Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
mcbpete
KVRian

793 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Good shout - What I've been doing at the moment focus on individual packs/vsts that does one thing really well rather than a big orchestral collection. So at the moment I have:

Piano - Pianoteq 6
Violin & Cello - Bohemian Violin & Bohemian Cello
Trumpet - Samplemodeling's The Trumpet 3 (well, I will do after my next paycheck)

UVI actually do have a good sample pack that's gonna do me for the instruments I don't yet have individual packs of, definitely better than their Orchestral Suite anyway! (though takes quite a bit of time to manually compose the articulations to sound natural): https://www.uvi.net/ircam-solo-instruments.html
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

33 posts since 15 Aug, 2017

Postby Rockerpreneur; Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Hi everyone thank you for all your replies. Sorry I can't mention you one by one but I've read each of them thoroughly.
I have't look into the VSL yet will do it later. Thank you for the heads up of Da Cappo it got my attention and listening their demo sound.
I have look again about what I want to do and the needs comes from it. The thing is, I'm not much into realism, but for my writing style I need an epic, big and bold orchestral sound. So, it will be mostly ensemble. But in other side, have one good all rounder to cater other need.
After some reading and listening, I'd narrowed down the choice to 8Dio Majestica and Sonokinetic Da Cappo, then start it from there. I can then complete the puzzle along the road with the spesific instruments/sounds one by one.
Still think about it untill the next Black Friday.
Now my questions is:
1. Is there any cheaper alternative to Majestica? Soundwise is on par with them and the range of library is as much as them.
2. What you will suggest for the "other good all rounder" ? The one that will do the job for normal tension and mellancholly writing. Also, prefer this will be a great tool to start writing to be layer with Majestica ( or the alternative ) later but the sounds doesn't need to replace. Something that is more lite, has wide range of library, have good enough realism and mix ready sounds.
Any thoughts about Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and Garritan Personal Orchestra?

I appreciate all your suggestion but in this situation, I think this is a subjective matter not right or wrong but I'm looking something that suit my needs.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rockerpreneur on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejonsolo
KVRAF

1804 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

If you want colossal, epic, then you have few choices. Metropolis Ark I is the best. Period. It is big and bold. Everyone who produces epic uses it. You won't need more. And if you need ambient tension, then go for Metropolis Ark II. You won't get the detail of Hollywood Orchestra, but you will have instant gratification for epic orchestral.

It is better than Majestica. I know, I have them both...and I have Hollywood Orchestra Diamond, and it is still my favorite. But I am a sucker for detail.
goldenhelix
KVRist

187 posts since 19 Apr, 2011

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Bladerunner1962 wrote:From my point of view, „The Orchestra“ from Best service and „Novo“ from Heavyocity are meanwhile the best Orchestra libraries, cause they are ready to play live libriaries with incredable phrases and runs incl. all orchestra instruments (splited over the keyboard).
This is a big difference in comparison to libraries before.
Sotto/Sonokinetic started with this kind of „ready to play orchestras“, but the handling was to complicate in having phrases/runs only by holding the suspedal.
This is in The Orchestra and Novo much more better solved.
I hope, that other libraries with same approach coming up soon.

Novo only does strings. It is hardly an "orchestral library", at least in the context of what the OP asks, which is for an all-in-one solution. Also, as someone who owns Novo and other string libraries, Novo is not even the best at just strings. It isn't bad - if you are looking for a certain sound, it has its merits, and the String Designer is kinda cool for giving you different ambiences, but it has some obvious shortcomings if you are looking for a real string library.
1. it does not have convincing legato
2. there is hardly any vibrato at all and as such it basically is useful for three things: very even sustained notes, pizzicato, and spiccato (which is nice and powerful, so in that regard it is good)
3. no portamento at all

I don't mean to disparage Novo - I believe it succeeds at what it intends to be, but that is most certainly not being a traditional string library and absolutely not a full orchestral library. At that price point, you are better getting Albion One, although I hardly use either library. I basically use a combination of LASS for strings, Chris Hein for solo strings, woodwinds, and brass, and then Kontakt Factory library for the lesser-used instruments that don't really warrant investing serious money into (let's be real, most of us don't need the highest quality harps or celestas money can buy).
Bladerunner1962
KVRist

174 posts since 14 Nov, 2010

Postby Bladerunner1962; Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Indeed, Novo is special, but great! Different concept.
And to play a classcial score with Novo is not really possible. It's more a live-soundtrack-
playing tool in order to get similar (e.g.) Hans Zimmer scores played.

So, the already above named "The Orchestra" library from Best Service might be the very best
live playing library....from my point of view. All instruments are included. Also phrases/string
runs are included. This is really great, cause it's ready to play with a lot of available multis.
But: it is also more orchestra soundtrack based. From my point of view, exactly that, what
I wished. Really outstanding.

"The Orchestra" combines everything, where I used before different libraries like "Action Strings" +
"String Run" and so on.
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

Postby Rockerpreneur; Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

thejonsolo wrote:If you want colossal, epic, then you have few choices. Metropolis Ark I is the best. Period. It is big and bold. Everyone who produces epic uses it. You won't need more. And if you need ambient tension, then go for Metropolis Ark II. You won't get the detail of Hollywood Orchestra, but you will have instant gratification for epic orchestral.

It is better than Majestica. I know, I have them both...and I have Hollywood Orchestra Diamond, and it is still my favorite. But I am a sucker for detail.

Thanks!
It's help me much since you're own and use them both and give your opinion.
I see you'd go with Hollywood Orchestra for details, can it be sounds epic, big and bold with some processing? Does the epic sounds of Ark achievable with Hollywood Strings?
I haven't look much into Hollywood Strings nor to hear the sample. Might be this one what I'm looking for. Also, does the different version of them is about different sample rate or the library size?
Will look into them now..
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

Postby Rockerpreneur; Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Goldenhelix and Bladerunner..
The Novo sound for me is a bit synthesize, No?
They do have epic things much but look like it more suit well for the end layer. I think I can't write from scratch entirely with them. They made for specific purpose and maybe it's a great choice if I have plenty of sample library in place.
The Orchestra is within my range, how do they sound in term of epic?

So maybe now the choice is between the Ark, Hollywood Strings and The Orchestra.
Any thoughts to help me decide?

Also, any comments about the Miroslav Philharmonik 2?
I can get them for cheap does any 1 or 2 sounds that can keep up with Hollywood Strings, Ark or The Orchestra for the end product?
Does it light on CPU I can use it as a quick writing tool then replace the sounds later?

Thanks!
Last edited by Rockerpreneur on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortifex
KVRian

519 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Hollywood Strings sounds lovely, but it doesn't have that big chunky sound of Majestica or Ark. It comes with a zillion articulations, which on the face of it sounds good - until you realise you can't set up any keyswitches for them. You have to assign them to MIDI channels instead, which is much more fiddly. Definitely not the most playable library out there, but it's easily one of the best in terms of sound quality.
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

Postby Rockerpreneur; Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Vortifex wrote:Hollywood Strings sounds lovely, but it doesn't have that big chunky sound of Majestica or Ark. It comes with a zillion articulations, which on the face of it sounds good - until you realise you can't set up any keyswitches for them. You have to assign them to MIDI channels instead, which is much more fiddly. Definitely not the most playable library out there, but it's easily one of the best in terms of sound quality.

Will keep these in mind thank you :tu:
goldenhelix
KVRist

187 posts since 19 Apr, 2011

Postby goldenhelix; Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Rockerpreneur wrote:Goldenhelix and Bladerunner..
The Novo sound for me is a bit synthe, No?
They do have epic things much but look like it more suit well for the end layer. I think I can't write from scratch entirely with them. They made for specific purpose and maybe it's a great choice if I have plenty of sample library in place.
The Orchestra is within my range, how do they sound in term of epic?
Thanks!

Not sure how you mean "synthe", but Novo does have a very clean modern sound. I don't want to say they're not realistic because they are well recorded. They just sound very pristine, smooth. They are pretty, and again the spiccatos to me have a nice strong sound, but it's not a really expressive library in large part due to the lack of portamento and vibrato. I would definitely say if you are looking for a certain sound it is a good library as an addition to your other tools. I would not recommend it to anyone as a primary string library, because there are just too many things it doesn't do.

I have not used The Orchestra but for the price point it looks decent, especially if you are looking to do quick sketches or mockups that don't really require a lot of subtlety or lesser-used articulations.

With all virtual orchestration, the answer is really "it depends on what you want to do with it" because there is probably not a library in existence that does everything. No matter how good a library is, it has limitations. The question is whether those limitations matter to you for making the kind of music you are looking to make. If you want to make typical modern cinematic mock-ups easily, The Orchestra doesn't look to be a bad solution, but again I can't specifically endorse it because I haven't used it.
funky lime
KVRian

971 posts since 17 Sep, 2002, from the imagination

Postby funky lime; Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Rockerpreneur wrote:So maybe now the choice is between the Ark, Hollywood Strings and The Orchestra.
Any thoughts to help me decide?

Ark I doesn't go below MF dynamic, so if you try to go quiet with it, the timbre sounds off. Ark II, on the other hand, can get pretty big and loud based on the demos, even though it hovers around the MP dynamic. It's a pretty well-known trick that you can get big, epic sounds (specifically with boomy percussion, though I'm sure it could apply to other stuff as well) by playing stuff in the lower dynamic range and just adding gain. So, with that in mind, I'd assume that Ark II is probably slightly more flexible.

Before you drop too much money, definitely check out the Jasper Blunk freebies over on BigCat's blog. They are the best "epic" sounds in the free realm, though it's limited to trumpets, trombones, french horns, and violins (and only a couple articulations of each). The trumpet "matrix swells" in particular are quite lovely, even compared to some commercial libraries' offerings.
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

Postby Rockerpreneur; Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:17 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

goldenhelix wrote: With all virtual orchestration, the answer is really "it depends on what you want to do with it" because there is probably not a library in existence that does everything. No matter how good a library is, it has limitations. The question is whether those limitations matter to you for making the kind of music you are looking to make. If you want to make typical modern cinematic mock-ups easily, The Orchestra doesn't look to be a bad solution, but again I can't specifically endorse it because I haven't used it.

I have mention in previous post I was looking for an epic and big orchestral sound. So it will mostly ensemble and all instruments must be covered, all in one package.
I don't mind about realism by now. An epic orchestra library as a starting point, then adding other products for realism, details etc along the way.

Thanks!
Bladerunner1962
KVRist

174 posts since 14 Nov, 2010

Postby Bladerunner1962; Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Great and fluid discussion here! :-)

There was in one of the last postings here a question, how epic "The Orchestra" (Best Service) sounds.
From my point of view really epic, cause the string runs/phrases are included beside brass and strings...spread over the keyboard with different sections.

There was also a question, what is the aim with orchestra libraries. I'm not a composer or producer.
So I don't work with midi recording files in order to develop e.g. a score.
My aim is to improvise live...also in playing orchestra's beside my other VST stuff.
And here for me "The Orchestra" is the best choice. I guess, there should be some Videos in the web, where users demonstrate, what happens in playing with this library.
I don't know any other orchestra libraries, which are function similar.
Sonokinetic started with this kind of libraries, which includes all instruments. But the playing workflow is not suitable for me, cause you have to use in special way the sustain pedal in order to start string runs/phrases. "The Orchestra" has only to play.
fmr
KVRAF

6439 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:50 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Rockerpreneur wrote:
goldenhelix wrote: With all virtual orchestration, the answer is really "it depends on what you want to do with it" because there is probably not a library in existence that does everything. No matter how good a library is, it has limitations. The question is whether those limitations matter to you for making the kind of music you are looking to make. If you want to make typical modern cinematic mock-ups easily, The Orchestra doesn't look to be a bad solution, but again I can't specifically endorse it because I haven't used it.

I have mention in previous post I was looking for an epic and big orchestral sound. So it will mostly ensemble and all instruments must be covered, all in one package.
I don't mind about realism by now. An epic orchestra library as a starting point, then adding other products for realism, details etc along the way.

Thanks!

I may sound like a VSL fanboy (I am not), but if you just want an epic orchestral sound, have you checked Vienna Ensemble Pro? It comes with the Epic Orchestra bundled, and costs "only" € 285. I don't have VEP (yet), so, I can't speak for Epic Orchestra, but the examples in the site sound quite good. Take a look:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Softwar ... semble_PRO

This said, I am another advising Metropolis Ark libraries from Orchestral Tools. The only con Orchestral Tools libraries is the price (quite expensive). But the ARK are not so expensive when compared with similar products, and they are VERY good.
Fernando (FMR)
Rockerpreneur
KVRist

Postby Rockerpreneur; Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 am Re: If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

fmr wrote:
Rockerpreneur wrote:

Thanks!

I may sound like a VSL fanboy (I am not), but if you just want an epic orchestral sound, have you checked Vienna Ensemble Pro? It comes with the Epic Orchestra bundled, and costs "only" € 285. I don't have VEP (yet), so, I can't speak for Epic Orchestra, but the examples in the site sound quite good. Take a look:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Softwar ... semble_PRO

This said, I am another advising Metropolis Ark libraries from Orchestral Tools. The only con Orchestral Tools libraries is the price (quite expensive). But the ARK are not so expensive when compared with similar products, and they are VERY good.

No, not yet. I'll take a look on VEP. Anyone use them and care to give some oppinions?
Especially compare with Metropolis Ark 1 in term of epic sound.
Yes the price is quite expensive. But I just found they have discount on Ark 1 in 2016's Black Friday. Hope they will do it again.

Thanks!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries