Reason 10 incoming

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

xbitz wrote:the next logical step after it is adding the MIDI routing/multi channel support to them, and optimize their CPU consumption then updating Combinators, Player devices, SDK etc. to able to work together more easily
You and I see eye-to-eye on where we'd like to see Reason go. I primarily use Reason as a live keyboard tool and I love the layering. Players add so much potential but aren't quite there. I'd like to be able to do velocity layers as ramps (not abrupt shifts), keyrange splits that crossfade (see Omnisphere multis), and a big part of that requires cables for players to split, layer, isolate, merge, etc.

I've done some of this in Reaper with JS but the workflow is not as conducive to my creative process.

With all that said I'll be getting the 10 upgrade for Europa, Grain, and Radical Piano (still don't own it). I'm also hopeful for a 10.5 upgrade that gives us SDK enhancements. I'm still hopeful a third party company like Robotic Bean will make a killer Sampler to finally let me put NN-XT out to pasture. That's one device I've never gelled with.

Here's to hoping.
Feel free to call me Brian.

starflakeprj wrote:An updated Combinator is high on my wishlist as well,
This seems to be high on many users list. I use the Combinator a lot - best part of Reason, imo.

However, until the CPU issues are resolved with Reason, wouldn't an upgraded Combi start causing more CPU problems - the added complexity causing more strain on the system?

festeringheap wrote:
This seems to be high on many users list. I use the Combinator a lot - best part of Reason, imo.

However, until the CPU issues are resolved with Reason, wouldn't an upgraded Combi start causing more CPU problems - the added complexity causing more strain on the system?
Not always, some newer plugins are optimized so well that they actually lower cpu while performing the same or even more functions. I definitely agree with you though, Id love to see them upgrade the contaminator as its a seriously powerful tool as it is now. Maybe even add some more custom GUI options for the designers out there to play with.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote:I definitely agree with you though, Id love to see them upgrade the contaminator as its a seriously powerful tool as it is now. Maybe even add some more custom GUI options for the designers out there to play with.
This right here. And it's a paradox, because Combinators are pretty much a Reason staple, allowing you to actually build large, impressive patches - but I can't stand looking at it anymore. Just 4 knobs and buttons is so archaic - there's nothing interesting in that GUI/UX, at all. I really wish a Combinator 2.0 would arrive that would fix everything already mentioned, plus give us a more modern take on the interface! :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bmrzycki wrote:
xbitz wrote:Players add so much potential but aren't quite there. I'd like to be able to do velocity layers as ramps (not abrupt shifts), keyrange splits that crossfade (see Omnisphere multis), and a big part of that requires cables for players to split, layer, isolate, merge, etc.

I'm still hopeful a third party company like Robotic Bean will make a killer Sampler to finally let me put NN-XT out to pasture. That's one device I've never gelled with.
By needing to split with Players do you mean outside of a combinator? Within a combinator you can set key ranges for the instrument it's attached to and the Player will follow suit and only be active in that key range. Id imagine that solving split issues and duplication solving the layering issue should you need to trigger multiple layers with the same player settings. I can see where that wouldn't work though if you need access to certain number of synth parameters in real time.

As far as the NNXT though, what kind of sampler would you want that isn't basically Kontakt? I personally don't know of any basic samplers that far exceed the NNXT capabilities without going into Kontakt and Falcon territory. Presence XT editor maybe, but only because of articulations/key switches.

jjpscott01 wrote:
festeringheap wrote:

Not always, some newer plugins are optimized so well that they actually lower cpu while performing the same or even more functions. I definitely agree with you though, Id love to see them upgrade the contaminator as its a seriously powerful tool as it is now. Maybe even add some more custom GUI options for the designers out there to play with.
Maybe users have a different idea of what an updated Combinator would be? more targets? more knobs. Doesn't this mean users would be cramming even more stuff into a Combi - even with legacy devices, updated devices, and VSTs? It all points to higher DSP usage.

Love your spell check - contaminator - lol
Last edited by festeringheap on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOL.. I do think I just invented a new device didn't I? Damn autocorrect is killing me. But yeah your right, generally more devices and configurations means more cpu usage. I only meant the optimization of the actual Combinator itself. I'd personally love it to simply be a better looking device with more customization options and GUI flexibility. If users could create complex devices that could be neatly tucked behind a nice custom-made interface from within Reason, It could make for some seriously creative output. If enough of us use the major social media channels (facebook, instagram,twitter, reasontalk, etc.) to request this and it falls on the right ears enough times, we could hopefully see it sooner rather than later
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

anyway if I would be Propellerhead, this would be my first step :party:

as was in MuLab viewtopic.php?f=79&t=448525
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

jjpscott01 wrote:neatly tucked behind a nice custom-made interface from within Reason
You can make a custom backdrop for combi? And kong :P

xbitz wrote:anyway if I would be Propellerhead, this would be my first step :party:

I'm with you on that one man. I love Reason, but damn, that whole not having an "Auto Cursor Return" option has always annoyed the crap out of me. Another one, is the omission of a mute tool inside of the note editor. What the hell is that all about? Funny enough, those are the only two things I would ever want added to Reason and I'm good to go.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Scrap the sequencer and make it a vst instrument.

Perfect.

Orbit-50 wrote: Another one, is the omission of a mute tool inside of the note editor. What the hell is that all about?
I've used that as layered(multi-track) editing workaround

more than one clip can be moved to the same position and it can mute the non used one, started a ghost clip topic ... https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 2&p=326306 which also would be nice...

so I would gladly use Reason but it needs a new sequencer so much :(
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:anyway if I would be Propellerhead, this would be my first step :party:

as was in MuLab viewtopic.php?f=79&t=448525

Oh dear Jesus, give us this. I want this so badly. Second is playing long midi notes middle of them, or anywhere, so annoying to need to play them always from the beggining... Just to hear small changes. Takes so much time! But watch this, Mattias and prop's will keep ignoring these.. :roll:

EnochLight wrote:
IRBY wrote:

I can't attest to the hurting financially part, as they are a privately held company and don't make their financials public domain, but I can attest to your other statement - which is false. VST support in Reason started way before they had venture capital from Verdane - and the product manager himself had a lot to do with that push (thanks Mattias)!
Since PH is a Swedish company, privately held really isn't that private. The official numbers is easy to find online like https://www.hitta.se/f%C3%B6retagsinfor ... 5565462206 and here you see that PH is doing quite well...a profit margin over 30 per cent 2016

Ummm.. I see lots of Swedish but no real language one could understand.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”