The Empire Strikes Again!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I liked it. A lot of "scored" pieces can be overly dramatic, but I often feel don't offer the casual listener enough of a melodic "foothold" in order to attract their attention when used as a stand-alone piece. I liked the slow string motif, later repeated and developed by other instruments which gave quite this track quite a memorable quality. I think it would certainly work in a SciFi, cinematic setting, but I also enjoyed it as a piece of rousing, late-night listening. Goes well with beer.

Good work :)

Thanks for your comments, fastlanephil and seismic1. Glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the feedback!

Start is clearly inspired by Vader's march, but after that parts strongly reminded me of Mussorgsky and Kabalevsky. Mix made it sound a bit small against the big theme drama it was invoking. But overall, very impressive!

Been a while since I had time to kick back and just listen to stuff. Very pleased I found this one :- Always appreciated your music )
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

'mix made it seem small' vs 'overpowering brass', methinks this indicates the truth is somewhere in the middle and maybe goldilocks' 'just right'.

Two things I noticed...I've heard all this before but not in the same order...but I think that's a good thing for action background. Second, maybe has something to do with the first, the music needs the cine. It doesn't musically stand on it's own and again that's good. When I'm watching action or whatever, I don't want to be distracted by the music...I want it to enhance the mood but be invisible.To be familiar enough that my unconscious memory tells me the music is saying "feel this way"... and I think this music meets this purpose.
EDIT - in addition, I want to make it clear that I am speaking as if from the viewpoint of a director who wants music to stay only supportive.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Enjoyed this David. Sounds powerful and dramatic even through iPad speakers...
Nice melodies and progression.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thank you Richard, folderol, jancivil, annode and Allomerus for your comments. I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Annode, I think you are right on target with your comment that this piece of music is really meant to be evocative of a certain cinematic feeling. Even though there is no moving image to go with it, I definitely wrote it as though there was one. I borrowed liberally here from some of the devices that Williams uses in his Star Wars scores, and especially from The Empire Strikes Back. So I definitely know what you are getting at in your comments.

Return to “Music Cafe”