soft synth with fat sine wave oscillators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys I need a vst synth with good sine wave oscillators. Something similar to strobe or operator in ableton. I just want a fat sounding osc for sins without using a lot of processing for really deep sub bass that cuts through the mix. I can get it pretty good with the two mentioned above, aswell as the triangle wave in diva, but I want something more. something kinda like a fat 808 or something that goes really deep. anyone know of any off the top of their head? minimal processing after the osc is key here.

Only sine waves ? Try Gsinth or Gsinth 2.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

any FM synth
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

^ Yes. Try out Dexed, JuceOPL or any FM synth.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Sorry, I wasn't sure I should write, but there is something confusing me. What do you mean with a "fat sine"? A sine is a single harmonic, with no partials whatsoever. How can you enrich it (make it fatter) unless you apply some kind of harmonic distortion? But in that case, it isn't a sine anymore :shrug:

Seems to me you are loking for the wrong wave. You would better look for an addtive synth (or a synth with additive oscillators, something like Rhino, or Octopus), and start by creating a wave that really suits what you look for (which is NOT a pure sine, but some kind of smooth triangle, or smooth square, IMO).
Fernando (FMR)

Sometimes the answer is right under our noses..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

A "fat sine"? You mean a sine with 'extra' harmonics? A non-sine?

Try any synth with a saw and a good filter (kb tracked) and create your own "fat sine".

I think in many cases what one thinks is a sine is actually a pulse with very low cutoff frequency.
Sine alone is utterly boring and often seems to display severe volume fluctuations across the keyboard. That's why I don't even use it for sub-oscillators anymore.

Send them through an impulse response of a square wheel.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The sound engine in Largo is quite beefy. Also, the sine wave got a lovely "click" in Largo. I guess, in most VA synths, they removed that clicky attack, which is a shame, because it can be quite useful. Spire is another synth which has the click. ;)

thanks for the recommendations guys, ill look into fm synths. i guess i forgot sines are just single harmonics so it doesnt make sense, but you know what i mean.

Bazille...

Low sine waves are creepy :) They show up on the meters although I don't hear them anymore.

chk071 wrote:The sound engine in Largo is quite beefy. Also, the sine wave got a lovely "click" in Largo. I guess, in most VA synths, they removed that clicky attack, which is a shame, because it can be quite useful. Spire is another synth which has the click. ;)
Hm, isn't that an envelope or phase issue?
Not even sure what a sine click sounds like...

If you set phase retriggering, and you set the phase start to 90°, or the highest (or lowest) point of the sine's amplitude, it should produce a click. Obviously, most devs seem to think that this is an undesirable thing, or the respective envelopes are too slow, so they don't produce a click.

You can check for yourself, Largo and Spire definitely produce that clicky attack (i think Z3TA 2 also). Sylenth1 hardly has a click to the attack, nor have Retrologue, Electra2, and Dune 1/2.

Return to “Instruments”