Fabfilter Subscription!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote:But is there anybody against a rent-to-own model???
I am against it becoming the 'normal' or most common way of buying software, for reasons I outlined in a previous post.

basically it's the thin end of the wedge ... a backdoor into (significantly) higher overall prices at best, the subscription model at worst, and almost certainly a scenario where the only license you would end up owning would be for the version that was current at the time of your final payment - bugs and all

imo the only thing that would keep the rent to own model 'honest', would be its much smaller market share and the fact that it would be an alternative to the dominant existing model ... which is precisely why it seems appealing today.

ymmv.

I'd like to keep my plugins working even if I'm low on cash. It would be horrible to pay rent for all the plugins I use; it would need logistical system to keep up with rent periods and bills. So, no rental please. I own everything by FabFilter, so when new stuff is published, I'll get very good discount. That's a good system. Simple and works.

In fact that would make me very happy. All of their plugins (I know of) are brilliant and I would probably use all of them excessivly, so for me a bundle subscription would make sense in this case. And since I can´t afford to buy them right away it would be (for now) the only way into the Fabfilter Realm. But I don´t see them taking that route, because why would they? Atm they´re probably the leaders of the gang and their aftermarket prices (if you´re lucky enough to find something fs) are incredibly high (compared to competitors). I don´t see a reason for them to step out of their way.

I hope they just do whatever is best for them.

If you want to get into FabFilter but can't buy retail, buy used in Buy and Sell. They do not penalize second-hand licenses; they count the same as retail licenses toward your personal discount. Once you have a few, your personal discount will be substantial, and it will continue to grow until you suddenly realize you have them all. They're one of the best plugin makers out there, and a solid investment.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Rent-to-own is where it's at.
I wouldn't be into renting to the end of time with nothing to show for it, but if I could make a small monthly payment each month for a few years until they're a permanent part of my audio arsenal, that would be killer.

Daags wrote:a backdoor into (significantly) higher overall prices at best, the subscription model at worst, and almost certainly a scenario where the only license you would end up owning would be for the version that was current at the time of your final payment - bugs and all
Hmmh. The Serum rent to own model is everything but this. As in, it's a very fair optional way to get the instrument. You pay exactly the same amount of money, total, than it would cost you to buy it in one go. You can pay the remaining sum in one go at any time. You can stop and then start the payments where you left off. And most importantly, after you have paid the whole sum, you get a 100% identical license from one that is bought without the rental plan, and you have all the same future updates/support -- and at that point you also don't need any extra license handling / DRM / activation software in order to use the instrument whatsoever.

My personal "voting with my wallet yada yada" opinion on these:

Any rent to own model that compares to the above: thumbs way up!

Any other subscription based thingy that takes your money without ever providing you with a license you own in fair terms: thumbs way down!
Daags wrote:pointing out the rent to own schemes that exist today (i.e the thin end of the wedge) is utterly and absolutely pointless in the context of my comment.
No.

Fair rent to own models available today can set the standard that customers should learn to expect instead of taking the wedge you describe ;)

:dog:

some people have a lot of trouble wrapping their head around the future tense, or the concept of gradual change. just dogshit comprehensions skills in general.

carry on and enjoy your haircuts.

Daags wrote:some people have a lot of trouble wrapping their head around the future tense, or the concept of gradual change. just dogshit comprehensions skills in general.
Hmmh, I don't think it's about that. I think it's more about this:
Daags wrote:ymmv.
:lol:

Daags wrote::dog:

some people have a lot of trouble wrapping their head around the future tense, or the concept of gradual change. just dogshit comprehensions skills in general.

I think I got what youre saying, that this model opens the door for a slippery slope type situation where product sellers would more easily be able to raise prices without changing the barrier to entry. I guess that could be the case but it's pretty similar to a downpayment system. I dont know if theres historical data on how that idea has changed to overall price of affected products, in the end though, something with less barrier to entry seems to generate more sales, look at all the %-off sales, both in middleware markets and games. Also, the way free to play dominates mobile games now. So from that perspective, it may be just a matter of time before its a common standard.

mrj1nx wrote:
Daags wrote::dog:

I think I got what youre saying, that this model opens the door for a slippery slope type situation where product sellers would more easily be able to raise prices without changing the barrier to entry. I guess that could be the case but it's pretty similar to a downpayment system. I dont know if theres historical data on how that idea has changed to overall price of affected products, in the end though, something with less barrier to entry seems to generate more sales, look at all the %-off sales, both in middleware markets and games. Also, the way free to play dominates mobile games now. So from that perspective, it may be just a matter of time before its a common standard.
I don't see rent to buy as a chance for any developer to open up for price hikes. In the end of the day it's just a simple calculation to figure out the total cost. The developer must declare how much to pay and for how many months. If it's too expensive, don't buy.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

No. Sub. Scrip. Tion.

Some wish for fabfilter to follow other dev's methods. I wish for other devs to follow fabfilter's methods, because fabfilter are genuine industry leaders.

They do, just look at all new EQ GUIs. They all simply copy FabFilter's mesmerizing looks.

Fleer wrote:They do, just look at all new EQ GUIs. They all simply copy FabFilter's mesmerizing looks.
:D I must admit that when I first switched from hardware to software and saw Fabfilter stuff I never heard about them. I thought their stuff looked like toys and I could not understand why they were quite expensive. Since then I learned a lot and I changed my mind. They are certainly designed with the user in mind.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Effects”