AVENGER Granular vs. Alchemy/Mangle etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah, hype and flamewar ;), for real, some of you are far more experienced and have other vsts i dont own so i would love to read your opinions and tests. im playing with the granular of avenger a short bit of time and it seems to fulfill my wishes. ALCHEMY is/was? my go to granular machine but the non-existence of drag and drop and no support i kinda got in doubts.
is AVENGER missing options Alchemy has @granular capabilities?

what are you missing from Avenger @granular options/synthesis?

i guess mangle could be also obsolete when having Avenger.

this is no offense, just am curious and hyped!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. Seriously, make some f**king music instead of worrying about which stuff could replace other stuff. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I know that you have some of these plugins Caine, but for anyone reading this thread who doesn't have any of the 3 mentioned, GET AVENGER.

Mangle developer is utterly and irresponsibly unresponsive to customers (for past 18 months and counting), despite still filing company accounts this year.

Alchemy developers made a great product but sold out (admittedly for a great offer) to Apple, who have reinvented Alchemy, apparently quite well.

As for you Caine, are your copies of (old) Alchemy and Mangle still working?
By all means buy Avenger too, but you might find the new purchase unjustified if Alchemy in particular works okay.
On the flipside, at least you'll get a response from the Avenger developer.

I must confess that the granular implementation in Avenger does look quiet appealing.

The Mangle, whilst excellent and powerful does have some glaring flaws that'll never be addressed (by the look of it).

Caine, which granular synths do you have and use ?

If I remember your older posts and history, you already have:
-Alchemy
-Falcon
-Padshop Pro
-Omnisphere
-Dust
-Granite
-Mangle

How many grain synths do you 'need' to fulfill your needs? Adding another one won't help you more if you already can't make what you want with such an arsenal... But the wallet is yours at the end :hihi:
Last edited by Neon Breath on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Avenger granular implementation is suburb, but just the icing on the cake of an utterly compelling synth for any other reasons- there is a free demo so why not try it!

Halion 6 of course also has a granular (Skylab) together with a ton of other stuff - also a full free 30 day demo.

Falcon also has granular, but no demo - here's a taste. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeohDjxD3OY

I have all 3 by the way, I prefer Avengers granular implementation, its easy and fun and very visual.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Falcon has got to be the most love it or hate it UI of any synth I've ever tried.

And I hate it. I hate it so much. It's like programming a synth via Excel.

tehlord wrote:I must confess that the granular implementation in Avenger does look quiet appealing.

The Mangle, whilst excellent and powerful does have some glaring flaws that'll never be addressed (by the look of it).
I didn't really find Mangle to be either excellent or powerful. Perhaps you can elaborate as I spent a lot of time on this plugin trying to get anything usable out of it but failed.

tehlord wrote:Falcon has got to be the most love it or hate it UI of any synth I've ever tried.

And I hate it. I hate it so much. It's like programming a synth via Excel.
Talking about serious cellular synthesis here!

ok back at this!

my feelings so far about those:

-Alchemy
BEST granular one for me, but the drag and drop doesnt work and it's discontinued, so yeah it works, is a bit clunky now but still awesome!

-Falcon
have to learn this much more, so i cannot tell a lot about it, it didnt inspire me yet.

-Padshop Pro
f*ck steinberg! bad customer service, every time you load a user sample it gets copied on local c:\, lol, f**k this vst, i might sell this shit.

-Omnisphere
laughable granular part, even i love omnisphere, not for granular

-Dust
it is still buggy and totally different than a full granular synth, this is more for small loops

-Granite
awesome! i love this so much, not for long controlled drones but more for small stuff as well but with audio/visual showcase! this is so easy to use and with the record function you can create crazy stuff ASAP!
not for hypnotic and patternwise drones in my opinion

-Mangle
also great, but it misses some stuff in my opinion + no progression it seems. i dunno what it could do what avenger can not?

-Avenger
seems my go to atm, i still had no time and experience to compare it to the ALMIGHTY Avenger, i hope the engine holds up and it doesnt miss anything what Alchemy can do, so i can dump alchemy finally!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:ok back at this!

my feelings so far about those:

-Alchemy
BEST granular one for me, but the drag and drop doesnt work and it's discontinued, so yeah it works, is a bit clunky now but still awesome!
I bought Logic mainly for Alchemy and Sculpture (ended up being my most used DAW)

Alchemy has been significantly improved since the last Camel version and continues to be actively developed. It's worth getting Logic just for Alchemy! (for anyone on Mac which the OP isn't)

For some other fun and mostly less costly solutions, polygon from glitchmachines, mux from MuLab also have some nice granular implementations.

Just sayin.

*Pretty far from the rest though. Especially mux.

Reaktor must be cited.
Also, iPad offer some cleaver granular Apps.
This won't accomodade everybody's workflow but,
e.g. Studiomux will let you use those synths as plug-in within your daw.

If you have Logic, you already have Alchemy, so that would be a no brainer. Otherwise, I find Avenger's granular implementation to be superb- easy to control, versatile, great visual cues, and well integrated with the rest of the modulation facilities. If I was to pick only one granular synth, it would be Avenger, hands down.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

That is the best post I have read in
a while...
whyterabbyt wrote:The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. Seriously, make some f**king music instead of worrying about which stuff could replace other stuff. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better. The new shiny is always better.

Return to “Instruments”