Reason 12

xbitz wrote:yepp AutoArp has been removed from the shop :( it can be done with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8opepJkMFU
Index Chord Dictionary too but not so elegant
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ictionary/
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7497739
the routing is homework
Thanks for the info! Looks pretty cool.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

bmrzycki wrote:
qvprod wrote:By needing to split with Players do you mean outside of a combinator? Within a combinator you can set key ranges for the instrument it's attached to and the Player will follow suit and only be active in that key range. Id imagine that solving split issues and duplication solving the layering issue should you need to trigger multiple layers with the same player settings. I can see where that wouldn't work though if you need access to certain number of synth parameters in real time.
Sorry if it wasn't clear: I am referring to scaled crossfades. Take a look at Omnisphere's stack mode:
Layers 2 and 3 crossfade across 2 octaves. Internally the velocity of those notes is scaled down/up to generate a fading effect. It's quite powerful once I learned about it. Reason's note ranges are binary: either it's on or it's off.

Omnisphere can also do this for velocity ranges, fading in interesting layers the harder or softer you play. This kind of thing should be right up's Reason's Combi's alley. Unfortunately this too is a binary thing with the Combi editor.
Got it. Sort of similar to dynamic split point in Mainstage but also for velocity.
As far as the NNXT though, what kind of sampler would you want that isn't basically Kontakt? I personally don't know of any basic samplers that far exceed the NNXT capabilities without going into Kontakt and Falcon territory. Presence XT editor maybe, but only because of articulations/key switches.
I'm more interested in a sampler that feels like an instrument and not as a player for large multi-sampled libraries. Something like the older http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php . Grain looks to be the start of that and maybe if I disable all the grain options it can be that. I want something that's between dr-rex, nn19, and grain with a workflow that focuses on interacting with samples instead of just playing them.
Ah ok, basically the ability to do stuff like modulate sample start and loop points. Pretty much almost granular synthesis. It does sound like you may be able to pull that off with Grain.

Personally, I hope that PH will consider opening up Reason even more to third party developers. The API for rack extensions is only available for registered companies, AFAIK, it's not "open" to everyone. I'd like to see a C++ and/or Lua scripting API for the entire software so that users could write their own functions and classes for Reason.

Yeah, I know. Waste of breath. Won't happen. :dog:

OK, at least give us some kind of walled garden "Super-Combinator" device for combinators, with advanced macro control and scripting and self-contained packages of clips, automation data, notes, samples, etc.

(Yeah... right. If Reason version 10, by any means, is a new measure of what's to expect from future releases, maybe we'll see "the most innovative Reason ever" in version 11, offering 10 different knob designs for the good old Combinator.)

gas pump wrote:This update looks great to new users who've been thinking about getting Reason. And users that have been holding off on updating until something more was introduced to accompany their aging instruments and effects.

As for people with GAS that own a lot of VSTs or REs or developers of REs, this probably doesn't look like a great update. The new wave table and granular instruments look pretty tempting for the rest of us. And it's about time they updated their sample library to 2017.

The work flow and bug fixes should be included in the upcoming incremental updates not only for full upgrades, but I'm sure they're working on those too already.

Propellerheads have finally returned to their old release structure and will probably net them more users and financial benefits. Which is a win, win for everyone. So be a little patient and enjoy the ride.
Propellerhead has updated Reason and Reason Essentials to v9.5.2.
Like I said, learn a little patiences, it goes a long way in life.

Sailor16 wrote:Personally, I hope that PH will consider opening up Reason even more to third party developers. The API for rack extensions is only available for registered companies, AFAIK, it's not "open" to everyone.
Actually, it's pretty much open to everyone. ;) It's not hard at all to register yourself as an LLC in most countries and become a "1-person company". The vast majority of all the RE's in the shop are exactly that - independent developers that are just "1-person companies". :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

xbitz wrote:can't see their financial numbers, but maybe starting to develop useful things (steps to right direction) for the already exist/returning users and introduce some subscription paying model...
NO!!!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071 wrote:"Banned". Karma. ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The needless ad hominem attacks were even irritating me enough to want to see him banned.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
chk071 wrote:"Banned". Karma. ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The needless ad hominem attacks were even irritating me enough to want to see him banned.
I have to say that he wasn't that bad. Yes, he could be extremely abrasive at times, but his communication was dead on "shotgun style" straight forward and I actually respected his point of view most of the time because he wasn't just some idiot run of the mill forum whacko. He was just a longtime rabid Reason guy. You don't wanna mess with those guys. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Dead on, shotgun style?

He had a personal vendetta against Propellerhead employees. The only threads he commented in the last year was about Reason. He also called every person who defended Propellerhead a "fanboi".

Only a few thoughts..

Maybe you haven't read many of his posts.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I thought it was a woman, thought I recalled that from the 9.5 beta thread.
Hell hath no fury and all...

Honestly, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to their posts.

starflakeprj wrote:Dead on, shotgun style?

He had a personal vendetta against Propellerhead employees. The only threads he commented in the last year was about Reason. He also called every person who defended Propellerhead a "fanboi".
Only a few thoughts..
Maybe you haven't read many of his posts.
Yeah I actually did read them. I'm sorry, but that guy was entertaining as hell, even on the old PUF. The guy was a character. I guess I can see why some people would not... oh forget it. :hihi:

I've always been fantasising about using Reason, because of its in-the-box ideology (don't have to use the VSTs), the 'rack' skeuomoprhism with the paper stickers on the gear and cables hanging out and ...how colourful the interface is. Yesterday I finally d/l the demo and launched it on my Surface Pro 4 and although it run much better than I expected, God it feels archaic - the GUI is really tiny in a lot of the devices, there's lots of empty spaces taking the screen estate to facilitate the 'hardware studio' metaphor, I needed to scroll all the time to see anything (that mixer is overwhelmingly HUGE!), despite things being small there are big pixels everywhere. The sequencer was a total mess, completely unintuitive to the point where whatever I clicked I somehow broke the demo songs (and I've extensive experience with Live, Bitwig and Studio One)...

It that sense it feels like Live 9 on Windows, i.e. a DAW designed to be run on a big, but low-DPI screens of 720-1080p, but whereas Live somehow compensates the lack of any improvements to its mediocre and by now archaic arrangement view with the playfulness of the session view, I fail to find something to be excited about in Reason.

Shame. I'll still follow the development and maybe jump it at some point if they decide to modernise the UI and sequencer.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The way Reason started out was a giant instrument rack that was meant to be only midi driven and proprietary. As time went on they had to adapt to the changing demands of their customer base. They added things like audio recording, cv, an emulation of a mixing desk and finally VST plugins.

They aren't the quickest at delivering big changes, until now with the new investor. The new investor and business model seems to be an improvement over years of stagnation and they deserve a chance to develop. Give them some time to catch up and who knows they may surpass all your expectations.

I liked reason up untill V5 , maybe 6 with the added audiotracks and mixer .
From there on it went downhill , they got really stiff competition from bitwig , which has a user interface designed for modularity from the ground up and a cv rate that is ACTUAL audio rate , which the props didn't update the last 15 years ( still remains a 64th of the actual sample rate ).

imho ,reason has a severe identity crisis .
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Man I guess as always this sort of thing is going to be a matter of preference but one of the reasons I still love working in the Reason is the way it looks. I run it on windows 10 with 2 monitors (both 27 inch) and it looks great my way. With that said, I don't actually run my monitors at the highest resolution simply as a matter of taste so I can see how it would bother those who are.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”