Reason 10 incoming

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Reason is quite good in layering instruments(Combinators) and creating common modulation for them, but Cubase ...

S1 has (multi)instrument/fx container, Live, Bitwig has device rack, Reason has Combinator, Reaper has parallel routing in its mixer track, Cubase has nothing for layering/modulate layered instruments, have to use/route cableguys stuffs or xfer lfo (so should use some MIDI CC based modulation source) to the instruments one by one... PITA, MUX solve this

Protoculture https://www.sonicacademy.com/courses/pr ... otoculture uses layering heavily (otherwise superbly great tutorial series) and can be seen how clickathlon it is if it have to be done one by one, definitely can kill the creativity especially if u used Reason, Live,Bitwig before where it's easy as 1-2-3
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

This update looks great to new users who've been thinking about getting Reason. And users that have been holding off on updating until something more was introduced to accompany their aging instruments and effects.

As for people with GAS that own a lot of VSTs or REs or developers of REs, this probably doesn't look like a great update. The new wave table and granular instruments look pretty tempting for the rest of us. And it's about time they updated their sample library to 2017.

The work flow and bug fixes should be included in the upcoming incremental updates not only for full upgrades, but I'm sure they're working on those too already.

Propellerheads have finally returned to their old release structure and will probably net them more users and financial benefits. Which is a win, win for everyone. So be a little patient and enjoy the ride.

I was feeling a little nostalgic ans said tempted to jump back into Reason, not having used it since v4, if memory serves. But then I come here and find nothing but bitching and morning about how the new release sucks, how old bugs aren't being fixed, and how the GUI badly needs an overhaul. It doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about buying it again. I guess I'll try the demo anyway...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Anosou wrote:
Mystic wrote:I think you missed the point of my entire complaint completely. I'm not complaining about the instruments; in honesty, I don't really care about the new instruments. Reason is useless to me until you guys spend time either rebuilding ReWire from the ground up or you make a VST compatible version of Reason that I can use in my own sequencer. I have no interest in fiddling around in the Reason sequencer and I think a lighter weight VST that gives the user a version of Reason to use in their own DAW that removes the sequencer features and gives them access to the rack only would be a huge selling point because there would be no more need for ReWire in most cases if you have no plans on rebuilding it.
That's completely fair. The instrument comment wasn't directed at you. It sounds like you're pretty happy with your DAW! That's a nice position to be in. Interesting thought about Reason or Reason-things as VST regardless.
What Mystic suggests (Reason as stable, CPU-efficient "meta-instrument") is "the road not traveled" when Record was released. Development of groundbreaking internal Reason instrument/effects atrophied around that time.

A typical computer has maybe 16x the RAM, 10x the speed, far greater storage and graphics capabilities than when Reason first came out. How about a "v2" mode to add modern filters, HiDPI visuals, and oversampling? Dr. Rex filters in particular sound like cardboard.

I'm neither Reason fanboi nor hater. I've used it since v4, will get 10 when it's released. Reason is still one of the most inspiring computer programs of any I've ever used. I've finished more stuff in Reason so far than any other DAW...it lends itself to Getting Sh!t Done.

I haven't honestly given Reason a second thought after trying it many moons ago , the workflow and MIDI editing was the worst even to that of Ableton, so I never thought about it again.

So my question is , has that ever been improved upon ? I think I tried V3 , so shows how long ago I used it.

If that was actually something they did improve, Reason now becomes more appealing, especially with the new content. Maelstrom was a wicked synth tbh, never copied elsewhere as far as I know.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Does Reason 10 support WASAPI?
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

deastman wrote:I was feeling a little nostalgic ans said tempted to jump back into Reason, not having used it since v4, if memory serves. But then I come here and find nothing but bitching and morning about how the new release sucks, how old bugs aren't being fixed, and how the GUI badly needs an overhaul. It doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about buying it again. I guess I'll try the demo anyway...
And this surprises you? If memory serves anyone, Reason has never gotten a warm reception at KVR. Since it started to support VST, it's only been put under the microscope even more. I'd definitely give the demo a spin (wait until 10 drops officially), and see if it interests you. Version 4 is absolutely, 100%, nothing like what Reason is today - save for the fact that you can still access the rack. If you find the workflow or anything else not to your liking, then I'd stay where you're at.

I also use Studio One after using Reaper for years. Reason seems to be where I get 95% of my work done, though.

Most of the bitching and moaning is just from people who either want Reason to be something that's just like all of the other DAW, or cater to a specific issue that is particular to their needs. You'll see just as much moaning about updates from Logic, Cubase, etc...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

One thing I wish they would do is expand the key commands, I use the same basic KC for all DAWs. Reason is very limited like that.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

sfxsound3 wrote:
eXode wrote:But with the inclusion of Europa in particular
After Thor, we get Europa. Is a rainbow flag included in the boxed version? Politically correct is a term for a reason. Who's next? Mohammad? Oh wait, he's a bad guy, we don't play and/or record with bad guys.
What are you even talking about??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

kmmcdonald wrote:Does Reason 10 support WASAPI?
I don't know. But, what's the point in using WASAPI over your audio interface's ASIO driver?

i.e. if you use it on a tablet or something (like Surface).

Ok, but there's always ASIO4ALL? At least for me, it always worked fine with my WDM sound cards.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
eXode wrote:But with the inclusion of Europa in particular
After Thor, we get Europa. Is a rainbow flag included in the boxed version? Politically correct is a term for a reason. Who's next? Mohammad? Oh wait, he's a bad guy, we don't play and/or record with bad guys.
What are you even talking about??
I don't know.

chk071 wrote:Ok, but there's always ASIO4ALL? At least for me, it always worked fine with my WDM sound cards.
True, but from at least my experiences WASAPI in W10 was always better than A4A, in any situation.

Alright. Frankly, i don't have much experience with WASAPI, the only time i tried it was in Reaper, i think, and it's been a few years since that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”