Help with setup!!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

So I've been mucking around with producing in ableton for the past few years.
Im getting a bit bored of just sitting at my laptop and clicking, maybe using a midi keyboard here and there.
The biggest thing I don't like anymore is always creating something then stopping, going back to the start and just getting stuck in loops all the time.

I ultimately would like to have a hardware setup where I can just go and starting jamming and only using ableton for recording and post editing and arranging.
However I don't have the budget for that at the moment, so in the mean time I want to be able to do that with ableton and vsts. I want a pretty simple vst setup, 2-3 synths, a few effects. I have the budget for tr 8 and some midi controllers to be able to do what I want.
So my question is, does anybody do this now? Have some tips? Best midi controllers to buy? What is the best way to setup a template so that I can just open ableton and everything is ready to go?
I also want to be able to control the parameters of the vst synths as well. is this possible? they will most likely be third party ones.
Any good youtube vids out there on this topic?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Oh and another thing is that Ill be sampling a lot from records

For you Ableton Push would be a good midi controller to start with, you could look for a Push 1 second hand and see if you like it. And if you do and you would also like to edit samples get a Push 2 after selling the first one without loss.

Push provides a HW like experience for production , specially for composing that is one of the parts more tiresome to do with only a mouse and computer keyboard,
dedication to flying

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah I was thinking a push 1 for triggering and playing. I also like the idea of having a mixer so that I can control volume and effects. obviously not going to buy a mixer so suggestions on a midi controller for that? Was thinking the apc40?

br490 wrote:Thanks for your reply!
Yeah I was thinking a push 1 for triggering and playing. I also like the idea of having a mixer so that I can control volume and effects. obviously not going to buy a mixer so suggestions on a midi controller for that? Was thinking the apc40?

Nope, something more simple, maybe a Novation Launcontrol XL, but personally I would save and get a synthesizer to have some HW to play with, something cheap like Korg Monologue or Roland SE02.
dedication to flying

Its perfectly possible to use Push2 as your mixer. Check the Mix and Refine video here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

Another good option is Novations ReMote SL ... I use both with Ableton, and couldn't be happier. Nice, easy setup and everything just works. When you do get some hardware, Live's External Instrument plugin makes audio & midi integration slick and simple. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”