First hardware synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The System 1 as you say has an awful keyboard. But the System 1m without the kb and with patch points is the better one and the plugouts sound fantastic IME, the SH02 and the SYstem 100 are really stellar (you can download a trial if you wanna check them as a VST). I got a System 8 and I am very very happy (the keys are nice but lack AT which is its biggest fail), and the sound is quite on par with anything on the price range.

Given your budget you are going to need to sacrifice something, either polyphony, keyboard or features.

Personally I would recommend you to don't think whatever you purchase is going to be definitive, the truth is you will probably sell it and buy another thing anyway. So think more about "trying" stuff, buy second hand to avoid losing money and when you pick something and doesn't work for you always think you can get something else.

So don't overthink the decision, just get one in your price range (second hand) and try it to use it in your music.

I would agree going with something that has tons of control in a nice UI (no blofeld or ultranova even if they are in fact good synths). Then decide if you want a Mono or poly synth and then the one which gets more your attention.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:The System 1 as you say has an awful keyboard. But the System 1m without the kb and with patch points is the better one and the plugouts sound fantastic IME, the SH02 and the SYstem 100 are really stellar (you can download a trial if you wanna check them as a VST). I got a System 8 and I am very very happy (the keys are nice but lack AT which is its biggest fail), and the sound is quite on par with anything on the price range.
Never got my hands on the System 1m, but did play around with the System 1 (horrendous keyboard) and didn't find it to be all that impressive as a synth - didn't try the plug-outs though, i'll try the vst's just for the heck of it.
rod_zero wrote:Given your budget you are going to need to sacrifice something, either polyphony, keyboard or features.
Keyboard isn't necessary since i have the MPK, so that's more of a luxury.
rod_zero wrote:Personally I would recommend you to don't think whatever you purchase is going to be definitive, the truth is you will probably sell it and buy another thing anyway. So think more about "trying" stuff, buy second hand to avoid losing money and when you pick something and doesn't work for you always think you can get something else.

So don't overthink the decision, just get one in your price range (second hand) and try it to use it in your music.

I would agree going with something that has tons of control in a nice UI (no blofeld or ultranova even if they are in fact good synths). Then decide if you want a Mono or poly synth and then the one which gets more your attention.
That's good advice, but the variety is overwhelming - that's why i'd like more info to learn from the experience of others - not to mention that a poly VA/analogue synth will never be cheap so i'd like to know exactly what i'm sacrificing.

Novation has the best hardware synth right now real analog mixed with digital Oscillators for best of both worlds.

Jax Pok wrote:Novation has the best hardware synth right now real analog mixed with digital Oscillators for best of both worlds.
Care to elaborate?
I know the Novation Peak just came out and it's dreamy.

have you picked up the VIP3.0 software akai released? it might make using VSTs a bit more pleasant with the MPK.
http://www.akaipro.com/products/new-products/vip

jpmfuk wrote:have you picked up the VIP3.0 software akai released? it might make using VSTs a bit more pleasant with the MPK.
http://www.akaipro.com/products/new-products/vip
Heard about it, didn't have the time to check it out.

Elektron Analog Four (mk1) can be had for a steal at the moment. You'd certainly be able to find one within your budget. Maybe not the most immediate synth but awesome sequencer and lots of features for your money. Check it out :)

sazb30 wrote:Elektron Analog Four (mk1) can be had for a steal at the moment. You'd certainly be able to find one within your budget. Maybe not the most immediate synth but awesome sequencer and lots of features for your money. Check it out :)
Yes! I'll definitely look for one, wasn't aware of the price drop due to the mkII's release since those aren't exactly affordable.

Flooper wrote:
sazb30 wrote:Elektron Analog Four (mk1) can be had for a steal at the moment. You'd certainly be able to find one within your budget. Maybe not the most immediate synth but awesome sequencer and lots of features for your money. Check it out :)
Yes! I'll definitely look for one, wasn't aware of the price drop due to the mkII's release since those aren't exactly affordable.
I picked up a mint one for £600. They're even cheaper in the US. The workflow is a little leftfield but it's a very cool bit of kit. What sort of music do you make?

sazb30 wrote:
Flooper wrote:
I picked up a mint one for £600. They're even cheaper in the US. The workflow is a little leftfield but it's a very cool bit of kit. What sort of music do you make?
My main focus is ambient, chillout, Hans Zimmer like sketches with a variety of orchestral instruments.
No techno or trance, i like to produce soothing music.

The uQ and Q only sport Alt1 and Alt2 wavetables, which compared to the uW
and Blofeld, seems rather on the low side.

Curious, it sounds like you have already made up your mind.
To me, the Blofeld is easier to program than a JX-3P minus the PG-200.
The ends do justify the means, and sometimes, one knob per function are
highly overated!

chk071 wrote: Yep. And about the only reason why i don't own a hardware synth yet. :? Blofeld: Too much menu diving with only a handful of knobs. .

zaphod betamax wrote: The ends do justify the means, and sometimes, one knob per function are
highly overated!
Not really. Compared to using the GUI of Largo, it was a huge pain to program Blofeld. And, of course, that would be MUCH better if there actually was one knob per function. Unless you like 4 clicks to access one function. Too much menu diving also lets you quickly lose overview.

The key word was sometimes, it was not an absolute statement.
Regardless, I wouldn't know about Largo, and for me at least,
the Bofeld is super fun to program from the front, and quick.
But I will stand with my statements, as it is a personal opinion.

Maybe consider Bastl Kastle. A modular synthesizer with a lot of great features!
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”