Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

ah, thanks!

Is there a way to use the MOD controls to lessen or eliminate the hiss the plugin produces? I'm working with some heavy processing chains and the noise in the plugin is proving a challenge...

Liero wrote:Is there a way to use the MOD controls to lessen or eliminate the hiss the plugin produces? I'm working with some heavy processing chains and the noise in the plugin is proving a challenge...
The Scream adds no hiss, although I would like to add this as a feature in the future. The hiss will be from the source material, which when amplified becomes louder. Try using a Gate on the source prior to sending to The Scream.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

How's progress going for final release? :pray:

Twrogstudio wrote:How's progress going for final release? :pray:
I'm working on some videos for The Drop at the moment, so haven't done much more on The Scream. Once they are done then it's back full time on the final release, which will include the low CPU mode as well as a few other features, the manual and some audio examples and an intro video for the web page.

The Scream is a fantastic bit o kit.... I've managed to bring it and my system down to its knees in glitchy, choppy, sizzly madness. Although it still sounded creamy despite all the fuzz and glitching. Once you figure out how to get into the mods and experimenting with values then some strange timbres start coming out this little box, depending on your source signal of course. Thanks for this one Andy. loads of fun!

snigelx wrote:The Scream is a fantastic bit o kit.... I've managed to bring it and my system down to its knees in glitchy, choppy, sizzly madness. Although it still sounded creamy despite all the fuzz and glitching. Once you figure out how to get into the mods and experimenting with values then some strange timbres start coming out this little box, depending on your source signal of course. Thanks for this one Andy. loads of fun!
You're welcome! Glad you're having fun. Unfortunately if you're pushing the parameters then any low cpu modes probably won't reproduce the same kind of results at all, so you'll be stuck with freezing or upgrading your computer - either way I think it's worth it to get these unique kinds of sounds :)

Andy,

"The Scream" 1.0.8 is crashing my host (Plogue Bidule) when I change the preset or click on the preset "browser" icon.

It happens every single time.

That is the first time ever that I see Bidule crash.

A3ntar wrote:Andy,

"The Scream" 1.0.8 is crashing my host (Plogue Bidule) when I change the preset or click on the preset "browser" icon.

You probably need to say a bit more about your system if you want to be helpful.

A3ntar wrote:Andy,

Sorry to hear about the bug. Can you please send an email to support@cytomic.com with a little more information, including all version numbers of operating systems and hosts (if you’re not running bidule standalone) involved, the plugin type of The Scream you are using (VST? AU?), and if you’re running your operating system and DAW and plugin in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. With that sort of information I have a chance of reproducing what you are seeing. Can you also let me know in the email (not here) if you can double click on a knob and enter a text number?

andy-cytomic wrote:a few other features, the manual and some audio examples and an intro video for the web page.
Could you include some pointers for people like me who are clueless about electrical engineering, about how to have some fun with the exposed (full) component values? :)

I’ve added the easy page which contains all the components that make the most obvious of changes to the sound, but other than that it is beyond the scope of the plugin to teach you electronics. Just have a fiddle with the other valurs and see if you like the results - you can alwyas click the undo button and back to where you were :)

I will include some more details of what each section of the circuit does in the documentation, and hopefully for the final release allow editing of component vaues directly on the schematic - that may may it easier to fiddle around with groups of compents.

ElectroSmash also have a great analysis of the tube screamer which may help your understanding of the circuit: https://www.electrosmash.com/tube-screamer-analysis

Ok thanks!
andy-cytomic wrote:hopefully for the final release allow editing of component vaues directly on the schematic - that may may it easier to fiddle around with groups of compents.
Yeah that'd be great.

Would it be possible to make the Cytomic plugins completely disable their PDC in Realtime 1x OS mode?

At the moment you also need to change the Render to 1x to enable zero latency in real time.

(Reaper 5.60 Win7 x64)

Eleventh wrote:Would it be possible to make the Cytomic plugins completely disable their PDC in Realtime 1x OS mode?

At the moment you also need to change the Render to 1x to enable zero latency in real time.

(Reaper 5.60 Win7 x64)
The issue here is that most hosts crash if you change the plugin latency on render. Kinda depressing :(

I have a special setting that you can switch and possibly crash reaper. Click on the preset bar in The Scream, then click "Show Presets Folder", then edit the file Settings.xml as and change Value="true" in the following line:

<Tuple Key="ForceDynamicLatency" Value="false"/>

If Reaper crashes then please email the guys and get them to fix their DAW - but I'm pretty sure Reaper and Live can both handle it. Cubase will crash, and programs like Logic won't crash, but they also won't update the latency properly. Fun huh?

Return to “Effects”