One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (Taron is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Noisetar

Hi everyone ...

Just updated my submission. Did a little Mid/Side fine tuning ... sounds a little more open now - A/B-ing it for me makes a big difference. Hope you still like it ...

So .. add Voxengo MSED V3.0 to the FX list in the master track ...

dB

My entry, a tribute to the 'Rocket Man' who generates a lot of noise.

I think 'fun' would be too strong a term for this synth, but at least I got to practice my automation skills :)

I OTT, layers and EQ to get the guitar sound. No saturation/distortion effects were used anywhere.

Noisetar x 21
OTT x 4
Transient x 4
TAL Reverb x 1
Tempo Delay x 1
OldSkoolVerb x 2
MStereoExpander x 1

Standard Ableton effects (EQ, Reverb, Delay, Compressor, Limiter, Utility)

https://soundcloud.com/user-947450193/g ... et-osc-103

Unfortunately Soundcloud really mangled my hi-hat sound, sounds so thin and warbly after processing.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

generaldiomedes wrote: I used a cab simulators, OTT and layers to get the guitar sound, however no saturation/distortion effects were used anywhere.

NadIR (cab simulator) x 2

Unfortunately Soundcloud really mangled my hi-hat sound, sounds so thin and warbly after processing.
1.) Please check whether your use of the cab simulator falls under the "don't use distortion in a way the original sound is not recognizable anymore" rule.

2.) Please upload flac to soundcloud. It's the best way to have loseless audio upload and low file size. I got my best results when dithering output to 44,1 KHz 16 bit and saving as flac (Internal Processing 96 and 32 bit). If you save and upload mp3 you gonna have several transcoding steps which alter your material.

1.) Please check whether your use of the cab simulator falls under the "don't use distortion in a way the original sound is not recognizable anymore" rule.
I asked earlier in the thread and got the answer that cab simulators are OK. Since cab simulators are all or nothing, they should be prohibited if not OK. They really are just a fancy EQ.

BTW I am not using any distortion or saturation effects at all - I was very careful with that. Noisetar is distorted enough all by itself. Several of the guitar sounds aren't using a cab sim and sound even more distorted than those with.

Anyhow when I get some time I'll post some A/B using the cab sim vs. me trying to simulate the sound with EQ and the thread can be the judge. The biggest sound difference is with OTT anyhow, and I assume that is legal since I have seen it referenced on many projects.

After hard battle with this synth here is my result. This was for sure hardest to tame. Lots of bugs :lol: . Most annoying was - clicking on note in piano roll opened few instances of noisetar web page. Oh and where is noise there are percusions for sure :D .
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/this-is-my-way

Made for KVR OSC #103
FL Studio 12.3
20 instances of Noisetar by NUSofting
DAW FX's:
1x Maximus
7x Fruity parametric EQ 2
3x Soundgoodizer
4x Fruity Reeverb
1x Fruity Reeverb 2
4x Fruity Stereo Shaper
1x EQUO

Other FX's:
2x Amplio 2

Updated original - cab sim effect taken out. Still sounds distorted as f**k but with no controversy :lol:

generaldiomedes wrote:Updated original - cab sim effect taken out. Still sounds distorted as f**k but with no controversy :lol:
Hey general! No controversy here. My question was inspired by a feeling that I'm sometimes lost with "rules" here and how they are interpreted. I give you an example: I saw a lot of people use a "creative delay" (forgot the name) which offers chorus and distortion in the delay path if I remember correctly...and I thought "huh!? chorus? distortion? One moment, isn't that against the rules?". Then I shrugged off and sighed and went on...
Therefore the intention of my question was towfold a.) to help you safe your track from discussions (I'm sorry that I didn't backtrack the complete conversation to be able to find your question about the plugin in question) and b.) get some clarity for myself...and maybe for others, too.

BTW: Have you tried uploading flac format to soundcloud? I mean to protect the quality of your hh...

@ALL: And, I have to tell you guys, that I admire your patience and skills in fiddling with this "interesting synth" and the results you were able to squeeze out of it. Because fullbucket has released some stuff recently, I'm pretty sure upcoming OSC will be with some of his stuff again.

Hello! This is first challenge for me.

DAW - Ableton Live
12x - Noisetar
All plugins are Ableton's
11x - Eq Eight
2x - Overdrive
5x - Compressor
6x - Autofilter (for automations)
6x - Reverb
1x - Autopan
3x - Ping Pong Delay

https://soundcloud.com/metralax/spyart-mirror

Cheers!

Spyart wrote:Hello! This is first challenge for me.
[...]
Cheers!
Welcome Spyart/Ralax - I like your track, the drums&percs and the dark atmosphere are nice.
I could make use some of your sounds to brush up my track ;-)
In terms of mix all tracks seem to have the problem of mud in the mids therefore I blame this on the "synth".
BTW: Good portfolio on soundcloud overall. Enjoyed skipping thru your tracks.

Iirc, if you enable downloads on soundcloud, users get the original file you uploaded, and mp3 is only used for streaming. (I upload wav 16 bits usually.)

] Peter:H [ wrote: ... In terms of mix all tracks seem to have the problem of mud in the mids therefore I blame this on the "synth"...
I agree here Peter, when I analyse my track, their is a hole in the mids - getting some in there just muddies the water (so to speak!) - no amount of EQ-ing works - basically if there's no mid to start with, then no EQ will add it! I'm just living with it, and hoping the bass "feel" helps the brain not notice the hole in the mids too much.

dB

] Peter:H [ wrote:In terms of mix all tracks seem to have the problem of mud in the mids therefore I blame this on the "synth".
Yeah almost impossible to get nice or rather say any mids out of this "synth". When EQ is used to enhnance mids it also enhance distortion :P .
] Peter:H [ wrote:@ALL: And, I have to tell you guys, that I admire your patience and skills in fiddling with this "interesting synth" and the results you were able to squeeze out of it.
I think the same. Problem is not that it is limited synth but there are so many bugs that makes hard to do anything. I have to re-work whole track and presets few times because of bugs and even after that I wasn't sure if I can finish it. Looks like some combination of parameters make presets problematic (different sound after project reload or this like "autofadin" problem. So limited features are limited even more at the end.

"synth" and "interesting synth" makes me really :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone who joined this round is a Winner :party: .

- long releases interfering with other notes producing quiet notes
- some patches appear to react inversely to velocity
- BPmelody results in sound randomly increasing in volume/resonance?? over time. I am rolling the dice every time I render.

Whenever the developer is available again I would be happy to provide a sample project to show the bugs.

As an enhancement it would be nice to be able to type in exact numerical values for parameters.

generaldiomedes wrote:- long releases interfering with other notes producing quiet notes
I used a separate instance for every note - treated as a mono-synth. Seemed to help
- some patches appear to react inversely to velocity
Come to think of it, I probably came across this - I remember being very confused by what I was hearing sometimes!
- BPmelody results in sound randomly increasing in volume/resonance?? over time. I am rolling the dice every time I render.
Not seen this, maybe it's also related to other things as well?
As an enhancement it would be nice to be able to type in exact numerical values for parameters.
Agree, all devs take note!

dB

doctorbob wrote:
generaldiomedes wrote:- long releases interfering with other notes producing quiet notes
I used a separate instance for every note - treated as a mono-synth. Seemed to help
I just don't have the patience for that :) I just went with a short release instead.

Return to “Instruments”