I've got £43 to spend. What should I get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, £43...
Lunch?

Which reverbs do you have?

Toneboosters Reverb 4 is great (love the shimmer mode)

And of course anything by Valhalla DSP is within your budget with the current exchange rate...

Get SpecOps from Unfiltered Audio when its released later today ...

Liero wrote:How does FIVER sound different from other EQ's?

TBH I've always had problems hearing the differences between EQ's any way. I've always been able to replicate any analog modelled EQ's curve in Fabfilter Pro-Q in a way that I can hear absolutely no difference at all between the plugins - meaning that I can get Pro-Q to sound like any EQ to my ears.

So I'd be interested to hear about an EQ that has an "unreplicatable" sound...
Just try it? For starters, FIVER can be overdriven into soft and hard clipping. You can't do that with Pro-Q.

And if you aren't able to hear the differences of an analogue modeled EQ plugin vs Pro-Q you can, if you want to learn (critical listening is a skill, one that can be trained just like anything else), simply insert 10 instances of FIVER in a row. Be sure to first copy the settings into Pro-Q (either by ear/phase cancellation tinkering or using the built in matching filter thing). Then compare 10 instances of FIVER at various input audio gain stages to 10 instances of Pro-Q. The difference should be completely obvious by then. Now you know how the differences accumulate and vary from track to track.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Or open the 32 bit version in VST Plugin Analyzer - go to Measurement - Harmonic Distortion.

Two turtle doves and a partridge in a vst.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Get SpecOps from Unfiltered Audio when its released later today ...
Scrub that ... its come out with a considerably higher price tag than I expected. Very dissapointing :(

I have no (Valhalla) shimmer... :roll:

TB Reverb 4 can do Shimmer and more
Amazon: why not use an alternative

bmanic wrote:
Liero wrote:How does FIVER sound different from other EQ's?

TBH I've always had problems hearing the differences between EQ's any way. I've always been able to replicate any analog modelled EQ's curve in Fabfilter Pro-Q in a way that I can hear absolutely no difference at all between the plugins - meaning that I can get Pro-Q to sound like any EQ to my ears.

So I'd be interested to hear about an EQ that has an "unreplicatable" sound...
Just try it? For starters, FIVER can be overdriven into soft and hard clipping. You can't do that with Pro-Q.

And if you aren't able to hear the differences of an analogue modeled EQ plugin vs Pro-Q you can, if you want to learn (critical listening is a skill, one that can be trained just like anything else), simply insert 10 instances of FIVER in a row. Be sure to first copy the settings into Pro-Q (either by ear/phase cancellation tinkering or using the built in matching filter thing). Then compare 10 instances of FIVER at various input audio gain stages to 10 instances of Pro-Q. The difference should be completely obvious by then. Now you know how the differences accumulate and vary from track to track.
You're right. 10 instances of FIVER end up sounding very different to 10 instances of Pro-Q, but it's still just a difference of EQ curve. Inserting the 10xFIVER signal into one last corrective instance of Pro-Q and correcting the curves to match... I can get 11xPro-Q to sound like 10xFIVER again. So, to my ears - no "magic analog mojo" that is impossible to recreate in Pro-Q - just EQ curves.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Get some beer.
I recommend EINBECKER, simply the best beer in the world (they invented the famous Bockbier!) :oops:
I tried the Elvis Juice from Brewdog last weekend. Very tasty. Pretty strong too at 6.5% ;)
You get loads for £43 ...
Why on earth would you buy that beer?!
I'm from Belgium (the land of beers), buy a good trappist beer like 'La Trappe Quadrupel Oak Aged', 'Westvleteren', 'Orval', ... Much better than that hyped IPA stuff.
Last edited by ludwig on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludwig wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Get some beer.
I recommend EINBECKER, simply the best beer in the world (they invented the famous Bockbier!) :oops:
I tried the Elvis Juice from Brewdog last weekend. Very tasty. Pretty strong too at 6.5% ;)
You get loads for £43 ...
Why on earth would you buy that beer?!
I'm from Belium (the land of beers), buy a good trappist beer like 'La Trappe Quadrupel Oak Aged', 'Westvleteren', 'Orval', ... Much better than that hyped IPA stuff.
I didn't say I bought it. I said I tried it. A friend of mine called around with a few cans. I'm well aware of Belgian trappist beers ... and very nice they are too. :ud:

Sonic Charge Echobode or one of DMG Audio's Track Range plugins.

ludwig wrote: Why on earth would you buy that beer?!
I'm from Belgium (the land of beers), buy a good trappist beer like 'La Trappe Quadrupel Oak Aged', 'Westvleteren', 'Orval', ... Much better than that hyped IPA stuff.
Hard to call it hype when Brits have been drinking plenty of IPA since before the craft boom. Anyway, Trappists are delicious but real Belgian beer fans drink Geuze :wink:

(I want some Geuze now but can't find any :( )

If OP is still following this thread I hope you got some Klanghelm stuff already! VUMT deluxe is my gain-staging width-adjusting track-cleaning buddy at the top of every insert FX chain. When I like what a character comp does to something I'll often have a go at reproducing the effect with DC8C2 and usually end up preferring the latter. The side-chain tilt filter is super-handy for responding to the "right" events.

Return to “Effects”