Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

xalama qo wrote:That's great to hear Andy! Looking forward to seeing what stomps you release, and wah pedals (with auto-wah env follower too please) will be fun when they arrive :tu:
As far as I am aware the the circuits in most large wahs vs auto wahs are very different, so won't be included in a single plugin. This is the first time I've been asked about an auto wah model, I remember using such pedals ages ago and don't recall them sounding very good! If you want a way more configurable and powerful sound I suggest grabbing The Drop as then you'll be able to do any sort of auto wah sound you want with the dual envelope followers, and then use classic synth filters :tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
xalama qo wrote:That's great to hear Andy! Looking forward to seeing what stomps you release, and wah pedals (with auto-wah env follower too please) will be fun when they arrive :tu:
As far as I am aware the the circuits in most large wahs vs auto wahs are very different, so won't be included in a single plugin. This is the first time I've been asked about an auto wah model, I remember using such pedals ages ago and don't recall them sounding very good! If you want a way more configurable and powerful sound I suggest grabbing The Drop as then you'll be able to do any sort of auto wah sound you want with the dual envelope followers, and then use classic synth filters :tu:
Agreed! Never used a good auto-wah. I'm no expert, but I've owned a few various wah's (two different Voxes and two different Crybabies - nothing boutique) over the years and my favorite is the Vox 847. My only beef with it was the horrible, horrible tone and volume suck. Just didn't work in my pedalboard. Otherwise, the overall sound of the wah was exactly what I like in wah's without being at all harsh. I recently replaced it with an Analogman modified 846-HW, and while I appreciate the true bypass and boss-style adapter, it's a little too bright in the treble settings. I wouldn't go back to the stock 847, but I think I just wanted an 847 with a true bypass and the 846-HW isn't quite that.

All that said, so much of a wah is about how each player uses the expression pedal. I'm not sure a plugin version (without an expression pedal attached to it) will yield the same results as the real deal just from a playability perspective. I can't explain how I use my foot to rock the wah-pedal, but it's entirely subconscious and based on feel.

From my perspective, I'm honestly way more psyched about The Glue v2 and any other compressors Andy could model over more stomp boxes or wahs. It's not that I have beef against stomp boxes, but I just kinda feel like Andy and Urs Heckman do component modeling better than anyone else and I'd rather see Andy focus his efforts on higher end (read: more expensive) pieces of gear than stompboxes. I mean, $99-299 is the price range for good stomp boxes, which isn't all that much more than plugins. Meanwhile, a Universal Audio LA-2A is $3,500 and I still don't think anyone has nailed that particular unit yet. I think Andy has the best shot at putting out the best version to date. If a Cytomic LA-2A sold for $99 that's still 35 times cheaper than the hardware, whereas a $40 wah pedal plugin is still only like 3-8x cheaper than real wahs (heck, you can get a hardware wah on Craigslist for $40 if you're patient). it's a very selfish way to express interest in future potential Cytomic models, but I hope it's at least understandable.

Just my two cents. The ones no one asked for.

andy-cytomic wrote: If you want a way more configurable and powerful sound I suggest grabbing The Drop as then you'll be able to do any sort of auto wah sound you want with the dual envelope followers, and then use classic synth filters :tu:
A video on that would be useful...
:tu:

dredd i knight wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote: If you want a way more configurable and powerful sound I suggest grabbing The Drop as then you'll be able to do any sort of auto wah sound you want with the dual envelope followers, and then use classic synth filters :tu:
A video on that would be useful...
:tu:
Sure thing! You can get started immediately by loading the auto wah preset if you want :)

I use a Sonuus Wahoo for wah, its kind of like a hardware Drop and completely configurable !!

http://www.sonuus.com/products_wahoo.html
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Hi Andy, a bit late in seeing your response...I also have never heard a good sounding auto-wah!
I was just hoping you could add an envelope follower to the standard wah emulations so we can have ITB auto-wah with classic wah filters. I appreciate env followers are available in The Drop, but it seems like a no-brainer addition to a wah pedal emulation too for guitarists who might not need the whole Drop package. :tu:

Aly James has done a good one, just waiting for him to 64bit-erize it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XopIAe0XFs4

xalama qo wrote:Hi Andy, a bit late in seeing your response...I also have never heard a good sounding auto-wah!
I was just hoping you could add an envelope follower to the standard wah emulations so we can have ITB auto-wah with classic wah filters. I appreciate env followers are available in The Drop, but it seems like a no-brainer addition to a wah pedal emulation too for guitarists who might not need the whole Drop package. :tu:
Yep, good idea to use the followers from The Drop if if do a wah plugin :)

:tu: sounds like a winner! :D

The link to The Drop in the first post in this thread is a 404, can you update it to the actual product page?

dangayle wrote:The link to The Drop in the first post in this thread is a 404, can you update it to the actual product page?
yep, updated now!

A little off-topic, but for how long will the coupon work? I can't decide if I want to use it on The Scream, or if I should wait for a future plug-in.

omiroad wrote:A little off-topic, but for how long will the coupon work? I can't decide if I want to use it on The Scream, or if I should wait for a future plug-in.
What coupon?

omiroad wrote:A little off-topic, but for how long will the coupon work? I can't decide if I want to use it on The Scream, or if I should wait for a future plug-in.
For customers that have already spent USD 99 at the Cytomic store (and still own that software) you will get a 30% off one product coupon every 6 months. If you don't use the coupon in that time we'll just leave it alone, it won't expire. Please check your newsletter settings if you missed out on this email, but not to worry because the coupon that we would have emailed to you (if you let us!) is sitting in your account read to use :)

We also have a 15% off 'bundle deal' automatically applied at the checkout if you purchase 2 or more products.

the lovetone meatball is a very, very good sounding auto-wah.

Return to “Effects”