Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

What are you watching?

Numanoid
KVRAF

25559 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from a star near where you are

Postby Numanoid; Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am Re: What are you watching?

Frank Lucas: Superfly
GaryG
KVRAF

5482 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:35 am Re: What are you watching?

Anomalisa - Very good.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
ariston
KVRAF

3300 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 am Re: What are you watching?

Batman: TAS season one. Still awesome, somewhat surprisingly.
Numanoid
KVRAF

25559 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from a star near where you are

Postby Numanoid; Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:38 am Re: What are you watching?

Alone in the wilderness part 1
jancivil
KVRAF

12859 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 pm Re: What are you watching?

tried 'Narcos' on Netflix. Seems like there was a trailer that made it seem like something. I'm finding it rather dull really.
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

11013 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:18 am Re: What are you watching?

First season of The Missing (okayish, watchable).
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3701 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 am Re: What are you watching?

Been watching a lot of stuff on Solar Movie, like the X-Men series (boy did they mess them up, but eventually fixed much of the self-contradiction). They were ultimately worth my time after getting over the hump of X3 and it's followup. There's still annoying contradiction lurking but... meh.

I also watched a film called "The Signal". It didn't seem to know what kind of film it wanted to be. Ultimately it pissed me off. I have no problem with the budget or the pacing but the dialog and plot is exactly the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

It wants to be mysterious, intellectual, and surprising, but it was instead full of annoyingly unreasonable and irrational dialog. Tip to filmmakers: mystery isn't created by presenting protagonists who don't ask questions, and don't react when antagonists refuse to answer what few questions they've actually bothered to ask. Making characters obfuscate and avoid plot details is not how you generate mystery. It's how you annoy your audience.

The end was predictable to me from almost the moment the protagonist exited the hospital-like place of the middle of the film. We've all seen this abrupt "surprise" ending before in numerous films and tv shows. It's not new or surprising anymore. It's merely a cliche and a cheat (no further info provided because you're supposed to just be amazed at the surprise ending).

Maybe the creators haven't watched as much stuff as i have, and maybe they have shitty communication skills in real life, but that just means they shouldn't make films. The whole thing doesn't ring true or feel natural, especially once the film shifts away from road movie (which was not a bad part of the film).

Visually well made. Still, a total waste of my time. Also a waste of the actors. Hopefully they got paid well enough for their time.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Hooj
KVRist

355 posts since 23 Aug, 2012, from Way Out West

Postby Hooj; Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm Re: What are you watching?

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Maybe the creators haven't watched as much stuff as i have, and maybe they have shitty communication skills in real life, but that just means they shouldn't make films.

Visually well made. Still, a total waste of my time. Also a waste of the actors. Hopefully they got paid well enough for their time.

or maybe they were working with a weak script?
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am Re: What are you watching?

Hooj wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
Maybe the creators haven't watched as much stuff as i have, and maybe they have shitty communication skills in real life, but that just means they shouldn't make films.

or maybe they were working with a weak script?

Clearly. The director was one of the three writers, though, so...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am Re: What are you watching?

I just had the opposite experience to that prior weak script: I just watched "Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth".

Wow!

The screenplay was Jerome Bixby's final work. The cast was fantastic. The director apparently let these excellent actors do their thing because I'm not seeing lots of intellectual material in the director's other work. So kudos to him for whatever he did right.

If you need action and excitement, this film is NOT for you. If you love lots of intelligent and thoughtful dialog and subtle characterization, you might love it. I sure did. For me, personally, this is one of the best films I've seen. This is what speculative fiction storytelling was before audiences demanded explosions and special effects.

I only had minor gripes with it, the strongest being the lack of research in one line of dialog I know is absolutely wrong (Columbus did NOT set out to prove the world is spherical; it was already well known in his time). I saw where a few things were going, too, but the way they were handled was IMO excellent. More importantly, I was relieved that there were no contrived disasters, which would've ruined an amazing "people talking" storytelling session.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27931 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 pm Re: What are you watching?

Jace-BeOS wrote:I just had the opposite experience to that prior weak script: I just watched "Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth".

Wow!

The screenplay was Jerome Bixby's final work. The cast was fantastic. The director apparently let these excellent actors do their thing because I'm not seeing lots of intellectual material in the director's other work. So kudos to him for whatever he did right.

If you need action and excitement, this film is NOT for you. If you love lots of intelligent and thoughtful dialog and subtle characterization, you might love it. I sure did. For me, personally, this is one of the best films I've seen. This is what speculative fiction storytelling was before audiences demanded explosions and special effects.

Yeah fantastic film.
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

11013 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm Re: What are you watching?

A Dark Song (pretty good).
GaryG
KVRAF

5482 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 am Re: What are you watching?

Tale of Tales - I really enjoyed it, some great performances (Toby Jones, Shirley Henderson, John C Reilly... wish he'd been in it more)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
tapper mike
KVRAF

4443 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am Re: What are you watching?

Orville

Honestly I didn't find it as ST spoofy as I thought it would be. It's a little lighthearted which is a nice break from the harshness of modern sci-fi. I hope it grows up a little.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27931 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm Re: What are you watching?

Watching Star Trek (original) now - got the BluRay restored version - amazing restoration

Still great
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic