Which DAW do you wish you started on?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We all have our favourites but which one do you wish you developed your habits on, or would recommend to a you starting today, or even several months from now?

Renoise.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

None really. I worked with Cubase, then Protools, now Logic. I know and see a lot of people using Ableton.

After 24 years of making music, I tell the people to test them out personally and choose the one that seems to fit them best. Probably they will change later, when they have more experience. Mostly likely after the second change they will stick to that DAW and that's just fine.

You can achieve pro results with all DAWs, so it's just personal taste. Important is to know your DAW inside out and work with it fast.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

otherwise I would choose Bitwig, Brian Bollman created huuge content about it, and has a nice free intro series about all the needed things on
https://www.sormena.org/courses/

Started out on Cool Edit Pro in the late 90's (which was technically just a multitrack audio recording app with no plugin support at all), but then added Reason. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything at all today or then. Learned a lot.

As far as what I would recommend to anyone starting out, it really would depend on what they are comfortable with.
Last edited by EnochLight on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stardustmedia wrote:None really.
Same. I think i started with Fruity Loops, then used Reason occasionally, and then, at some point, bought a mag with Cubase LE on it, updated that to Elements, got Artist at some point, and now i mainly use Studio One 3 Pro, which i upgraded to from a used copy of Studio One 2 Producer. I'm planning to sell Cubase Artist, and focus completely on Studio One 3. I just like some things better than in Cubase (e.g. setting up MIDI surfaces, managing insert and send effects, managing virtual instruments, less windows etc.), and it also needs less mouse clicks for me.

Cubase LE - Free with many soundcards and super intuitive :)

I wish I had got into Live earlier than I did. I started with v5 after struggling with Acid Pro for a while. Before that it was Pro12, then Cubase on an Atari STe ... It was vst support in Live that made me switch.

I wish I had started with Live, I first got into this with cubase and then reaper. I didn't get anything done because they were, for me, so unintuitive.
dedication to flying

Pro Tools - then I'd be a real industry producer.

In all truth, Logic is the one I've always coveted, like my neighbour's ass, as imho it's got a great set of features. But I don't have a Mac.
Either way, I'm happy with Ableton 8 and Reason 4 (rewired) though. Offers all I need.

Wish I had got myself an Atari ST, and Cubase in the early 90's

The one I use now: Studio One. Since I mostly track MIDI, it suits my workflow far more than Reaper (more complicated) or Ableton Live (too performance-oriented, don't like the interface).

I'll also say: Renoise.

What a fantastic masterpiece of software!!!!!!!!! :love: :clap: :party:

I've used all DAWs on the planet. Renoise is the only one that makes me smile today.

However, I hear the developer is having a pause on the Renoise project and is focusing on some other secret project for some time. Can't wait to hear some news about that other project and hopefully we'll also see some important updates to Renoise in the next years to come.

garryknight wrote:The one I use now: Studio One. Since I mostly track MIDI, it suits my workflow far more than Reaper (more complicated) or Ableton Live (too performance-oriented, don't like the interface).
checking the demo and can't see it, has S1 global audio/MIDI transpose track which can be transformed/snapped to some scale (with shared clips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEjk8RtnwY

I can see only per track/clip transpose in S1 without auto scale snapping possibilities (I know about the one in the editor, but not want to change the position of the MIDI notes in clips, just cloned one to n instances ... ahh check the video :) )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”