Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensemble vs EWQL Hollywood Orchestra Silver

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have the EWQL Hollywood Orchestra Diamond on my Desktop DAW at home and this is my go-to orchestra library, I love the sounds. Now I am building a laptop DAW for my portable compositional tool so that I can work on my music during my lunch hour at work. I already have Dell Precision i7 with 32GB RAM, Audient iD14 interface, & Reaper....now I am looking at a light orchestra library & easy to use to speed up my writing process. What is in my mind is either Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensemble (seems it is easy to use by looking at the overview video) or EWQL Hollywood Orchestra Silver (love Hollywood sounds) ?

Any comments on this?

Thanks.

hc.

I have the original EWQL SO Silver, originally a KOMPAKT instrument.

It's pretty good, it's lite as far as articulations; it has a 'woody' and not real sweet character in the strings, which I used somewhat recently, although I had to get busy in the audio editor from a real generic result I rendered to effect what I wanted (which was true overall). It resembles LASS in character, albeit far less available such as articulations and there is no 'desking'. There is some nice percussion in it, useful cymbal swells that as long as you place it right are fine, although I would probably go Time Machine and stretch according to placement if I trotted it out today (and I do not need to). I don't recall the winds or brass much. Wait, I remember alto flute. Sounded good, not much control, no legato iirc. So quality is generally good, but there were some not-so-great edits in some of the string samples. Not a big problem unless you need the entire length and they're just unlooped sus samples so ya don't, not really.

Full disclosure: I paid 100 bucks out the door at Guitar Center for it back in the day. So I would not value it higher than that.

lol sorry I missed the modifier Hollywood in there entirely, so here's me prattling on about something not too relevant
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For sketching Berlin Inspire would be my choice lovely tone but very limited articulations and instruments. Very light footprint.

I still think KH Diamond is great bang for buck, but later KH libraries don't impress me. I would stick with Hollywood if you like that sound.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”