Modulator Question

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to create an easy-mode preset that includes what looks like a conventional LFO: triangle wave, pulse wave, etc. plus a sample and hold random "wave" choice.

With the modulator editor open, it's easy to switch between normal and random mode by clicking on the appropriate tab. Can you do that under the control of a multi-parameter? In other words, I want a drop-down list type for the MP with the waveforms listed. The selection from that list would then cause either normal or random mode to be enabled in the modulator. I don't see a way to make that happen.

Thanks.

This might get you started:

Code: Select all

$eNqFUsFuwjAMvfMVlu9AS2FwaEAqNBPS2Ca67Z7RDKqFpErTAX8-t0CptknzIY6fnefYeuHsuFfwJW2RGc3Q73kIUm9Mmuktw9J9dCc4m3bC1apULouETrkSeittHT8LK-bSSTsNF8IJoPzn3JTaMbzDOnqkvMfwxWb0Sskb6DNMMt0CBgzXcuN+lAVUJg63eMiwyIWV-g0aXaABwv3rcm6UsQwnHufRgPMai9PMGbsyqSQ2qaiLsQjnuGIpECoihg-8CZJD5jY7hCSXMmVI+0iczG9TvQlVUqnXu94vPCd4JyrQRITTsNkMxEe3lgWtFoGXSq2r7TEcIiw1pXOjhJN1m5U4NtwjhIbh-DXqUlKpsQV0ofqnTz7ZiVxePU79lkV+wEctW4wCPm5ZPA54NI8ai6OAey2Lvd9xeO63sOJA8jjP7VXDmkw7IGFsi4gGHfrY-wuEY72FU3VSQb9mI99SUb+SEcmt-5-eOt+6eNVS
It's a Multiparameter, in Banks mode, targetting Modulator 1. Copy the code above and paste it into a spare Multiparameter Editor. We do not have a drop-down list so I have made it a Selector.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thank you, sir! I'll give it a try and report back.

OK, that didn't quite answer my question. I have no problem getting the multiparameter to select among several waveforms. My challenge is to get the modulator to toggle between normal mode and random mode. It does not appear that there's any way to do that under the control of a multiparamter. A workaround would be to use two modulators, one in normal mode and one in random mode and enable/disable based upon which mode I want to have happening.

Another question about modulators (and multiparameters as well), one can set a modulator parameter as enabled/disabled from a multiparameter, but only for the first four parameters. Only the first four parameters are listed as targets. Is there any way to do this? Learn and clicking on the enable checkbox doesn't work.

(a) I am not sure what you mean by "random mode", but switching to it is not a parameter.

(b) As far as I know, only by making the target parameter one of the first 4.
Inspired by ...

I know how to do it.
Map the MP to the shape in normal mode.
The change the mod to random mode.
Then map the MP to LFO modulation (i think it's called that, it's the top right parameter in the random window)
When LFO modulation is at 100% the normal LFO tab will be in full effect, when at 0% the random tab will be in full effect.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

^^
Got an MP preset?

What / where is this 'random mode' of which you speak? Or do you both mean the 'Random' tab?
Last edited by DarkStar on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspired by ...

In the modulator there are tabs along the top. I'm not in front of my PC i will share a preset tomorrow.
But from memory they are "normal" "follower" "envelope" "RANDOM" and "pitch"

Ah ha!
Info page wrote:LFO Amount
LFO modulation defines the amount of LFO modulation applied in addition to the random generator. With 0% the modulator uses only the randomizer; with 100% the modulator does the same job as if the modulator were in Normal mode. To set the LFO parameters switch to normal mode temporarily.
The first bit says "in addition to", which does ont seem consistent with what follows.
Last edited by DarkStar on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inspired by ...

So when on the random tab with "lfo modulation" at 0% it is fully random but when at 100% it will be normal lfo mode.

jmg8 wrote:I know how to do it.
Map the MP to the shape in normal mode.
The change the mod to random mode.
Then map the MP to LFO modulation (i think it's called that, it's the top right parameter in the random window)
When LFO modulation is at 100% the normal LFO tab will be in full effect, when at 0% the random tab will be in full effect.
Aha!!! Inspired thinking indeed. A lovely (if somewhat devious) solution.

Many thanks, jmg8.

Now, if I can just think of a way to get more than the first four parameters to be subject to being enabled/disabled. I was wondering if there were some way to have the modulator modulate something in a multiparameter which would pass that modulation signal straight on through to the multiparamters targets.

In other words, a modulator sends its modulation to two multiparameters, each of which has four targets. Now we have a total of eight targets, of which one is enabled at any one time. Is this making sense?

Can you send me a preset? I will probably be able to sort if for you, but don't completely understand what your asking.

1. What are you trying to enable/disable? FX, multiparameters, modulators?

2. Are you wanting to create switches/buttons on the easy screen that enable/disable things?

Please try and explain again, but from the very beginning, step by step. I'm sure there will be a way. There almost always is with Melda.

jmg8 wrote:Can you send me a preset? I will probably be able to sort if for you, but don't completely understand what your asking.

1. What are you trying to enable/disable? FX, multiparameters, modulators?

2. Are you wanting to create switches/buttons on the easy screen that enable/disable things?

Please try and explain again, but from the very beginning, step by step. I'm sure there will be a way. There almost always is with Melda.
Actually, while I was tossing and turning in the middle of the night trying to get back to sleep, I had an inspiration. When I have time to experiment (in a day or three), I'll report back and include a preset if my idea proves workable.

But the problem, in general is this. You may have a large number of modulation targets for a modulator. However, to enable/disable them from a multiparameter, you only can access the enabled state of the first four parameters (i.e., targets) because only the first four parameters appear in the hierarchical selection window.

In other words, open the editor for any multiparameter. Add a target by clicking the + sign. You should then see a window with a list of targets. Open any modulator in that list and look at what's there. The modulator itself has a list of targets, and these are listed as parameters in the multiparameter editor, but only the first four are listed. If you want to affect the enabled/disabled state, you can only do it in this window. The enabled property here is not learnable. But you will note that only the first four parameters are sub-properties of a modulator.

I realize this is a bit convoluted, but I don't know how to explain it any more clearly. I would blame no one for just saying "sheesh, I think I'll pass on this one". :hihi:

Return to “MeldaProduction”