Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Zombie Queen
KVRAF

4197 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from Warszawa, Poland

Postby Zombie Queen; Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

SJ_Digriz wrote:It just reminds me of when the first smart phones came out. They had some amazing capabilities, but they were really terrible phones.

They still are terrible phones.
emcee
KVRian

1151 posts since 16 Sep, 2005, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby emcee; Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

If it boils down to $$ then have a look at the Novation Launchkey 61 mk2

Features

61 synth-style, velocity sensitive keys for easily creating performances with feeling
9 Faders and 8 knobs for easy control over mixer, instruments and effects
Designed for Ableton Live
16 RGB pads
Control all major DAW software
USB bus-powered
Includes software and samples

Price over here in Aus is a bargain A$339
Don't Tech No for an Answer
Backsnack
KVRist

92 posts since 2 Aug, 2017, from San Diego, CA

Postby Backsnack; Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:11 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

SJ_Digriz wrote:No one mentions the Arturia 88 keylab for some reason. It has a way better keybed than the Nektar and has better/more MIDI capability than the NI. More knobs, drawbars, decent pads, simple one button snapshot load of configs. Stay away from the 61 and below though. The keybeds on those are horrible. I have a 61 and have had to super glue the key stop for 8 or 9 keys back in place. It just sits on my desk ... no travel or abuse. And I don't reach under the damn keys and pull up. So, simply releasing the keys has enough force to break the stops off. Ridiculous. But, the MIDI control center is nice and is actually a MIDI solution as opposed to the crappy/cumbersome way NI has done it. Although I obviously can't comment on the MK2, it's possible it is better now.

Don't confuse the DAW and KK integration with being a MIDI Controller. They do some of the same things, but via a different methodology. KK2 is probably the best integrated proprietary system right now. Clearly it has the best keys and extra bells and whistles. But, it is NOT a good MIDI controller, at least the MK 1 isn't.

So apparently I thought the Keylab 88 was a lot more expensive ... turns out it's only slightly more than the S61. ($800 retail)

I see a couple used ones on Reverb right now in various conditions for $550-600, so that could certainly be an option. I'm always a fan of buying used high-end hardware for a better deal. :tu:
Backsnack
KVRist

92 posts since 2 Aug, 2017, from San Diego, CA

Postby Backsnack; Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

emcee wrote:If it boils down to $$ then have a look at the Novation Launchkey 61 mk2

Features

61 synth-style, velocity sensitive keys for easily creating performances with feeling
9 Faders and 8 knobs for easy control over mixer, instruments and effects
Designed for Ableton Live
16 RGB pads
Control all major DAW software
USB bus-powered
Includes software and samples

Price over here in Aus is a bargain A$339

Nice bunch of features for the price. :tu:
Jax Pok
KVRian

533 posts since 1 Mar, 2015, from UK

Postby Jax Pok; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:09 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

Doublepost
Last edited by Jax Pok on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jax Pok
KVRian

533 posts since 1 Mar, 2015, from UK

Postby Jax Pok; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:09 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

If |I was getting a new controller today it would be one with keys only with a blank surface behind the keys for placing gear on. I'm using Roli Blocks for the buttons and dials from now on.
chk071
KVRAF

13227 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

Zombie Queen wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:It just reminds me of when the first smart phones came out. They had some amazing capabilities, but they were really terrible phones.

Maybe. But they're great computers. ;)
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

4472 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

chk071 wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:

Maybe. But they're great computers. ;)

8) In case my innuendo was not successful.. a lot of these budget keyboards are excellent integrated controllers, but not so good at being keyboards. So, when someone says "what's the best budget keyboard", you have to ask yourself if an actual keyboard is important to them.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
chk071
KVRAF

13227 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm Re: Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

Hehe. I guess the actual phone function, and SMS/whatever you used to do with your old phone functionality is at least up to par with what was offered in those older devices though. Even though i sometimes do wonder about how bad some phones speakers and mics are still are. But then, there also used to be conventional mobile phones which were awful. Like some of the old Siemens devices. What is amazing in nowadays smartphones are the sound chips though. I mean, literally everything from 100-150 € upwards is better than a 2007 iPod Nano i had for some time. And when you get into the 400-500 € price range, the sound quality is pretty stunning. Same with the displays. Not to talk about the processing speed of those devices. Personally, i don't miss anything from the older phones.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)