Solved: Kontakt 5.7.0 install issues (kudos to EvilDragon for the remedies)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt

Actually, their new install platform is still using their earlier installers (but in "silent" mode so you don't get to choose any options...). But some settings in the installer got messed up with this particular update. NA bugfix update for this will come ASAP.

I found out that native acces installed the .dll files to c:/programfiles/native instruments/VSTPLugins 64bit or 32bit. I copied this files "back" to my vst folder, manually. Now everything works fine.
I don`t understand why native ionstruments let native acces install those .dll`s to their "own" folder. They should ask me everytime where my vst folder is.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

It seems I managed to fix my issues, if you wish just check the thread pointed earlier by Evildragon, my recipe is post #14

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1591241

Thanks,
Mario

sugo wrote:I found out that native acces installed the .dll files to c:/programfiles/native instruments/VSTPLugins 64bit or 32bit. I copied this files "back" to my vst folder, manually. Now everything works fine.
I don`t understand why native ionstruments let native acces install those .dll`s to their "own" folder. They should ask me everytime where my vst folder is.
You need to change your VST path in Native Access preferences, I bet it's the path you mentioned above, and not the VST path you're actually using. Never, EVER, move DLL files manually! They lead to problems like what happened with 5.7 release here.

Expect problems in next Kontakt update, then, because you moved the files manually, unless you fix the path in prefs.

@EvilDragon why don't you work for Native Instruments?

I have the same problem (with the vst files being deleted after installing 5.7.0). I had this way back when Native Access first came out but since then upgraded to latest Komplete and the problem went away but now it is back again. I reported this as a bug so slightly disappointing no fix has been available. I see from the link that I have to downgrade to 5.6 and then back to 5.7 what a PITA

And yes my paths in settings in Native Access are correct, it seems somehow the Kontakt installer is picking up information from an old installer and thinking I do not want 64 bit vsts

EvilDragon wrote:You need to change your VST path in Native Access preferences
Better if NI stated upfront with an alert in Native Access how important it is to set the preferred VST path before installing anything

I had the same problem when a couple of months back, first time using Native Access, installing Reaktor, made the dll disappear from my regular VST folder.

Uninstalled, set the installation path, and installed again fixed the problem.

But it would not be a problem in the first place, if NI had been more upfront about the importance of setting the VST path, instead of hiding it in a menu.

chili beans wrote:@EvilDragon why don't you work for Native Instruments?
That is a good question :)

First, they never offered me a position. Second, I like living in Croatia and wouldn't like/want to move to Berlin (or elsewhere) despite potential benefits (nevermind the fact that I'm expecting to become a father next month which will make any relocation that much less likely, plus we have tons of work on the house we became owners of this year).

I'm pretty happy just helping them as a beta tester. And helping other users on a bunch of forums whenever I can.
Numanoid wrote:But it would not be a problem in the first place, if NI had been more upfront about the importance of setting the VST path, instead of hiding it in a menu.
That's a wrong way of looking at it. It's a pretty normal behavior to FIRST double-check and set all the installation paths in a downloader app, before installing anything. This is supposed to be common knowledge. It's pretty obvious that it should be done - always go to Preferences first.

After all, most DAWs (if not all of them?) won't ask you what's your VST path the first time you open them. You would need to go to preferences to check that and set it. Yeah? :)

@EvilDragon, why don't you work for Propellerheads?

EvilDragon wrote:This is supposed to be common knowledge.
:lol:

No wonder I don't work for Native Instruments
EvilDragon wrote:That's a wrong way of looking at it.
According to my understanding of customer support wrong is a no-no word in relation to customer/user follow up.

I would rather rephrase it as, "that is something we can look at".
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I see, you're "that way" again. No more answers for you, then. :)

EvilDragon wrote:
chili beans wrote:@EvilDragon why don't you work for Native Instruments?
That is a good question :)

First, they never offered me a position. Second, I like living in Croatia and wouldn't like/want to move to Berlin (or elsewhere) despite potential benefits (nevermind the fact that I'm expecting to become a father next month which will make any relocation that much less likely, plus we have tons of work on the house we became owners of this year).

I'm pretty happy just helping them as a beta tester. And helping other users on a bunch of forums whenever I can.
Congratulations on becoming a father that's awesome! Well hopefully someone from NI reads this and offers you something. Your a big help with a lot of software related stuff.

EvilDragon wrote: You need to change your VST path in Native Access preferences, I bet it's the path you mentioned above, and not the VST path you're actually using. Never, EVER, move DLL files manually! They lead to problems like what happened with 5.7 release here.

Expect problems in next Kontakt update, then, because you moved the files manually, unless you fix the path in prefs.
I have the paths set at Program Files/Native Instruments, and move the DLLs manually to the main VST folders since a few years back, and never had any problem with that :shrug: (but I copy the DLLs, and don't delete the originals from where they have been installed)

What are the potential problems you refer?

BTW: Congratulations. All the best to you, your wife and the expected baby. :tu:
Last edited by fmr on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

You're copying, not flat-out moving, that's why you likely didn't have any issues... The problem happens when you move the DLL from somewhere where the installer might expect it, then depending on how installer was programmed, it is lead to believe that it's not supposed to install that bitness of VST at ALL, etc. Which is what happened with 5.7 update here.

Teksonik wrote: I'll wait to update my Kontakt. If it ain't broke...... :wink:
+1

Return to “Instruments”