VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

vortico wrote:The "dev" versions are not ABI compatible with each versioned release. When v0.3.2 and any future version releases, you'll need to recompile it for that version specifically. I use git tags for marking releases, so you can checkout by version number. I prefer the git tags method to the dev branch method.

I should adopt some form of semantic versioning once things slow down and stabilize a bit to make it easier on developers. And help with cross platform builds by writing TravisCI scripts or Docker scripts or something.
Very good. I did not spot the tags on the repository yet.

I saw your switch to svg for the background. Are you planning to make it resizable? And, if so, does that mean that the png support will at some point dropped?

I guess I will hold back with the background design for now.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi, i try to build the project in windows (msys2, mingw 64) in view to have fun by tweaking the code of fundamental modules. (I m a total noob). I get this error when i try to make the makefile in fundamental repository.

Raphaël@Rapha▒l-PC MINGW64 /rack/plugins/fundamental
$ make
g++ -o plugin.dll build/src/Fundamental.cpp.o build/src/Delay.cpp.o build/src/VCF.cpp.o build/src/SEQ3.cpp .o build/src/ADSR.cpp.o build/src/Scope.cpp.o build/src/VCO.cpp.o build/src/VCA.cpp.o build/src/VCMixer.cp p.o -shared -L../../ -lRack
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: canno t find -lRack
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../../compile.mk:39: plugin.dll] Error 1

Thanks

rafzael wrote:Hi, i try to build the project in windows (msys2, mingw 64) in view to have fun by tweaking the code of fundamental modules. (I m a total noob). I get this error when i try to make the makefile in fundamental repository.

Raphaël@Rapha▒l-PC MINGW64 /rack/plugins/fundamental
$ make
g++ -o plugin.dll build/src/Fundamental.cpp.o build/src/Delay.cpp.o build/src/VCF.cpp.o build/src/SEQ3.cpp .o build/src/ADSR.cpp.o build/src/Scope.cpp.o build/src/VCO.cpp.o build/src/VCA.cpp.o build/src/VCMixer.cp p.o -shared -L../../ -lRack
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: canno t find -lRack
make: *** [../../compile.mk:39: plugin.dll] Error 1

Thanks
It looks like your rack itself did not build correctly. A fully compiled rack seems to be a requirement for building pugins.

Martin

Thanks a lot, yes rack is not properly build because it returns me this error

$ make
g++ -o Rack.exe Rack.res build/src/util.cpp.o build/src/app.cpp.o build/src/main.cpp.o build/src/gui.cpp.o build/src/plugin.cpp.o build/src/dsp.cpp.o build/src/widgets.cpp.o build/src/settings.cpp.o build/src/engine.cpp.o build/src/app/Port.cpp.o build/src/app/SpriteKnob.cpp.o build/src/app/CircularShadow.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGPort.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGPanel.cpp.o build/src/app/RackWidget.cpp.o build/src/app/Toolbar.cpp.o build/src/app/RackRail.cpp.o build/src/app/Light.cpp.o build/src/app/Panel.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGSlider.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGKnob.cpp.o build/src/app/WireWidget.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGSwitch.cpp.o build/src/app/SVGScrew.cpp.o build/src/app/ModuleWidget.cpp.o build/src/app/Knob.cpp.o build/src/app/PluginManagerWidget.cpp.o build/src/app/ParamWidget.cpp.o build/src/app/RackScene.cpp.o build/src/core/core.cpp.o build/src/core/AudioInterface.cpp.o build/src/core/MidiInterface.cpp.o build/src/util/request.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Button.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Label.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Menu.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Widget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/SpriteWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/ScrollWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/MenuItem.cpp.o build/src/widgets/PasswordField.cpp.o build/src/widgets/SVGWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/ChoiceButton.cpp.o build/src/widgets/ProgressBar.cpp.o build/src/widgets/ScrollBar.cpp.o build/src/widgets/TransformWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Slider.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Tooltip.cpp.o build/src/widgets/MenuEntry.cpp.o build/src/widgets/TextField.cpp.o build/src/widgets/Scene.cpp.o build/src/widgets/QuantityWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/MenuLabel.cpp.o build/src/widgets/RadioButton.cpp.o build/src/widgets/FramebufferWidget.cpp.o build/src/widgets/MenuOverlay.cpp.o build/ext/nanovg/src/nanovg.c.o build/ext/osdialog/osdialog_win.c.o -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lpthread -Wl,--export-all-symbols,--out-implib,libRack.a -mwindows -lgdi32 -lopengl32 -lcomdlg32 -lole32 -Ldep/lib -lglew32 -lglfw3dll -lcurl -lzip -lportaudio_x64 -lportmidi -Wl,-Bstatic -ljansson -lsamplerate
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lglfw3dll
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lportaudio_x64
make: *** [compile.mk:39: Rack.exe] Error 1

Coud you help? many thanks

Did you follow exactly the instructions on the github?

It now looks like the things in dep/ are missing or did not build correctly.

Also, you should keep in mind, that if you want your plugins to play nicely with the 0.3.1 binary, you should check out and build the v0.3.1 version from the github.

Yes, there was a problem, with a zipped file, i zip it manually, and launch the makefile once more. Since i don't realise that dep chould include all necessary lib for building the rack I had install a few (samplerate, portaudio, libzip, ...)manually but not correctly apparently... Now mingw deal with the dep makefile... I hope it will work correctly.

Many thanks

it doesn't work, it seems that the problem come from unzip lib

unzip portaudio-r1891-build.zip
make: unzip: Command not found

rafzael wrote:it doesn't work, it seems that the problem come from unzip lib

unzip portaudio-r1891-build.zip
make: unzip: Command not found
You might not have the complete mingw environment.

Try whether running this command helps:

Code: Select all

pacman -S gcc make  mingw-w64-i686-gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc

first draft of a Foldback Distortion Unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAKSXHtFO7s

autodafe wrote:first draft of a Foldback Distortion Unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAKSXHtFO7s
Is that the same as wavefolding, it looks similar?

I've got a Toppobrillo Triple Wavefolder, slightly different to the usual one, and I frigging love it
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I am not 100% sure but I believe that Foldback Distortion and Waveshaping refer to the same stuff ;-)

:hyper: Come on VST version! :hyper:

Russell Grand wrote::hyper: Come on VST version! :hyper:
Softube Modular killer?

Maybe not as this doesn't emulate the analog side.............yet
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Russell Grand wrote::hyper: Come on VST version! :hyper:
Softube Modular killer?

Maybe not as this doesn't emulate the analog side.............yet
The analogue side of a single module surely can be coded inside the module also in VCV. What would worry me is that the whole rack currently runs at normal samplerate, and oversampling is only done inside the modules (if necessary). This works fine for each module, but does not reproduce nicely feedback loops.

Softube seems to run the whole engine at a higher rate, hence giving a better, albeit not perfect, representation of feedback loops.

It will be interesting to see whether in future, in particular when the VST bridge comes out, VCV will offer the option to run the whole engine at a higher samplerate.

The other issue which will get interesting is, to which extent the VST bridge will allow automation of parameters.

Image It's right there on the toolbar.

No VST parameters, for the first version of VCV Bridge at least.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Return to “Modular Synthesis”