Low-cost mastering EQ plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gamma-UT wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I think Linear Phase eqs come into their own if you have something problematic or surgical that needs doing.

Generally, I think a Linear Phase is a missed opportunity to add something extra to lift it up a bit
Sounds like a case of "you have a problem with a mix and got a linear-phase EQ to deal with it? Now you have two problems".

Possibly, but if seen pros do this same thing with the ultimate goal of "Do no harm" to the mix.

Remember that it's not necessarily what you use, but HOW you use it.

Guys please keep in mind that the topic is "low-cost mastering EQ", not "your favourite EQ", nor "the most expensive EQ". ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Guys please keep in mind that the topic is "low-cost mastering EQ", not "your favourite EQ", nor "the most expensive EQ". ;)
Slick EQ Mastering from TDR is probably the most focused mastering eq I can think of. Although, you can use any eq really. The whole 'mastering' eq thing is largely a marketing strategy.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I would hope there is a broad agreement that "mastering grade" means "minimal side-effects". The EQ features discussed here (phase options, broad curves, oversampling) are mostly used to achieve that. And yes, clearly any track EQ without unpleasant artefacts can be used in principle.

Workflow matters too. What really makes SlickEQ M feel "mastering" to me is the relatively limited parameter range that really encourages you to experiment with steps of 0.5 dB. I recently demoed the Waves H-EQ (when it was on sale) and found it very difficult to use on busses because the gain range is so large on each band.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Got this in my email...

http://links.waves-audio.com/a/750/prev ... lvLmNvbSI=

It's almost over, but there's like a whole heap of plugins going at $29, cheaper if you go through DontCrack, or another third party. Maybe there is something worthwhile there.

Try hunting down other sales too, see what you can dig up.

Also don't forget to trial them before you buy. Drop the plugins on a few different type of mixes, see how they hold up. Anything can sound good in isolation, the real test is when they are dropped on the thick of it and used in a real application amoung the other processes.

Return to “Effects”