Request for tutorial videos

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to request some tutorial videos for the Evolution guitar series geared to newbies like me. I have watched a number of the Orange Tree videos, and the guitars sound great but I am having trouble getting that sound. Some basic step by step how do I do this type videos would be awesome and very helpful.

Congratulations by the way for a very successful group buy. I am adding probably two more libraries to my account in hopes that someday I can make them sound good. :wink:

I wrote a long post, but KVR forgot I was logged in, so it ate it. :(

Maybe it's all for the best, though. I'll boil it down to the main points:

We released a few short tutorial videos two months ago, and then another one today. Rather than using a single Evolution guitar, these incorporate a different Evolution guitar each video, which I think emphasizes the way that these concepts can be used with any of our guitars, since they share the same engine.

I've been a little hesitant to record more tutorial videos right now, because as soon as we release an update, it makes all the videos outdated. We're working on a round of updates for all the Evolution guitars right now to bring them up to speed with all the new features and improvements premiered in Evolution Hollowbody Blues. Once those updates are out, I'll feel more confident about working on more tutorial videos.

That being said, so far I've been making short (2-5 minute) videos addressing a single aspect/feature of the libraries. I'm wondering if it would be good to additionally make longer videos (20-30 minutes) where I just record my screen while putting together guitar tracks in different styles, or even when creating demo songs for the libraries. That would give you a better idea of how to achieve certain sounds and techniques as well as some best practices.

What do you think? Do you prefer short, direct videos, or are longer videos okay, too?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Greg:

Thanks so much for your response.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself but in my case I can see where both short videos and longer videos would be helpful. The shorter videos would presumably focus on one feature (such as strumming) at a time, and the longer videos could show how to put these new skills in use while putting together a track or a song. So, not to seem greedy, both would help. :)

Also, please keep in mind that some of us (well, at least me) are not guitarists and our skills as keyboardists are not as advanced as yours so go slow in the videos. As an example, I personally don't have a clue when to include a palm mute or any of the other effects to make my "guitar playing" more realistic. :help:

And I can see why you are hesitant to make too many videos until updates are released, I had not thought of that.

Thanks again, and thanks for these wonderful instruments.

Jerry

Just a couple of comments:

1. Tutorials are always wellcome, the more detailed, the better. This kind of plugins can be today so versatile, that its hard to read all in manuals.

2. But how to play instrument in the characteristic way? This is an other level of skill. Very rarely the user can master all the instruments available today as sampled software. And making the instrument sound right including phrasings and e.g. typical fingerings by using different interface, i.e. the keyboard in stead of the original instrument, is very much beyond any typical "software tutorial".

Even for us guitarists, plying all the famous licks belonging to the guitar library, we are used to play with the fretboard and 6 strings, now with the keyboard, is a hard task. Its a different instrument with a keyboard. It helps if you know how it SHOULD sound. Therefore I suggest you just LISTENING records of the music you like, famous solo performances etc. The answer e.g. to "when use palm muting in guitar" can be found there.

(An other approach to this challenge would be rejecting the attempt to imitate real instrument phrasing. I'm not for that, because learning the characteristics of different instruments, even some basics, from the trombone to backpipe, from the timpanum to zither, from the church organ to the Chinese pipa, is a darn interesting jouney,)

My two cents:

Tutorials are always, always welcome! Ideas, inspiration, and seeing how others go about their workflow. I appreciate what you've guys done, and if can add more, I concur: the uninitiated like me need more guidance on how guitars work.

Keep up the great work: need more, more, more guitars. Flamenco, banjo, balalaika...and that upcoming 12-string :D

I think longer videos would be great. Short videos are good for visualizing how to use specific features and tools, but longer videos demonstrating your workflow can provide more context, spark more creative ideas, and help us see the bigger picture.

See this thread and the request which was posted and, in particular, the replies.

viewtopic.php?f=139&t=460261

Scar.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”