Fabfilter Subscription!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

subscription is the devil

Fabfilter has already the best things going for them, they give you a discount based upon the amount of Fabfilter plugins you own. This is great and it persuades me to buy their next plugin.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

"rent to own" seems good! :tu:

Another +1 for rent to own, feels like a neutral way of doing things, makes sense for the buyer. Instant access and progress towards owning. I wouldnt be surprised if it becomes a standard eventually.

Subscription?
No thanks, I'm married already.

Yep I believe the xfer model is perfect all round to be honest.

They could lower their prices so people don't need to think about subscriptions. That should make everybody happy. Yay. :party:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

mrj1nx wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if it becomes a standard eventually.
It would be awesome. :party:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

JoMas wrote:Subscription?
No thanks, I'm married already.
Hey, we're talking about just a couple of bucks monthly here. :hihi:

Hi

I think that most buyers of music software ARE hobbyists and it begs the question - do you really want your hobby to become a monthly bill, a regular financial commitment like paying the electric, rent or food bill?

Of course many hobbyist do regularly purchase plugs (GAS), but at least they can budget on a month by month basis - subscriptions don't give you that leeway - and if they are flexible in that way, it is just another ploy to get your money as regularly as possible.

I don't blame companies for this model - we live in a cynical world and it is to be expected: follow the market trend, I suppose.

If it ain't broke what is to fix?

I like this company, they have quality software which I buy, and most importantly they have a serial copy protection which for me is important (no Ilok or similar).

If they do go with a subscription model I would hope (like Voxengo) that they will continue to also sell and protect their software as they currently do alongside that model.

original flipper wrote: If they do go with a subscription model I would hope (like Voxengo) that they will continue to also sell and protect their software as they currently do alongside that model.
Is there any company, which does this different???

- Slate plugins, subscription or buy
- Xfer, rent to own or buy
- Melda, rent to own or buy
- Lennar Digital, rent to own or buy
- Softube, subscription or buy...
- EastWest, subscription or buy
- Cakewalk, rent to own or buy

don´t know about any other ...

I don't have any subscriptions for any plugins and I would never ever go down that road. I rather switch over to hardware if that would be the future of software.

Rent to own is a good thing. When I was a young guy I used to rent to own some hardware synths. Thanks to my friends at the local music shop for arranging the rent to own scheme, I could buy some synths that I would not have been able to buy otherwise. They even arranged it interest free.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Trancit wrote:
original flipper wrote: If they do go with a subscription model I would hope (like Voxengo) that they will continue to also sell and protect their software as they currently do alongside that model.
Is there any company, which does this different???
Adobe.

people wetting their knickers over 'rent to own' should consider that model to its natural conclusion.
should such a scheme become commonly accepted it will lead to higher overall prices. Prices will be pitched as the per-monthly, rather than the total... and psychologically, it's easier to drive up the price from $6 a month to $9 than it would be to drive it up from $100 to $150.

further more, you will inevitably end up with situations like the current bitwig model, whereby you would only own (a license) for the version that was current at the time of the last payment .... bugs n all. in otherwords, you'd end up owning a license to Synthesizer v 2.0.4 or some such. And should you want the bug fixes included in v 2.0.5, you'd have to sign up for another rent to own purchase of a year or whatever.

so wet your knickers at your perile.

I think the thread should be titled Fabfilter too smart for subscription!

Return to “Effects”