Waves copy protection?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thinking about buying the Abbey Road Vinyl VST, which is one sale, because of the phase distortion.

I always avoided Waves in the past because of the annoying copy protection they have. How is it today? Especially with reinstalling them when you reinstall your OS or when you change parts on your computer?

I find Waves Centre absolutely horrible, but, YMMV. I remember having several issues with it, i think i couldn't install it where i wanted it to be installed (IIRC, it installs itself to C:/ProgramFiles by default), and i couldn't change the location where it installed the Waves plugins either. Oh, and there was another thing that the Waves plugins use a common file, or something. I uninstalled everything after that experience.

It'd definitely my most disliked copy protection of everything I have on my machine. The weird way every plugin is encapsulated into a single Waveshell dll also makes like a pain whenever you add a plugin to their roster (on the DAWs I use it looks at changes to that single file to determine if anything is new, and as that file is just a link nothing appears to change so no plugins get added to the DAW plugin list until I rename that waveshell file, restart the DAW, rename it back, then start up the DAW again!)

That said the $29 plugins are just about worth the hassle given how good they are ..... just.

No problems here. I actually like it, because you can install, uninstall and/or move all your licenses with 1 or 2 clicks. If you wanna clean sweep your system you can move your licenses to their "cloud" with 2 clicks, to re-install and activate you need 2 more. It can´t be easier than that. You also don´t lose licenses through system crashes and the like.

c0nan wrote:You also don´t lose licenses through system crashes and the like.
Ooh that's interesting - Can you remove licenses from a system to the cloud if that particular machine is no longer active? On iLok you're only able to move the license to the cloud from an active hardware device, so that's definitely a better way of doing things if so...

I find it to be great to be honest. Once you figure out the way it 'works' - it's a breeze.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Waves Central works fine and that plugin is great. I store my licenses on a USB drive so when I switched to a new computer it was as easy as plugging in the USB drive, install waves central and reinstall your plugins.

mcbpete wrote:
c0nan wrote:You also don´t lose licenses through system crashes and the like.
Ooh that's interesting - Can you remove licenses from a system to the cloud if that particular machine is no longer active? On iLok you're only able to move the license to the cloud from an active hardware device, so that's definitely a better way of doing things if so...
You can recover licenses for "dead" systems (once a year per plugin).
https://www.waves.com/support/reactivat ... r-licenses

Just wanted to chime in and add my voice to those saying Waves install/authorization is a breeze. Absolutely no issues ever, and I moved my Waves plugs from one computer to a new one in January. No delays, no issues. :phones:
Chris H.

Thanks for all the information. Seems to be ok, I'm more afraid what happens to the license when your computer gets stolen or is damaged. This one year recovery is not very good, but I guess it's not a complete show stopper.

I love U-HE and Klanghelm so much for their easy copy protection!

One other question, I read a lot about that you have to pay for some kind of pgrade plan from time to time to be able to use it or reinstall it? Does someone know about this stuff? I really would like to buy only this one plugin and use in the next years without paying anything in addition.

Well, hopefully your computer/stick doesn´t crash or gets stolen more than once a year ;) But I agree, I don´t know in which regard this limitation makes sense. My "favourite" is XLN. They have a multi installer similar to waves central, but you register your computers online. If something happens you just de-register the broken/stolen one and register the new. Limitless, fast and free. I hope waves will move in this direction. They are cracked big time anyway so this hassle for paying customers is a little pointless.

Anyway, about this wup thing: You can use your plugins like forever without ever paying this. The only reasons you would have to "wup" is if a new major waves update is coming (v10) and you want to upgrade your plugins to v10, otherwise you´re free to keep using your v9 as long as you wish. But if you buy a new plugin 1 year wup is included, that should be enough ´til v10 arrives. Regular updates like bugfixes and stuff will continue even if your wup is expired. If you wanna resell a plugin it has to be wupped. And I guess they don´t offer support if wup is expired. You can re-wup anytime without additional costs or fees.

Thanks! How much das this wup cost for one plugin, I can get the info on the waves page? Is there a rough estimation? I would only see it when I have already bought it...

I hate it, since you ask.

If you want to use hardware dongle, it's a different one, normal USB, to the others available (iLok, Steinberg) so could well result in more than one chunk of plastic for your ports.

If you use software protection and you want to move to a second computer, you have to have remembered to offload the license from your first. Plus if your HD dies like mine did, Waves will rescue your license only once in a year, which is potentially tricky.

Plus WUP. Yuk.

I love my cheaply bought Waves stuff but won't be buying more.

As German car makers love to say YMMV.

Waves/Waves Central is a breeze, easy as, never had an issue, even the brain dead shouldn't have a problem.

There is little to no issue using on a second PC if you use a USB flash drive for your licenses.

WUP is nothing to worry about, it is not compulsory, if you want to WUP, then WUP, if you don't, then don't, everything will keep on working as per usual.
Say NO to CLAP!

midi_transmission wrote:annoying copy protection they have. How is it today?
Support developers like Hornet, Melda, Voxengo, Klanghelm instead.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”