A new Eventide / Newfangled Free Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EQuivocate

e@rs wrote:
sin night wrote:I also wonder what we could expect after the giveaway...
From their FAQs section:

Q: Will you be making a mastering limiter that combines the power of EQuivocate with machine learning techniques? If so, will there be an upgrade?
A: Yes. The follow up to EQuivocate is Elevate — a full featured mastering limiter. Upgrades will be available.
Hopefully they wont make a compressor named flatulate... :P

Teksonik wrote:Ok I figured it out....we got suckered into Beta Testing this EQ. :lol:

I just put it on the Master of a piece I had been working on and it melted my CPU (no, it's an i7). So far I'm getting....too much Latency to be used on my guitar although it's like getting a doubler as a bonus and too CPU heavy to put on a relatively simple mix. Shame as I do like the concept.

I'll keep working with it before making a final decision but so far......ehhh.....it's worth every penny of free. :shrug:
The latency is due to it being a linear-phase EQ. I wouldn't bother using it for real-time use. This thing helps to add better clarity IMO. Did you watch the video? Tip: Less is more!

ericzang wrote:Thanks so much Dan for this gift!

Regarding the CPU use and graphics, I have the same/similar issue. I have found it to be an issue with OpenGL.

Win 7 x64. Reaper 5.5. 12gb ram.
GPU: NVIDIA GTX285M. 1gb. OpenGL 3.3

I'm on an i7 960 3.2ghz (from 2010) high powered (at the time) "laptop". I'm not able to upgrade my video card and driver and the version of OpenGL it uses. When the GUI is open, I have much higher CPU usage, about 19%. Turning off the meters brings it down to about 16%. When the GUI is closed it goes down to about 5% (probably the normal amount). Also, the pop up tool tips just flash on and off with an empty box and then stay off. Buffer size 1024.

I have had the exact same behavior with some other plugins that use OpenGL - Unfiltered Audio plugins, and Oeksounds Soothe. Fortunately those plugins have added an option to turn off OpenGL. That solved my CPU problem. The tool tip problem remains though.
Thank you both, Eric and Harry,

The Open GL aspect of this has been the most difficult, especially on Windows computers. I believe I may need to do the same and provide a total Open GL off mode. Any recommendations of who has handled this the best?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Gillespie from Newfangled Audio (and sometimes Eventide)

yellowmix wrote: The themes are a nice touch, I'm fond of the totally rad Twin Turbo. Thanks for the plugin, and all the tips you've provided in here, Dan!
:tu:

pekbro wrote:
Hopefully they wont make a compressor named flatulate... :P
... well now I will.

mcbpete wrote:Fabulous, that's quite a unique take on the EQ band choices. I'm certainly in at that price !

Download quick ...... I hear the iLok drama-queens coming :help:
" iLok drama-queens" Perfect name! Every single product that comes out , here they come whining about iLok.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nice plug! Thanks so much. I like the SWEEP-ABLE Matching and Inverse-Matching functionality. It sounds pretty damned smooth as well, while cutting and boosting. I find the Mel Curves of the Fletcher bands an intriguing concept. Using it just now on several inserts to subtly filter for getting things to gell... It's even great for giving some options to get fighting tracks/loops to play nicely (or even creatively), even if one simply uses the bands for reference and then tries a graphical EQ in place later. Maybe there is a difference in phase response, but it's definitely ballpark. That said, i would be curious to know if there was a reason for not incl. band Mute functionality and/or cuts/boosts which exceed +/-12dB? Thanks again : )

snigelx wrote:That said, i would be curious to know if there was a reason for not incl. band Mute functionality and/or cuts/boosts which exceed +/-12dB? Thanks again : )
Thanks!

Thought about band mute, but you can already solo multiple to get the same sound, not not quite as easily. Every time you add a new feature you're making a product harder to use, so it didn't seem super important. Is it something that you find you're really missing?

I did experiment with +- 18dB pretty early on, but the results just weren't as useful, it made it easier to get unnatural sounds, and it made it harder to set very small values, which are useful in mastering.

DGillespie wrote:\ I believe I may need to do the same and provide a total Open GL off mode. Any recommendations of who has handled this the best?
Both Unfiltered Audio and Soothe have a settings icon which reveals an option to turn off opengl. Both seems to work well. Thanks for looking into it!

bharris22 wrote:Nice find - thanks!
+1
FREE is GOOD

Thanks for the plugin Dan !

Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't find how to activate sidechain in Cubase
(usually, I activate SC in the plugin, then find a new output in my send options. I couldn't find where to activate it here).

DGillespie wrote:
ericzang wrote:Thanks so much Dan for this gift!

Regarding the CPU use and graphics, I have the same/similar issue. I have found it to be an issue with OpenGL.

Win 7 x64. Reaper 5.5. 12gb ram.
GPU: NVIDIA GTX285M. 1gb. OpenGL 3.3

I'm on an i7 960 3.2ghz (from 2010) high powered (at the time) "laptop". I'm not able to upgrade my video card and driver and the version of OpenGL it uses. When the GUI is open, I have much higher CPU usage, about 19%. Turning off the meters brings it down to about 16%. When the GUI is closed it goes down to about 5% (probably the normal amount). Also, the pop up tool tips just flash on and off with an empty box and then stay off. Buffer size 1024.

I have had the exact same behavior with some other plugins that use OpenGL - Unfiltered Audio plugins, and Oeksounds Soothe. Fortunately those plugins have added an option to turn off OpenGL. That solved my CPU problem. The tool tip problem remains though.
Thank you both, Eric and Harry,

The Open GL aspect of this has been the most difficult, especially on Windows computers. I believe I may need to do the same and provide a total Open GL off mode. Any recommendations of who has handled this the best?

Thanks,
Dan

Props on the transparency and openness here Dan. It's something that I put a high value on with devs. I'm enjoying this plugin and looking forward to your future releases. Thanks.

DGillespie wrote:
snigelx wrote:That said, i would be curious to know if there was a reason for not incl. band Mute functionality and/or cuts/boosts which exceed +/-12dB? Thanks again : )
Thanks!

Thought about band mute, but you can already solo multiple to get the same sound, not not quite as easily. <snip> Is it something that you find you're really missing? I did experiment with +- 18dB pretty early on, but the results just weren't as useful, it made it easier to get unnatural sounds, and it made it harder to set very small values, which are useful in mastering.
Hi Dan thanks for writing! Well I did, as a matter of fact, notice that some of the inverse matchings... although very useful, could often produce irritating resonances (depending on the track or loop being filtered by the sidechain)... i felt in this case it would be nice to have a little beefier cut/boost or mute to notch out the frequencies. I'm stupid and didn't think to solo all the bands with the exception of the offending one... ; P but yeah, i guess i might find a -mute- next to each solo switch a tad more convenient... but beggars cannot be choosers and I really appreciate this tool! I understand clearly you meant it for subtle work but it pack potential to do some nice creative eq as well. Thanks again : )

Didn't know I needed another EQ plugin but I really like the results I get with this.
Excellent sound & GUI.
And for free, thanks! :tu:

Return to “Effects”