If I tweak a copyrighted preset can I legally sell / share it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:Note, such a case might poke a hole in the bright line sampling rule.
Well, I'm not so sure about that one. If we consider patches synthesizer "recipes" that are not protected by the law, I don't see how it affects samples which are short audio recordings that have been consistently protected in court. In other words, patches and samples are two unrelated things.
ghettosynth wrote: BTW: Thanks again Frantz for posting details from elsewhere.
Sure, no problem.

Frantz wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Note, such a case might poke a hole in the bright line sampling rule.
Well, I'm not so sure about that one. If we consider patches synthesizer "recipes" that are not protected by the law, I don't see how it affects samples which are short audio recordings that have been consistently protected in court. In other words, patches and samples are two unrelated things.
Yes, obviously they are two different things. However, we can't forget that the existing bright line rule was, in essence, an expression of annoyance, i.e., this is not the court's problem, it's simple, get a license. That said, few cases have dealt with limited originality in samples used outside of music works. I'm not saying that there's an obvious path, I'm saying that there's potential for a similar short-sighted ruling that simplifies things for the courts.

Note, there is some precedent here in Bridgeman vs Corel with respect to images. There, it was ruled that mechanically created images of public domain images are not sufficiently "original" to be subject to copyright protection.

Right now, there appears to be widespread belief that any sample is a recording worthy of copyright protection. This isn't really true, for example, a mechanically created wavetable may not be subject to copyright protection, but, I would like to see further clarification and a more reasonable position taken by the courts.

BTW: In a link from you link, there's good information on Wikipedia about originality, including a reference to the above cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality

Basicly it`s pretty simple (as already some others posted here):

If you want to be a sounddesigner - design YOUR sound.

But the topic`s headline is more a kind of asking like "Can i be a f*** pirate and be legal with it?"
And it`s not legal. Even if you "tweak" more than 10 parameters... It will come back to you, early or later. Which will damage your image, which can you get closed out on distribution platforms and can bring you a lawsuit.

And this issue is not only focused on presets, for example... some guys taking drumloops of others, adding a kick to the loop, bounce it and sell 100 or more of them as their "own" sample pack. And if someone or the origial creator of the material find out - you get post by lawyer, your distributor and the original creator etc and have a big problem.

For example, in europe many had caught "just" by downloading one MP3 illegally and had to pay up to 1000€ as first disciplinary warning. What you think can come if you take several presets of others - and resell them (making money out of a massive copyright violation) ...

I think, just the question which is ask here is soooooo wrong, from legally view point and also from a morally viewpoint. Also think about the inverted viewpoint, would you think it`s ok / or don`t lawyer someone who takes your sounds and resell them with mini changes? I guess no.

but in all honesty, what's stopping someone from copying the preset settings from one synth preset pack and selling it as a preset pack for a different synth? is that illegal?

Why is this even a question? :ud:

To avoid confusion, I am talking about the topic, not the post that preceded mine....

dnekm wrote:Why is this even a question? :ud:

To avoid confusion, I am talking about the topic, not the post that preceded mine....
It came up in another thread which was about a different topic ...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=429167

So rather than derail that thread, I started this one.

---
Last edited by mztk on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---
Last edited by mztk on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---
Last edited by mztk on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnekm wrote:Why is this even a question? :ud:

It's a reasonable question about the nature of copyright and presets. The only thing bad about it is the formulation of the question. It presumes what it's asking. The question really should be something along the lines of "To what extent are presets copyrightable?"

The answer isn't as simple as a lot of devs would like it to be. If that sounds absurd to you, consider a similar question "To what extent are sentences copyrightable?"

cryophonik wrote:The more I think about it, the more the whole idea of copyrighting a synth preset seems odd to me. If I can copyright the settings on a synth to get a certain sound, why can't I copyright the settings on other instruments, or other plugins that aren't instruments. Can the sound of a piano, violin, or a trumpet be copyrighted? If not, then why would synth patches be any different? I just set my volume knob on my bass to 7, the pickup blend to about 60/40, and the tone knob to 6 - it sounds awesome and it's my own original creation. How does that differ from setting the knobs on a synth, aside from the potential number of knobs/settings? Why can't I copyright my bass settings? How about an EQ or a compressor? Can I create a bank of Pro-Q or Pro-C settings, sell them, and seek a legal remedy for copyright violations if I discover that somebody shared them without my consent, even if one of my presets was a flat-line EQ, or the default compressor settings, just with a different name? How are synth patches any different? The person creating the patches didn't create the synth, we just alter the settings to achieve a certain sound, just like I would do with an EQ or compressor. I'm having a difficult time seeing why synth patches have this exclusive exception, aside from the obvious fact that there is a market for selling synth presets and people want to protect what they sell in order to maximize profits. Any copyright experts here that can enlighten me?
This is actually a pretty decent point. However, if the company built the synth, I think they should have propriety over whether or not their synth preset is copyright protected. Although, then you could say that Gibson or Fender built their guitars, then why can't they copyright the sound? It does seem to dip into some pretty grey, murky water here. Everyone is benefiting from the accumulation of knowledge built up over time. So did a synth company just build something out of thin air from pure genius? No, they relied on past knowledge and learned skills to get them where there are. So we all are "copying" someone at least to some degree. Should Bill Gates or his programmers have copyright claims to a synth built in a Windows based code? To me, however, it's about intellectual honest. Would you really feel good about tweaking a preset a little bit and selling it as your own? There are virtually infinite number of possibilities with any given synth, so just come up with something original. At least if you try, and you do happen to unintentionally copy someone here and there, then you'll probably get a pass --as opposed to tweaking a few hundred or so and claiming them as your own.

Return to “Instruments”