FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:People really like the Walrus Julia and MXR Analog Chorus. I've got all 3 in stock (including the Boss CE-2W) and would be happy to send them all to you to try out.
Checked out the Julia...hadn't heard of it before. Sounds great. Like, really great. I'm still leaning towards the CE-2w because 1) I love The Smiths and want that classic CE-2 sound, 2) tracked something a few months ago that uses the Amplitube CE-1 at a deep vibrato and like the idea that one pedal can get both sounds. That said, the Julia sounds great. You definitely gave me something to think about.

When it comes to order the Whammy V and whatever chorus I land on, I'll order through your shop. If I get horribly indecisive, I may just take you up on the offer to ship out both and send back whichever I don't want. If so, I'll be in touch. Thanks for the offer!

I ended up ordering the Analogman modded Vox 845HW today (only mod was the Boss style power adapter). I pulled up a few Youtube clips and always seemed to prefer the Vox on everything. Sounds meaty without too much of a quack. Plus, I love my current Vox 847 wah, and I'm only replacing it because of the awful tone suck (could get it modded, sure, but this will be a nice upgrade to the tone in addition to the bypass).

recently got another raftload of caline pedals. definitely some pedals in that brand which i really like.

seems like i buy another drive/distortion/fuzz every week or two. based upon surprisingly fond memories, just picked up another behringer to800. the seller had it here within 48 hours. wow

...picked up another mooer lo-fi machine. it looks like a lot of vendors on ebay are charging upwards of $90 for these now.

managed to get one for $64... not bad.

Got the CE-2w and Whammy V from JRR today (thanks Uncle E - very fast shipping BTW). Was really debating between the CE-2w and the more flexible Walrus Audio Julia. From the various comparisons, the Julia was brighter (slicker), and had a lot more options, but after just a few minutes with the CE-2w I'm happy with the choice. It nails that 80's chorus sound. Having a CE-1 chorus/vibrato and CE-2 in the same pedal is nice.

Replacing the Vox Wah and Whammy IV with newer, True Bypass, upgrades finally solved the problem of losing volume and tone when running through my pedalboard. So I think I'm finally done with my pedalboard. I've got about 1 of everything, nothing too boutique or esoteric, but they're all pretty darn good and I'm finally happy.

How many pedals do you have on your board? Some people end up with 2 or 3, but others might have 15-20 or beyond.

Anyway, glad to 'hear' you've gotten your 'kit' 'squared away'.

Cheers!

I've been eyeing the CE-2w, just waiting to see if there's another Boss 3for2 promo.

I have 2-3 pedalboards (actually 4), let alone pedals. One is for Guitar recording, one Guitar jamming, then acoustic and bass ones.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

...have settled in with a combination of Joyo and Caline for 'dirt' sounds. Between those two, lots of low-cost options. A couple of my favorites for 'smooth dirt' are Joyo Sweet Baby and Caline Orange Burst. They can be both be dialed up a bit, but within 'reasonable' settings, they're both fairly smooth.

...have ordered some more modulation pedals, including Electro-Harmonix 'The Worm'.

...noticed there are these new Danelectro pedals -- the 'Billionaire' series... they look good...

New Danelectro pedals look interesting, particularly the battery pack.

Really bad names though, to the point of being off-putting.

As far as modulation goes, been getting back into my Guitar Fuel Angular Velocity pedal. Easy pedal to overdo, but sounds weird and wonderful if delicately handled.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

agreed, the names are a bit much, and the battery pack is the most interesting.

...just received The Worm from Electro-Harmonix. also got the Nano Clone, and the Small Stone.

...haven't tried the clone or the sonte yet, but plugged the worm in right away. it appears to be in a 1590BB enclosure, and has 'wah', 'phaser', 'tremelo', and 'vibrato'. first impressions are that the phaser alone is probably worth the price of admission. the vibe sounds really good, too. i'm not much into tremelo, but will have to check it out. the wah seems like it would only work for me with the EXP pedal option. i'll have to give that a go. but yeah, this phaser sound... really cool. and not to downplay it, but the 'vibe' setting is going to get a lot of use over here, too. looking/listening forward to hooking up the exp here... and then trying the clone/stone...

I used to have The Worm as well (um... yeah) and I though it was pretty cool. My favorite was the wah effect. I thought the phaser was too subtle. The vibrato was good too but I also have a Clone Theory which does that even better, IMO.

Anyway, it's very cool with an expression pedal. Not many phasers allow manual control like that. It's also really fun to use with the EHX 8-Step Programmer. Lots of neat sequenced wah effects that way.

In the end I replaced my Worm with a with a Moog phaser.

Recently got an Ibanez SD9M Sonic Distortion Mod pedal, with added Gain and Mid switches. I had an original SD9 with noise issues (even bypassed), this is much quieter, more versatile, and splits the diff between ProCo Rat and EHX Big Muff. Dig it!

justin3am... now i'm thinkin'... 'moog phaser you don't say?'... lol... but i'm having a blast with the worm. one of my favorites is 'vibe' with exp... pretty cool, maybe overly subtle effect.. but getting some vibrato from an exp pedal is kind of cool. wait... maybe the next pedal to 'investigate' should be the digitech whammy...

winstantaneous... the SD9M reads like a great pedal... problem is, perhaps like many guitarists, i always want the next 'dirt' pedal... boosts, drives, distortions, fuzzes, etc... more more... anyway, from your description, that does 'sound' like a great pedal.

I love the Moog phaser, but for one problem. It seems to suffer a bit of level drop when I use it with synths. I don't notice it with guitar for some reason. But, is has a great range.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:I love the Moog phaser, but for one problem. It seems to suffer a bit of level drop when I use it with synths. I don't notice it with guitar for some reason. But, is has a great range.
Yes, I noticed that (are you also using an MF-103, or the Minifooger version). I think that's mainly because the output is intended to go into an amp or other guitar level pedals. When working with synths, I use pedals in send/return configuration, with a mixer. So I'm not bypassing them from the stomp switch. That way, I have a lot more control over gain staging, as well.
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”