External MIxer use with Reason 9.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone - new to the board and new to sound production.

Anyway excuse me for diving straight in, but I have a question for you experts :)

I am reasonably new to Reason 9.5 and production in general.

I have been doing everything up to now "in the box" apart from having an external keyboard hooked up to reason via USB.

Anyway I have come into possession of an external 24 channel mixer, and would love to use that instead of using the onboard mixer as great as it is.

I have checked the list of supported control surfaces, and mine isn't on there. It is an Alto live 2404 24 channel, - has USB connection. so I know you can add a control surface with multiple channels, in Audio preferences.

Is this all there is too it? - or is it more complicated than this?. I would really love to use an external mixer for manual control over constantly having to switch screens to the onboard mixer.

Any advice setting this up would be great! - cheers and glad to be aboard

Iain

You have a "live" mixer, not a "control surface".
Look up in the manual what it can do with USB...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

That's what I was afraid of - I cant find an decent information in the manual I have read online.

I thought these mixers if USB controlled might be able to be mapped, eg channel 1 in DAW mapped to channel 1 on in the box mixer via usb. Im not bothered about all the FX just control of levels.

You'll need something that sends MIDI info for each slider/knob.

Try the Nektar Panorama series, the P1 is probably perfect for what you need.
The P4, and P6 both have the features of the P1 but with a built in Keyboard.
-Lost

As others have said, you need a control surface that sends MIDI data (the Alto live 2404 does not). Nektar Tech's Panorama P1 is already premapped and supported with Reason (as is the Panorama P4 and P6). It's a fantastic control surface, but there's plenty of other options out there as well. Behringer X-Touch series, the Mackie Control Unit, etc. Pick a price point. The Behringer X-Touch series and MCU don't have deep support for Reason though; they use Mackie Control. If you want to go cheap, you can get the Behringer BCF2000 if you can find them used.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fabio101 wrote:That's what I was afraid of - I cant find an decent information in the manual I have read online.

I thought these mixers if USB controlled might be able to be mapped, eg channel 1 in DAW mapped to channel 1 on in the box mixer via usb. Im not bothered about all the FX just control of levels.
The USB connection is an audio in/out ... it doesn't send midi.

You'll need something that sends MIDI info for each slider/knob.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”