Need advice about new music computer

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all.

Recently my MacBook Pro of 2011 model died. I took it to the Apple Service and they said that Apple does not cover support for that vintage model anymore. After that I did a little research and found a private service that can repair it. (These are quite common in Istanbul, they just replace spare parts from other junk computers.) I'm in the middle of mixing my new EP and have booked live performances in near future so I need a fix urgently.

So, I'm here with some options that I couldn't decide yet.

1- To repair the 6 years old machine --> 500€
2- To buy a second hand 2015 model MBP, since it still has USB-A ports. --> around 1500 - 1700€
3- To buy a new monster windows laptop. I'm on mac for more then 10 years now and I'm quite afraid of this switch. Apple does not have USB-A anymore and I feel verrrry uncomfortable with dongles on live situations, I added this as an option. I'd also like to hear what you think about it actually since I started to think that this switch on music production community is inevitable. ---> Around 1000 - 1400€
4- To buy a new gen. MBP with hubs or dongles --- > EXPENSIVE, still it's an option.

Any thoughts - advices - other options would help, thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Üstün
Last edited by Ustun on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

I just sold my 2014 MBP and it was still an immensely capable machine. The only problem I can foresee (potentially) is that mine was very low use, and friends I know who had similar vintage Macbooks all had terminal issues with them. Because none of the parts are user serviceable any more, it gets expensive to repair. If you do go for this option, make sure it has a low battery cycle count so there's plenty of life left in it.

I would be tempted to switch to a PC laptop. I ran both windows and OSX for years, and the differences are negligible now.

Check out scan.co.uk, as they really, really know their stuff and build bespoke audio laptops.

Their main audio man is part of this forum.

Been using Macs for over 10 years now, but I have to admit, I am ready to jump ship at the next one to just die as they all have. They really are far too expensive to be accepting the almost perfectly timed catastrophic failures after 3 years and some months. I have recentlt purchased Cubase and along with Live and Reason, I feel comfortably released from Logic. I think the switch to PC would, in the long run, at least prove to be the more economical proposition.

Hello again. Thanks for all of your answers.

I minimized my options to 2 while checking out scan.co.uk (great info, thanks!). I'll get a new macbook pro 2015 with usb ports (yes, i found a sealed one) for 1316€ or get two computers, a workstation on windows and a macbook for live. And it will die in 3 years and some months, right, it just happnes like that jacqueslacouth. Very annoying.

My computer got broken a month ago, I took it to the Apple Service, and it took around 2 weeks for them to tell me that Apple does not support this model anymore. So, I don't have a computer for a month now and I do all of my professional stuff on a computer, so this was a total disaster to me. Because of that I guess, having two machines feels more comfortable to me right now, besides the cost would be similar with thhe 2015 MBP. The question about this is, if I go this way, I'll be buying a 2015 MacBook Air for live performance. Do you think that it would be enough for the job. I mainly perform with clip launch on Ableton Live, basic effects like filters and reverbs and I use 6 inputs in my audio interface to process live audio.

Besides, I'm feel a bit uneasy about keeping a laptop without working for weeks, that will happen eventually, I've been using my MBP like an iMac besides live stuff. Would that get the life of a computer shorter?

And I'd also like to hear if you know any cons about having two machines like that for music production.

Disclaimer: I am Windows person. I think, to use Windows, you have to love Windows and understand how it works. I heard that now days both OS similar, but Windows has more options to tweak it. If you go Windows, go windows on both systems. I would not recommend to switch. I do recommend to build your own workstation. It is wonderful time- we about to have new super 6 cores processors released any day now. Buy the parts and the case, put it together yourself and enjoy it. It is almost as much fun as making music. Your computer will be your living instrument. You also can install Mac OSX on custom hardware at your own risk (if you want to take chances- for advance users only). Customacs will work but I would not recommend as main DAW environment- it just for exploring- I believe it violates ULA. Just saying tat people do this. I would love MAC OS IF IF IF IF Apple allowed it to be installed on custom computers. I dont want their hardware. I want to configure my own hardware and the OS friendly for this task is Windows. I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”