Resisting Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ Warmonger wrote:
It's probably why there are crackles in that video above, because the software is likely cracked. Where else do you think that crackles come from?
:lol: - every time someone pretends that cracked software fails or behaves different than legit one. "Cracked" means "working without legit authorization", not cracked as with your teeth or whatever. What a poor undertsanding of software and computer sience... :dog
Your disbelieving it doesn't make it untrue :shrug:

Anyway, it's not that the crack was engineered to be different by Spectrasonics. Rather, that it was not a traditional crack. In omnisphere's case, to get around the copyright legalities, the crack team meticulously resampled the entire collection of soundsources using an Akai MPC60.

To this day, many producers who came up on the cracked version still choose to use the cracked sounds for their warmth (and crackle)
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
tehlord wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Is it worth $500? No.
Or yes, if you actually write music for a living and don't have time to piss about with programming and argue on forums all day.

Eric Persing probably knows what he's doing.
Not even worth qualifying it, really.

Wags is old enough to know that value is subjective, and personal. It may not be worth $500 to him, but it's worth more than that to me. And while there are clearly many people for whom Omni is priceless, I'd never go so far as to suggest that that is evidence of it containing some inherent, universally-accepted value.
Oh I completely understand that value is subjective. A Lexus isn't worth $40,000 to me because I'm perfectly content just driving a Honda for $20,000. I love Omni. It's one of my favorite synths. But no way in hell do I pay $500 for a soft synth when there are so many out there for under $100 that make perfectly good music. So I hocked stuff I wasn't using and justified paying nothing for, IMO, a pretty darn good piece of software.

So let me reiterate. There is no soft synth that could ever come out, no matter how amazing it is, that I'm spending $500 on unless I'm hocking hardware or whatever to pay for it with.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Anyway, it's not that the crack was engineered to be different by Spectrasonics. Rather, that it was not a traditional crack. In omnisphere's case, to get around the copyright legalities, the crack team meticulously resampled the entire collection of soundsources using an Akai MPC60.

To this day, many producers who came up on the cracked version still choose to use the cracked sounds for their warmth (and crackle)
:D :D :D :tu:
You guys are incredible...

DJ Warmonger wrote:
It's probably why there are crackles in that video above, because the software is likely cracked. Where else do you think that crackles come from?
:lol: - every time someone pretends that cracked software fails or behaves different than legit one. "Cracked" means "working without legit authorization", not cracked as with your teeth or whatever. What a poor undertsanding of software and computer sience... :dog:
Yes, well, computer seance isn't something that you want to mess around with. I had a friend who tried to communicate with deamons and it didn't end well.

This whole thing crackles me up.

ghettosynth wrote:Yes, well, computer seance isn't something that you want to mess around with. I had a friend who tried to communicate with deamons and it didn't end well.
Pesky critters, always spawning and respawning, luring you into the infinite loop.

I have Omni 1. It is certainly more than enough for my purposes, and I've had no problem resisting the €250 upgrade price. I have yet to use it in a serious project.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

ghettosynth wrote:You just don't get emotion like this with any other synthesizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9saiVnGQU
Okay, thanks, after that I can definitely resist buying this notourious Ommmmsphere... :tu:

martinjuenke wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:You just don't get emotion like this with any other synthesizer.

Okay, thanks, after that I can definitely resist buying this notourious Ommmmsphere... :tu:
Sounded pretty good to me. :shrug:

wagtunes wrote:
tehlord wrote:
Or yes, if you actually write music for a living and don't have time to piss about with programming and argue on forums all day.

Wags is old enough to know that value is subjective, and personal. It may not be worth $500 to him, but it's worth more than that to me. And while there are clearly many people for whom Omni is priceless, I'd never go so far as to suggest that that is evidence of it containing some inherent, universally-accepted value.
Oh I completely understand that value is subjective. A Lexus isn't worth $40,000 to me because I'm perfectly content just driving a Honda for $20,000. I love Omni. It's one of my favorite synths. But no way in hell do I pay $500 for a soft synth when there are so many out there for under $100 that make perfectly good music. So I hocked stuff I wasn't using and justified paying nothing for, IMO, a pretty darn good piece of software.

So let me reiterate. There is no soft synth that could ever come out, no matter how amazing it is, that I'm spending $500 on unless I'm hocking hardware or whatever to pay for it with.
You paid $20,000 for a Honda?

CircuitEYE wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
tehlord wrote:

You paid $20,000 for a Honda?
That's pretty much what a CRV goes for around these parts.

So I ended up buying Exhale. They offer a money back guarantee
so no risk in taking it out for a spin. Tried it for about an hour, then dropped it. It had some some cool sounds but couldn't justify shelling out the $200 for it. It's really not as flexible as I thought it would be.

Ended up buying Spire instead. I know random, but I've had the demo for a while and I like the effort they put in their presets, most of them are useful right off the bat. Started a pretty cool song with one of the stock patches with a few minor tweaks. I also recorded my own vocals into the song. It all came together very quickly, so I'm happy with the purchase.

Also started the rent-to-own deal for Serum on Splice. The Serum manual is well written, props to Duda for that. I'm actually looking forward to programming my own synth patches again. These 2 ought to keep me busy for a while.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers for all the input.
We're re-creating the universe in reverse.

stevemc wrote:So I ended up buying Exhale. They offer a money back guarantee
so no risk in taking it out for a spin. Tried it for about an hour, then dropped it. It had some some cool sounds but couldn't justify shelling out the $200 for it. It's really not as flexible as I thought it would be.

Ended up buying Spire instead. I know random, but I've had the demo for a while and I like the effort they put in their presets, most of them are useful right off the bat. Started a pretty cool song with one of the stock patches with a few minor tweaks. I also recorded my own vocals into the song. It all came together very quickly, so I'm happy with the purchase.

Also started the rent-to-own deal for Serum on Splice. The Serum manual is well written, props to Duda for that. I'm actually looking forward to programming my own synth patches again. These 2 ought to keep me busy for a while.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers for all the input.
Really, you dropped Exhale?? :o
But that's on my wish list!
Id be interested to know exactly what it is about it you didn't like. How wasn't it flexible? Does it come with enough sounds? Is the quality not that great?
I've seen others try to sell their Output stuff and I can't figure out why, every reviewer gives em 4 or 5 stars.

''Tis funny I keep going back to serum and spire. For samples there is always kontakt and libs like heaviocity.

martinjuenke wrote:

This should clear your palate.

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/omnidirt

The biggest issue with Omnisphere, versions one and two, are that it's large complement of new-age and cinematic presets give an impression that it's all unicorns and rainbows playing pan pipes and harps. The truth is, it's incredibly versatile and can do dirt and aggressive just as well as it can do rainbow unicorn poop. The above example was not meant as music, but just as a counter to someone who said, "Omnisphere can't do dirty." It can do whatever you want it to do, pretty much. Is it the best at any single type of thing? No, but it's power lies in it's large and easy to use and navigate feature list and interesting sample content. Nothing out there really comes close.

So just settle down and get it. Thank me later.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”