Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Your next guitar?

ATN69
KVRian

1159 posts since 5 Oct, 2015, from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Postby ATN69; Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm Re: Your next guitar?

@ tapper mike,

Thanks for the heads up and the video clips. I never even heard of these guitars until now and I will look into these :)
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7, 8Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 12
reecewolff
KVRist

66 posts since 30 Mar, 2017

Postby reecewolff; Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am Re: Your next guitar?

Music Man Axis Suport Sport Semi Hollow https://www.music-man.com/instruments/g ... hollowbody
Xiangqi
KVRAF

3148 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby Xiangqi; Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 am Re: Your next guitar?

...got some 'double P90' pickups from Donlis... it seemed like they were wired/color-coded as 'super P90s' with a lot of buzz. switched the wires around (counterinutive to the color coding) and the buzz nearly went completely away. so, it almost seems like the engineers at Donlis were trying to make a 'double-powerful P90' instead of a 'hum-cancelling' pickup.

anyway, have got an additional 3 interesting soapbar variants on the way from GuitarFetish... one 'double coil' but side by side without the added depth of the 'stacked' pickups like Donlis; and another two which are humbucker variants... 'mini-humbucker' in a soapbar, and 'gold foil old style humbucker'...

by the way, once the wiring were squared away, those Donlis pickups sound fantastic. however, the depth of them, being stacked as they are might be too much for some guitars' default routing...

as an aside, was playing a standard P90 soapbar 'Mighty Mite' the other day, and it has the 'usual' buzz, but at some point in recording, and then listening to playback, the pickup was singing like a 'bell'... like a 'triangle wave'... amazing...
Xiangqi
KVRAF

Postby Xiangqi; Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 am Re: Your next guitar?

Over on amazon, there's a black Stagg Tele with a P90 in the bridge, for just over $100. It seems like certain pieces of gear will drop about $2 every day, then shoot back up again at a certain point, to their 'normal' price. This guitar often goes for over $180.

It's listed as: Stagg SET-CST BK Vintage T Series Custom Electric Guitar with Solid Alder Body - Black

Before, I'd thought it was a function of 'prime' membership, but no longer having prime, these price drops still happen. the one i really missed was a 7-watt peavey transtube amp for around $30... it went down down down a bit each day, then one day it was back to around $65.
tapper mike
KVRAF

4442 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Thought of taking it up a notch and getting a Raven West?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Electr ... SwAExZl0DK
Xiangqi
KVRAF

Postby Xiangqi; Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:32 pm Re: Your next guitar?

whoah that's tight
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

4472 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm Re: Your next guitar?

nice chunk of wood there tapper
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
tapper mike
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 pm Re: Your next guitar?

You should have seen my Raven West 450 It's a semi hollow prs design. Gold hardware 24 frets similar vine fretboard inlay. Had to sell it I may have a pic on my old computer.
Uncle E
KVRAF

9485 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Hink wrote:apparently at 21 plus my daughter has decided that guitar nor bass is for her. So now I have a Squire Hello Kitty and an ibby bass (very low end but it's ok). I think I'll put my Duncan Invader in the Hello Kitty :tu:

KVR needs a metal smiley
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 pm Re: Your next guitar?

SJ_Digriz wrote:Can you guys see this image? Trying to see if I can trick google photos into sharing. Anyhow, finally getting round to installing the Emerson kit into my White Hawk loaded Stratafaker.

That's a stunner. How do those pickups sound split?
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Xiangqi wrote:...got some 'double P90' pickups from Donlis... it seemed like they were wired/color-coded as 'super P90s' with a lot of buzz. switched the wires around (counterinutive to the color coding) and the buzz nearly went completely away. so, it almost seems like the engineers at Donlis were trying to make a 'double-powerful P90' instead of a 'hum-cancelling' pickup.

I believe the loudest possible wiring, in series, would have them be hum-cancelling.
fedexnman
KVRAF

2253 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:apparently at 21 plus my daughter has decided that guitar nor bass is for her. So now I have a Squire Hello Kitty and an ibby bass (very low end but it's ok). I think I'll put my Duncan Invader in the Hello Kitty :tu:

KVR needs a metal smiley

Because nothing is more metal than a Seymour Duncan Invader in a Hello Kitty ... :band:
Xiangqi
KVRAF

Postby Xiangqi; Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 am Re: Your next guitar?

looked at a lot of guitars, including raven west, but spent money on pedals, etc. instead, then picked up this $98 archer st10, with paulownia body:

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

4472 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 am Re: Your next guitar?

Uncle E wrote:That's a stunner. How do those pickups sound split?

I only like position 4 split (bridge slug, middle). Position 2 has a weak kinda phasey sound that could be good in a specific context I guess. I still haven't wired it up, but have everything re-installed. I was considering going with coil/middle or neck coil / bridge slug for position 2. The kit is wired with 2nd tone knob as a blender. I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way or not. Kind of complicated to wire that in HSH.

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't clear, but this guitar was already wired up and working. I just decided to try the blender setup to see if it did anything interesting. However, after reviewing the wiring, I may just go back to the way I had it, with some changes to the switching options. It previously was hum cancelling in 2 and 4. I never got on with position 2.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
tapper mike
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am Re: Your next guitar?

It's funny how much I've gravited twoards T-style solid bodies in recent years. Still have one that has become my main axe (telecaster modern player plus) and always want more. I'm thinking about a Charvel pro mod style 2
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)