, drivers on this are awesome if you don't need inputs.
Are the drivers equally good on the NI Komplete Audio 6?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”