Reason 10 incoming

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

The big '10', the Reason 'X' - I would have thought they would have done the big GUI revamp for this one, its looking really dated. I still think Reason took the wrong direction, it would have made a great VSTi plug in rack instrument. Love to have that rack and basic sequencer on my iPAD though instead I just have THOR!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Mystic wrote:I think you missed the point of my entire complaint completely. I'm not complaining about the instruments; in honesty, I don't really care about the new instruments. Reason is useless to me until you guys spend time either rebuilding ReWire from the ground up or you make a VST compatible version of Reason that I can use in my own sequencer. I have no interest in fiddling around in the Reason sequencer and I think a lighter weight VST that gives the user a version of Reason to use in their own DAW that removes the sequencer features and gives them access to the rack only would be a huge selling point because there would be no more need for ReWire in most cases if you have no plans on rebuilding it.
That's completely fair. The instrument comment wasn't directed at you. It sounds like you're pretty happy with your DAW! That's a nice position to be in. Interesting thought about Reason or Reason-things as VST regardless.

Seems not long since 9 came out

aMUSEd wrote:Seems not long since 9 came out

so true!!!

but Props have investors now...

they want a check...

I'm actually glad i'm out of that upgrade cycle soon with Cubase, which i plan to ditch in favour of Studio One, to be honest...

Of course, you don't HAVE to upgrade, but, realistically, it is likely that you do. Coz new, shiny, and features.

June 21st, 2016 in fact. So 16 months between 9 and 10.

My goodness, now I started enjoying selling Reason on 9.5. Before they finish fixing what is there they came up with a new paid version. I was worried they would do that and it did happen. Introducing VST but doesn't work UA. Now people have to pay for UA fix to come. The sequencer is the way it is. I believe I will start to enjoy that I sold Reason. But I will miss you though. Best of luck!

So do you get a further reduction if you already bought some of the REs?

neverenoughfunk wrote:

so true!!!

but Props have investors now...

they want a check...
Yes, those diabolical investors, keeping Props on the same release cadence they've been on since Reason 5 in 2010!

Based on the latest major version, the release of the new version is about as expected

Reason 7: May 2013

[17 Months]

Reason 8: September 2014

[19 Months]

Reason 9: June, 2016

[16 Months]

Reason X: October, 2017

chk071 wrote:I'm actually glad i'm out of that upgrade cycle soon with Cubase, which i plan to ditch in favour of Studio One, to be honest...
As a current Studio One owner, plan on waiting a lot longer in between update cycles than you would with Reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: That said, PreSonus usually adds some pretty hefty workflow improvements. Rarely any decent content, though (which likely won't affect most who use it anyway).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reason GUI is from another era, stuck there and frankly quite behind in usability, but anyone using reaper complaining about the GUI of other DAW must be joking. It is not that Reaper GUI is ugly or really bad but it lacks direction, concepts and principles, that's why it fails.

Bitwig, Live, logic, studio one, maschine those have GUIs with direction and concepts behind them that make them coherent.

It is obvious Reaper GUI is just a front end for the functions, unlike other software where people actually thought how people will use it and developed concepts and solutions. I may not like Reason GUI concept but it at least has one.

Coming back to Reason: yes it is quite strange that after openning support for vst's they launch more synths... seems like a total waste of resources.
dedication to flying

Well, I'm doing things much faster in Reaper than I do the same things in Reason (and let's not talk about things that Reason cannot do at all, like editing/recording/playing back sysex, polyphonic AT, etc.), so it's that's not it. :)

The Reason rack gets really clunky to use in bigger projects, despite how "cool" it might look at first.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Well their website and this thread confirms my "Propellerhead-lowered" expectations: this is yet another upgrade that means nothing to me. I've said it before repeatedly, but Propellerheads clearly aren't listening: update the GUI (no, don't further flatten it; redraw the rack content at high resolution!!).

This is an abysmal-looking business move. I would be happy if all Propellerhead rack extensions were part of the core product, but bundling other people's content is the same nonsense that Cakewalk does which leads to new versions dropping said content when deals expire. Look at the Line 6 device in Reason... Third party content should not be part of a product's core release.

Bundling previously separately-sold devices should not be part of the core product unless you want to piss off the customers who already bought those addons. New content shouldn't be the only change to the product in a major new version. It's an illusion to lure new or impulse buyers, not serving the existing customers.

Yup. They lost the plot. Haven't had it for some time, it seems. Reason seems to now be a product headed for regular profit-boost releases, rather than meaningful updates that actually serve to truly improve the product.

I'm still on Reason 6.5 and 7. The added stuff between 7 and 10 would be nice, since I don't buy rack extensions, but I've zero interest without a GUI update that fixes the tiny graphics problem. Nothing has changed for me. Still not upgrading.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ditched Reason after version 4, still haven't seen anything that would make me come back, not even VST support. It's looking beyond dated at this point, I can't even imagine the struggle on a 4K monitor. Plus the sequencer needs a major makeover. I guess adding new shiny toys and samples gets people to pay for the upgrade....shrug.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”