Final Cut Pro X

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.
I'm considering purchasing (a licence for) Final Cut Pro X, but have some questions regarding it's Audio Unit Hosting capabilities; there's no demo to test it myself.

1) can it send clock sync to plugins with syncable lfo's, step sequencers, etc...?

2) does Reaktor 6 load in it? Adobe Premier will only load Reaktor 5.

3) does it play well with Bidule, Valhalla, Cableguys, Sinevibes, Reverberate, and Soundhack plugins?

4) can it handle virtual midi routing in plugins like Bidule?

Some pretty specific questions I know, but any info would be appreciated.

I have to try the clock synced plugins to see how they work later...

Do you really want to work with audio plugins in FCPX/Premiere? I haven't tried in Premiere, but in FCPX it becomes incredibly slow to make changes to anything in the timeline that I simply just don't ever bother with it.

I find it easier to export from FCPx or Premier to an audio host to then work on just audio (with a referenced video window) and then bring that back to the video editing program for a final export. Most DAWs are obviously far more suited to working with audio that I find it faster for many reasons.

I don't have sinevibes, bidule or Soundhack loaded on my system but I'll check my list of plugins that work vs ones that didn't. FCPX is finicky when it comes to audio plugins as I have instruments that show up fine in the list and there are some reverb plugins that won't show up.

Hi elxsound; thanks for your reply!

Yah; I hear you; I understand the benefit of working on audio separately in a DAW that has video playback, but I'd like to have the flexibility to quickly go back and forth between audio and video edits. For example, I'd like to be able to make an adjustment to an audio effect and then quickly edit the video to suit it.

Ideally I'd like to find/develop a more unified and fluid approach to both audio and video editing that doesn't require me having to export back and forth between two pieces of software. I'd like a smoother workflow than that.

I know I'd still be limited, but if I could get a flexible enough plugin (Reaktor, Bidule) working in a synced fashion I think I could get a lot of what I'd like to do accomplished.

Also, I appreciate your offer to check which of your plugins work; thanks!

Various of my plugins don't work or crash FCP-X... plus as elxsound said, it is slow and cumbersome.

Better to just use your DAW and accept the work of moving back and forth. It will be less time and hassle that way.

I use FCP fairly frequently. I find audio editing in it far too coarse and inconvenient to be of any use. I tried it once on a machine with it but no Cubase on it once, and it was horrible.
I've noticed it wouldn't pass NI Replika but that can be a 32-bit plugin so I suppose that's why.

I go back-and-forth with it and Cubase a lot, because of little timing changes but audio editing in Cubase. .

Alright, well, first: thank you all for your replies!

Have the clear impression I'd be unwise to gamble on Final Cut Pro allowing me to do what I want.

Guess I'll stick with Premiere. Perhaps I can find a way to make it work for me.

Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to resign myself to going back and forth between it and my DAW, like the rest of the world.

Nevertheless, it seems to me there's an opportunity for an company to offer an app that offers robust editing and sequencing options for both audio and video. It would be nice to not have to treat the two mediums so separately.

I suspect it could encourage/promote a different kind of creativity in some folks.

I know it would be no small task, but a piano roll in a video editor would rock. Especially since video (i.e. YouTube) has become somewhat of a major platform for getting music out to the masses.

I suspect I'm not the only one who would appreciate this breadth of functionality in a single app. Or maybe I am?

I have explored using midi controllable (and modular) video apps like Coge, and vvvv, which almost got me there. Maybe time to revisit them.

Guess I'd like a more non-linear approach.

I don't know anything really about a non-linear approach or some of the things you mention.
but "quickly go back and forth between audio and video edits", it isn't happening for me. Somehow dealing with the timeline for the bit of audio displayed in timeline editing felt crude to me. Compared with Cubase which is so sophisticated, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QskPCj-Yj4s

there's an expert in it, so don't mind me

Actually while I was pretty inarticulate above, I can say exactly why I don't like it.
It's, along with the video, always in terms of clips. And if you try to cut <a clip> at a sub-frame resolution, the cut will actually be at the next frame. In order to edit at a sub-frame level, you have to go into 'keyframes'; and so the workflow involves multiple steps to do something that does not require any such thing say in Cubase.

http://www.rippletraining.com/ripple-pl ... 7096&lid=1
more tutes I see, the more it looks fairly apt for editing dialogue. I make videos just to enhance a music track, so that should be noted.

the export will absolutely hard-clip above 0dB, nb. as to plugins for audio, I like a mixer, you know.

@dformd Sorry I haven’t had a chance to test those specific plugins, but it seems you’ve got the idea that FCPX is not a friendly place to work directly with audio. For basic things, sure, but ultimately its just not worth it.

I know you have an idea of what you’d like to do, but I’ll just add one thing that I hope you consider... and that’s that the workflows developed already are actually fast if you decide to work the more traditional way. I say that obviously being completely ignorant of what your project is, but if the end result is video with audio attached, please consider that much ground has been covered in terms of workflow after much trial and error.

Another software program to consider, depending of course on the requirements of your video edits, would be Reaper. I understand (but have not tried) that the current version added basic video editing capabilities. If you are primarily an audio guy working with video, then this might be exactly what works best for you.

I know that there is software to bridge Reaper and FCPX/Premiere using XML called Vordio and I have used this so I can say it works great with audio, but again I have no idea if it also works with video but it might be worth asking the community if you can work in Reaper with basic edits and then finalize in FCPX or Premiere.

jancivil:
Thanks for your reply! I watched the video you shared, and see where you're coming from; audio editing does indeed seem a tad convoluted and wanting. The video helped me see that; cheers!

elxsound:
Thanks for your reply too!
I appreciate your suggestion that I consider the "tried and true" workflows currently widely adopted. I do occasionally fall in to the trap of "re-inventing the wheel"; so to speak. I didn't know about Reaper having video editing capabilities; that may indeed be an ideal solution; will look into that; cheers!

dformd wrote:there's no demo to test it myself.
https://www.apple.com/lae/final-cut-pro/trial/ :?:
Confucamus.

Rockatansky wrote:
dformd wrote:there's no demo to test it myself.
https://www.apple.com/lae/final-cut-pro/trial/ :?:
"Jumping Jesus on a pogo-stick!" Thanks Rockatansky! Some how I flaked out on that; cheers!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”