Reason 10 incoming

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

strange logic: if vst support had been part of v.10, a lot of people would have been excited. we got it for free and now we have synths (Kontakt and Omnisphere alone would have been more than enough), sounds and effects galore and v.10 offers synths and sounds for 129 bucks and nothing else. :dog:
"It dreamed itself along"

EvilDragon wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Props totally losing the plot.
You mean they add to much to the update?:
I mean they don't fix workflow issues, GUI is still crap (all old rack devices are really too tiny nowadays)
Well speak for yourself regarding GUI. GUI is far fro being a crap. Actually it is far better then most of Kontakt instruments you are recommending.

Rearding GUI size it is not too tiny nowdays because it actually it is same size since forever. Not all people use 4k (yes it is funny at that resolution) in fact you can google top used resolutions worldwide and on any chart you won't even find 1920x1080 (full HD) as being most used let alone above that. And at that resolution GUI is just fine.

In fact Kontakt suffer same issue the same long years yet i don't see you jumping in every kontakt thread moaning about same issue (you are doing exactly opposite in fact.).

Do you even own Reason? It seems to me you are hater of everything which have "R" as starting letter. Roland is likely on top of your list.

On the issues side i can only agree with you but maybe these are on to do list for Reason 10 release? How can you tell?

He likes Reaper so NO that R thing won't work here .

fedexnman wrote:He likes Reaper so NO that R thing won't work here .
I wouldn't know what the one thing has to do with the other. And, as far as i know him from here, i'm sure his criticism will be honest. And, frankly, i agree with him. The GUI is quite horrible. Far from what Reason used to be like in version 5, on 1024x768 monitors. Things have change a bit since then.

chk071 wrote: The GUI is quite horrible. Far from what Reason used to be like in version 5, on 1024x768 monitors. Things have change a bit since then.
Agreed. I stopped using Reason once I moved to 25" 1440p screen, my eyes couldn't take it anymore ;)

Wow... .. . . :dog: So glad I'm on logic now :lol: I was kinda gaining some hope with the VST update but this..... ? Sure the new instruments might be nice, but I would have expected a much broader upgrade across the board, refreshing all the painfully old rack units that I just can't stand to look at one more second. I've always imagined a high def 2.0 look of the whole rack. And for v 10, like someone said, I also would have expected something that feels like a huge milestone, like reaching some kind of ultimate version of the software. Also, thanks for now giving away things for free that some users paid their hard earned cash on.... (that's never gonna work without badwill from existing customers)

Why didn't they just add those new instruments as RE's instead? That's also quite a switcheroo from what they've been doing since RE's was introduced with new synths such as Parsec, PX7 etc.. (They've been selling most new things as RE's instead of including them in updates, something people didn't like, but propellerhead stuck to to really solidify the new way of handling RE's) So this is essentially yet another reason not to ever buy an RE.

Overall I get the feeling that Reason is becoming more and more stuck in the past with the idea that everything you did in v 1.0 should still work. If they do a retina hd facelift of the entire app, I would suggest hiding all the old ones in a legacy folder. The fact that these brand new instruments is done in the same style as the old ones is also pointing to that they're probably far from having the retina upgrade happening, maybe in R11 ? Probably unlikely...

The impression I get from the Product Manager of Reason though is quite solid and someone I would put faith in for the future of reason, my guess is that it's a pretty hard situation for them, probably working with quite a small team/budget and trying to make the most out of it. Probably got an order from upstairs to make the next update happen at date X with budget Y.
Last edited by mrj1nx on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I finally updated to version 9 so I get version 10 for free. Maybe they will address sequencer and resolution in a free 10.5 update.

patchhunter wrote:I finally updated to version 9 so I get version 10 for free. Maybe they will address sequencer and resolution in a free 10.5 update.
I'm quietly hoping for that :ud:

Props are happy releasing small updates that don't exactly entice swarms of people on competing platforms, but are almost certainly worthwhile if you use Reason regularly. As a Reason user, two flagship synths are worth the cost, especially since Props have reliably put out point updates with major features. But in an industry where major updates come out every 4 years and are supposed to "change everything", yeah, I'm not surprised the average Live user is unimpressed.

I think it's a defensible strategy. It's entirely stupid to switch DAWs in 2017, so orienting your product launches to blow away users of competing platforms as if it's 2004 (when people actually thought anything would displace PT in pro studios) is a fool's errand. So they're just releasing bundles of features that are worthwhile for regular users and give them a flash of PR for their real target: budding musicians that don't own a DAW or aren't heavily invested in one.

I've been interested in Cubase on and off for 10+ years, but I can almost guarantee you I'm not going to watch more than one little teaser video when they launch their next mega-update. It's telling that despite all the derision here, everyone seems intimately familiar with many of the features that have been added to Reason in the last 5+ years - I certainly couldn't do the same for any DAW I don't use! So maybe it's an effective product strategy compared to the traditional "megabundle" update.

mrj1nx wrote: Why didn't they just add those new instruments as RE's instead? That's also quite a switcheroo from what they've been doing since RE's was introduced with new synths such as Parsex, PX7 etc.. (They've been selling most new things as RE's instead of including them in updates, something people didn't like, but propellerhead stuck to to really solidify the new way of handling RE's) So this is essentially yet another reason not to ever buy an RE.
Are you also shocked that Apple includes a lot of software with Macs but *sells* other software? Is it a "switcheroo" for Ableton to include many instruments and effects but sell other packs like Orchestral Strings or even a completely separate package in the Suite? Maybe I overestimate the sophistication of the average consumer, but I've never found this that complicated. Almost every DAW company sells extras.

I've always considered Reason more of a plugin itself than a DAW. I've tried using the DAW portion of it and I hate it with a passion. It's the most backasswards recording software on the planet. However, rewired into a different host, it can be a phenomenal tool which is why this update is once again a huge disappointment to me: Rewire is the most buggy pain in the ass to use and not worth the struggle to get working in another DAW. I've been hoping for years that they would update it but alas, here we are still waiting and wanting.

Mystic wrote:I've always considered Reason more of a plugin itself than a DAW. I've tried using the DAW portion of it and I hate it with a passion.
What's it missing for you? Props monitor these threads and have a habit of zeroing in on the biggest complaints! I agree that it's on the basic side, but my sequencing needs are pretty simple. I find it more pleasurable to use than Live, but not the last version of Logic that I used, but those are my only reference points these days.

saturdaysaint wrote:What's it missing for you? Props monitor these threads and have a habit of zeroing in on the biggest complaints! I agree that it's on the basic side, but my sequencing needs are pretty simple. I find it more pleasurable to use than Live, but not the last version of Logic that I used, but those are my only reference points these days.
Interesting they would bother being here considering they shut down their own forums because people were complaining too much there when 6.5 came out.

The fact that it's basic is one of the biggest problems. I couldn't do most of my work in their sequencer because the midi editing tools are so weak. Not even multichannel midi support? Cmon. Is this 1997? No scalable graphics for large resolutions? I would much rather have Reason be used as a plugin itself than to deal with their sequencer.

Like I said, my biggest gripe is about the lack of updates to Rewire but hell, there's not been updates to their existing main modules for years either and some of those are pretty incredible to use. Rather than spending time on existing core items, they just put together what is essentially an RE pack and slap a big shiny REASON 10 sticker on it and call it a day.

Mystic wrote:
saturdaysaint wrote:What's it missing for you? Props monitor these threads and have a habit of zeroing in on the biggest complaints! I agree that it's on the basic side, but my sequencing needs are pretty simple. I find it more pleasurable to use than Live, but not the last version of Logic that I used, but those are my only reference points these days.
Interesting they would bother being here considering they shut down their own forums because people were complaining too much there when 6.5 came out.
We're everywhere. ;)

The forums were not shut down due to complaints though, it was for a multitude of reasons and I think ReasonTalk has become the de-facto forum. We're happy to support them. And for the record, as product manager I still regularly monitor both KVR, ReasonTalk and other communities. :party:

As for the new instruments, grab a trial once it's released and form an opinion! For me, Europa's one of the best synths I've ever used (and I've used quite a few synths). To have that readily available in the box in a DAW is pretty darn cool.

Anosou wrote:We're everywhere. ;)

The forums were not shut down due to complaints though, it was for a multitude of reasons and I think ReasonTalk has become the de-facto forum. We're happy to support them. And for the record, as product manager I still regularly monitor both KVR, ReasonTalk and other communities. :party:

As for the new instruments, grab a trial once it's released and form an opinion! For me, Europa's one of the best synths I've ever used (and I've used quite a few synths). To have that readily available in the box in a DAW is pretty darn cool.
I think you missed the point of my entire complaint completely. I'm not complaining about the instruments; in honesty, I don't really care about the new instruments. Reason is useless to me until you guys spend time either rebuilding ReWire from the ground up or you make a VST compatible version of Reason that I can use in my own sequencer. I have no interest in fiddling around in the Reason sequencer and I think a lighter weight VST that gives the user a version of Reason to use in their own DAW that removes the sequencer features and gives them access to the rack only would be a huge selling point because there would be no more need for ReWire in most cases if you have no plans on rebuilding it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”