A poll for Virus owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Do you need a softsynth emulating Virus?

- I have Virus and I'm fine with using it as a hardware synth, therefore I'm not interested in emulations
27%
- I have Virus and woud love to have a VSTi/AU emulation
23%
- I had Virus in the past and woud love to have a VSTi/AU emulation
35%
- I have Virus or had it in the past, not interested in emulations because there are more interesting software and hardware synths
15%

Total votes: 86

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Result !

(Actually scrap the Servisol switch cleaner thing unless you have done it before, you need to be a bit careful and follow some sensible precautions)

Set it up today and have been testing it but still getting some sync issues, mainly when using the Ti in D or LIVE mode though. I'm wondering what else I need to do to reduce it, I have a RME Fireface interface so am I better off using the RME drivers with the Virus in Control more or its own? (and there are 'bitperfect drivers' now - not sure what they do). Also should I set the RME to be hardware clock, would that reduce sync issues? (RME has good jitter protection)

Now I have my Mac right next to the Ti and my other synths I can also get one of these cables for my Fireface and see if it improves performance.

An article about the possible future (???) of Virus

Interesting article. I find that the modern control afforded by VSTi is very sweet, totally accurate control and easy, drop down Cubase track automation, all easy and logically arranged in your track list, fantastic. When you are running a heavy session of 50+ tracks navigation becomes hard work and slows the final process of a track. (especially when you are running an old skool 17inch monitor and mouse/keyboard like myself)

The possible drawback of the Virus for 2017 is cumbersome track layouts for MIDI, audio and automation (at least in Cubase). i.e. I made apart recently and when I copy it, the automation does not follow the MIDI part so you have a lot of fiddling to do to move it along, range select copy and paste etc. Becomes a drag workflow wise. There may be some way round this but I am not sure of it myself. So you have the main Virus Instrument channels x 4, 4 x MIDI + probably a minimum of 4 x automation (maybe 8 or more) under drop downs and it all becomes a lot to take care of and keep up with and under control, and I only have a 4 part Snow.

This alone would put me off the 16 part TI2 full desktop version. The Snow gives you the sound you want with about as much headmess as I am able to deal with without killing inspiration.

I love the idea of the full TI2, not so much the cost, so it remains a dream for now. All in all quite happy with the Snow a balance betwen the sounds vs the hassles. And if a track is going well, by the time you know it is something worth completing...that it is worth bouncing some parts to audio, saving the presets and dumping the labelled MIDI part ona spare track down the bottom of your session and taking time to get more Virus in the track if the track is asking for it.

I wonder if they stopped producing the Snow because it was eating into profits as it sold like hot cakes leaving a lot of TI2 16 part stock in the Access warehouse ? Stopping production of Snow pushed up the second hand Snow prices and probaly helped them shift TI2 16 part stock. Just a theory in mind.

Personally I thnk the Snow is spot on balance between getting that sound and the integration work (system set up and actual use in DAW timeline) needed to get it rocking along in your tunes.

I can think of no reason other than the Snow sold too well for them to have stopped making it.

The bottom line for myself at least is once I heard what it can do there is no going backwards away from it. I absolutely love the sound of the Virus, I came out of a session music making the other day and the sound for what I am doing is so good I was beaming ear to ear after programming a sound from it.

Found an old track on soundcloud which was completly made with the TI( except drums)
https://soundcloud.com/trance-contest-i ... me-to-time

Spire is the closest you get.
I have a Access Virus C and Spire sounds almost the same.
The sound is lower in Spire compared to the in your face sound from my Virus but that can be fixed by adding more volume in spire.

The sound is so close that a A+B test would make it impossible to guess which is virus or spire.

D-Fusion wrote:Spire is the closest you get.
The sound is lower in Spire compared to the in your face sound from my Virus but that can be fixed by adding more volume in spire.

The sound is so close that a A+B test would make it impossible to guess which is virus or spire.
My obligatory links to some comparison videos at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM02l1_USjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKxugy3uHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3qf0I1AjE

Indeed Spire may sound similar but not the same and far from almost the same. Ive tried recreating few patches and very simple patches just using pitch to lfo mudulation and the sound is just different. But saying that from all the tryouts to recreate it Spire got the job done closest.

chk071 wrote:

My obligatory links to some comparison videos at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM02l1_USjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKxugy3uHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3qf0I1AjE
Those are just shallow comparisons. Only primary elements sound similar throw in some modulation and you can then really see that there are differences.

Elektronisch wrote:

Indeed Spire may sound similar but not the same and far from almost the same. Ive tried recreating few patches and very simple patches just using pitch to lfo mudulation and the sound is just different. But saying that from all the tryouts to recreate it Spire got the job done closest.
True :)
I just love the sound of both and you are right. Some patches sounds very close which is what i meant to write but i got too excited while typing :)

But i won't sell my Virus-C yet since i have only had it for 4 weeks now and it does sound great and in your face for those Early year 1998-2000+ sounds that i remember from records which is what i bought it for.
Then i discovered Spire which i bought because it gave me that Virus feeling when i tried it.
Last edited by D-Fusion on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D-Fusion wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:

I just love the sound of both and you are right. Some patches are very very close and in a mix it won't matter.
I didnt said that :)

Virus C is for me one of the most beautiful devices ever made. :love:

Elektronisch wrote:
D-Fusion wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:

I just love the sound of both and you are right. Some patches are very very close and in a mix it won't matter.
I didnt said that :)
I did say that but i changed my post to be more correct ;)

chk071 wrote:Virus C is for me one of the most beautiful devices ever made. :love:

:love:

chk071 wrote:Virus C is for me one of the most beautiful devices ever made. :love:

I second this. Its just so...perfect :love:

Return to “Instruments”