Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
ghettosynth
KVRAF

10179 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

To add to this, Cubase can't do feedback via sends, which is annoying. Reaper can do it and, as I understand it, Cubase used to be able to, but they disallow it now.

I'm still looking for a good meta-host, I tell you what!
nonnaci
KVRist

217 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Postby nonnaci; Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

There's a shimmer mode in Muze and the modulators in Aeko can be morphed into a pitch-shifter and then cross-mixed into a reverb. Had some fun writing these these algorithms :)
Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

2038 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Postby Ah_Dziz; Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:25 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

You can do all types of variations on this with MTurboverb if you're willing to get into the programming bit. If you really just want the shimmer effect and then the ability to have it not get out of hand just use two shimmers in series with no shift in the second and automate the first one. I'm assuming you already have shimmer.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.
Suntower
KVRist

79 posts since 15 Jan, 2003

Postby Suntower; Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

Ah_Dziz wrote:You can do all types of variations on this with MTurboverb if you're willing to get into the programming bit. If you really just want the shimmer effect and then the ability to have it not get out of hand just use two shimmers in series with no shift in the second and automate the first one. I'm assuming you already have shimmer.

That's actually an excellent suggestion. Duhhhhhh. Thanks. :D
transmetropolitan
KVRist

230 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Postby transmetropolitan; Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

Suntower wrote:
I guess the thing about 'Shimmer' really is the convenience factor. The only thing I dislike about the pitch shift is that I wish there was a way to make the pitch shift decay separately from the rest of the reverb tail. I know that doesn't make sense but the chipmunk effect becomes noticeable as the reverb decays and I want to hide that... ie. somehow 'duck' the pitch shift a bit.

Probably impossible.

Route the signal to two busses, with just reverb on one and pitch shifted verb on two.

Copy the original audio onto a new track, which should be set to no output. You're going to use this track (let's call it SC audio) to control your ducking. You can eq it or filter it heavily if you want to accentuate a certain frequency in triggering the ducking.

Next set up a sidechain compressor (or gate) on bus two. Now you just need to nudge the SC audio track and tweak the compressor or gate settings until you're getting the behaviour you want.
Krakatau
KVRAF

5364 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 pm Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

MogwaiBoy wrote:Reverbical :tu:

+1

exactly !

...the only one i know offering that peculiar pitch transposition stage involved into shimmering effets of such dedicated reverb units !
SHall1000
KVRist

99 posts since 13 May, 2015

Postby SHall1000; Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

Audiority Xenoverb is on sale at the moment and has a shimmer algorithm. It is also very flexible with 9 others yet is very easy to use. I think it sounds very good and will be very quick for clicking through various algorithms when you're not sure what you want.
strovoknights
KVRist

175 posts since 22 Aug, 2014

Postby strovoknights; Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

+1
Audiority Polaris1.5
Audiority Xenoverb

and I'm waiting for Toraverb2
chk071
KVRAF

13865 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:29 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:If the reverb pitch shifting is the dealbreaker, why don't you put a pitch shifter behind the Blackhole.

It needs to be in the feedback path

Why is it so important that it's in the feedback path, if you can get the same effect my modulating the reverb tail, as is done in Blackhole (i think)?
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
ilmai
KVRist

188 posts since 25 Aug, 2016, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby ilmai; Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

chk071 wrote:Why is it so important that it's in the feedback path, if you can get the same effect my modulating the reverb tail, as is done in Blackhole (i think)?

I did some quick'n'dirty experiments with Bitwig's Reverb, where you can easily place effects either on the wet signal path or as "Tank FX", which I think means they are on the feedback path. Placing a pitch shifter on either one results in an interesting effect, but only the one on the feedback path sounds shimmery to me. I think it's mainly because in the feedback path, the pitch shifter is also shifting the already pitch shifted signal so the tail is very different.

Here's one test, the signal path is Diva -> Replika -> Reverb.

This one is with the Pitch Shifter (+12st) on the wet signal path:

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/pitch-shif ... st/s-NDxQv

This one is with the Pitch Shifter (+12st) on the feedback path:

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/pitch-shif ... st/s-NDxQv
nonnaci
KVRist

217 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Postby nonnaci; Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

chk071 wrote:Why is it so important that it's in the feedback path, if you can get the same effect my modulating the reverb tail, as is done in Blackhole (i think)?

Placing say a 1-octave shifter in a feedback delay-line with appropriate dry/mix ratio will ultimately produce a blend of all higher-octaves of the original signal. The delay in the feedback component gives it the shimmering quality as if the signal is climbing up a ladder with octave rungs.
Last edited by nonnaci on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
chk071
KVRAF

13865 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:06 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

Alright. Gotta try that out, if Studio One allows that kind of routing.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
Robert Randolph
KVRAF

1842 posts since 25 May, 2003, from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Postby Robert Randolph; Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:26 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

https://www.realtimeonly.com

Reverbical does a fantastic shimmer sound, and a number of other great reverb styles.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio/DAW stuff, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts twice a week or more.
scook
KVRist

263 posts since 13 Feb, 2007

Postby scook; Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:32 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

In addition to MTurboverb, MXXX can create feedback loops in the plug-in.
Soundplex
KVRist

147 posts since 22 Sep, 2015

Postby Soundplex; Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:51 am Re: Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

scook wrote:In addition to MTurboverb, MXXX can create feedback loops in the plug-in.

Then he could tend to use System1 from HOFA too. I think you're good to go with Toneboosters, Blackhole or Reverbical.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects