Resisting Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

benjamind wrote:Well, if you're into making ambient music, Omnisphere 2 is a Godsend. It has a huge palette of incredible sounds, pads, hits, arps, and keys. One could only have just Omnisphere, Trillian and RMX and be able to write just about any ambient music they desired.

That's a big selling point. At least for me it is. 8)
For less than the price of buying those 3, one could purchase Logic and Komplete, which would give you far more functionality... A world class DAW, a whole bunch of fantastic FX (especially useful for processing ambient recordings), physical modeling, the ability to make your own multi-sampled instruments, Reaktor Blocks which is like a software eurorack modular, all the vast number of other cool stuff in Reaktor and the industry standard sampler in Kontakt. You also get additive synthesis, spectral synthesis, a more complete granular synth, a full on FM synth and so on.

Likewise, it is easy to put together multiple other sets of plugins that would not cost more than those 3 and with which one could also make ambient music for the next 20 years and never run into any meaningful limitation.

This assumes you have an Apple computer running OSX.

Logic doesn't run under Windows.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

benjamind wrote:This assumes you have an Apple computer running OSX.

Logic doesn't run under Windows.
That was just one example... it is easy to compile others for the same basic point...

Mmhhh....nothing could really replace Omnisphere 2 and especially in combination with Keyscape for me. But we should avoid to try to fit other people in our personal workflows.
Use whatever makes you happy and creative.
The world sucks enough but KVR is not a friendly place at all sadly too. Get a life folks...i should do the same. :D

ghettosynth wrote:
On the other hand, if you are not inspired by gigantic, again IMNSHO, overhyped, sounds but are more interested in other, more subtle, characteristics, and, you think that there is more to what makes a synthesizer than the bolded text above, then you might not gain much from omnisphere.

Personally, I think that there is a very dated 90s rompler quality to the library. Listening to the presets and videos remind me of watching some cheezy Roland demo from the 90s where some guy with a berklee background, a true love for fusion, and a ponytail, is trying to convince the audience that if you want to produce all the latest styles, roland has got you covered, cue alesis SR-16 techno beat.
I set my timer for three minutes to indulge and find the source of ghettosynth's strange anti-Omni obsession and I found it. He didn't like the presets he tried at the music store in a 20 min time frame and he listened to some cheesy youtube demos.

Omni has a preset "layer" comprised of presets for people who like those type of presets. I professionally practice (shiatsu, meditation, TCM/TAM herbs) in an integrative medicine environment that has a "spa station" piped in to every treatment room. So...you have ZERO room to talk to me about cheesy Omni presets. I literally have to spend my working hours listening to them. Do you know how I know they are presets even though I almost never use presets at all? Because they are literally the first 5 presets. Oftentimes they are tweaked to be even worse. Additionally, while we have "cut the cord" at my house many years ago, we do stream "award-winning premium cable" television shows. That means, you guessed it, more Omni presets, and not new presets, but the same exact five -- except those are layered with the same Stylus RMX presets that are in every other show.

Below that is the Soundsource layer which is a completely different beast. First off, it can easily take a year to become fluid with all of the soundsources. Second, most of the soundsources are "half-baked" and extremely malleable. Thinking about "does Omni have feature A or feature B?" is not really how it is structured. The soundsources are the sonic building blocks. Those building blocks, all 60GB of them, are not exactly standard ROMpler fodder -- far, far, far from it. They are the marrow from which the blood-magic flows. The soundsources are not overhyped NAMM-stoppers. Most Omni "haters" don't grasp how it works and get into "feature wars." I think I might do a youtube series on this.

That being said you can still FM a wavetable or soundsource with another wavetable, waveshape that, modulate your LFOs with LFOs, create intelligent shifting MSEGs, then run it through a bank of convolution reverbs, etc...

gremlinmoon wrote:from: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=352352
ghettosynth wrote:
On the other hand, if you are not inspired by gigantic, again IMNSHO, overhyped, sounds but are more interested in other, more subtle, characteristics, and, you think that there is more to what makes a synthesizer than the bolded text above, then you might not gain much from omnisphere.

Personally, I think that there is a very dated 90s rompler quality to the library. Listening to the presets and videos remind me of watching some cheezy Roland demo from the 90s where some guy with a berklee background, a true love for fusion, and a ponytail, is trying to convince the audience that if you want to produce all the latest styles, roland has got you covered, cue alesis SR-16 techno beat.
I set my timer for three minutes to indulge and find the source of ghettosynth's strange anti-Omni obsession and I found it. He didn't like the presets he tried at the music store in a 20 min time frame and he listened to some cheesy youtube demos.
You don't seem to understand what I wrote above, let alone capture the essence of why Omnisphere doesn't impress me. Moreover, where did you get 20 minutes from? Mind you, not that it takes much more that to evaluate a simple synth for me.

That is an excellent thread to capture my perception of Omnisphere BTW. Not much has changed since 2012. You forgot to quote this part
ghettosynth wrote: My takeaway from multiple demos and a reasonably serious evaluation, it's a fairly simple synth with a usable, but not groundbreaking VA implementation, with a fairly easy to use modulation system that appeals more to non-technical users. It comes with a substantial and celebrity influenced sound library that carries a lot of old school Roland baggage with it. To my ears it's anything but fresh and it's damned expensive. By that, I mean, that it's damned expensive for how uninteresting it is.

At the end of the day, it's about whether you think it's worth $500 for Eric Pershing's sound design skills. I'm pretty sure that Eric could get most, if not all, of the sounds in Omnisphere out of kontakt. If you can't, and you want that sound, then get Omnisphere.
Now, whether the current crop of sounds are predominately Eric's or the rest of HIS sound design team is of no moment, they are, after all, HIS sound design team.

Why don't you post some youtube demos that you think are excellent?

Some here remind me to the 2 grandpa from the Muppet show. :D
Like it....use it. Don't like it....don't use it.
Your trying to teach your "religion" to others.
Good luck. That never works....in both directions.

Cinebient wrote:Some here remind me to the 2 grandpa from the Muppet show. :D
No, the OP asked a question which I answered based on my knowledge and experience. Now, people come along, like you, and counter that with what you think is information, just like you're doing now. Most often, like now, you get it wrong, and so the conversation just keeps on going.

You may disagree with my opinion all that you like, however, you aren't entitled to your own facts. I understand the architecture of omni sufficiently to draw the conclusions that I have drawn. It it is NOT in the same league as Uhe synths in terms of being a synthesizer, it's NOT in the same league as Kontact in terms of being a sampler. It's price is way out of line with respect to the features of the instrument proper.

Gary Numan wrote:Omnisphere 2 came out and, honest to God, you could buy that and not need anything else. It’s a career in a box - it’s that good.

I agree with one thing ghetto said. It's not a $500 synth. Feature for feature against other top end synths, I honestly don't know what Eric is thinking. And like I said, I only bought it because I essentially got it for free. But if I had to actually take $500 out of my bank or Paypal or whatever to buy this synth, no way would that have ever happened.

Yeah, if anything should talk you out of Omnisphere it's the price and the value of what you could get if you spent that money elsewhere. I know if I had that kind of money to spare there's probably dozens of other things I'd get first before I started considering Omnisphere.

:ud:
Last edited by BBFG# on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Some here remind me to the 2 grandpa from the Muppet show. :D
No, the OP asked a question which I answered based on my knowledge and experience. Now, people come along, like you, and counter that with what you think is information, just like you're doing now. Most often, like now, you get it wrong, and so the conversation just keeps on going.

You may disagree with my opinion all that you like, however, you aren't entitled to your own facts. I understand the architecture of omni sufficiently to draw the conclusions that I have drawn. It it is NOT in the same league as Uhe synths in terms of being a synthesizer, it's NOT in the same league as Kontact in terms of being a sampler. It's price is way out of line with respect to the features of the instrument proper.
You seems not to understand that i agree here even. Omnisphere synthesis is not the best. 10 dollar iOS apps like Zeeon are better (as good as U-he synths indeed....so are all synths now overpriced...not really or?).
But what you think is not worth is not a fact too for all people. Many people like Omnisphere for their very own reason.
Value is a personal thing and again it's very easy.
Don't buy, don't use. It's O.K.
All the best to you! Life is to short to just complain about everything :wink:
Don't take everything so serious.

Return to “Instruments”