A bittersweet tribute to the Pet Shop Boys - Synth-pop made with 80s hardware

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My channeling of Pet Shop Boys and added regrets of not finding success in the music insdustry the way I once saw it...
Made with hardware synths, samplers and drum machines from the 80s. Roland S-10, Juno 6, Korg DW-8000 and more.

https://soundcloud.com/espenkraft/espen ... 8-too-late

Wow man, what an amazing track. Love the chord progressions and the sounds. You nailed it!

Mix seems to bit off. Some sounds choked with compression. Vocals a bit dark but still intelligible.

It seems like a great tune with a story. Bittersweet.

There were a couple of unusual chord changes where I was thinking, man, this guy must know his music theory. Clever stuff.

Overall, I liked it very much.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Beautiful music. Nailed the Pet Shop Boys sound composition-wise and with the lyrics. This track is mixed and mastered much louder in my experience than the original music of the Pet Shop Boys, where the tension of the music was not as full and bassy as with the layers of music in this track. I like music with a lot of beefy basses and present low mid, there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion, although a lot of commercially presented music has so much bass turned down that the snare drums sometimes become the most beefy thing in the whole track, maybe favoured by a lot of listeners when music doesn't have much present tension at all. The composition of this track is excellent, well modulated and progressing and changing from one to the other part. Very enjoyable music. Thanks for sharing.

romboh wrote:Wow man, what an amazing track. Love the chord progressions and the sounds. You nailed it!
+1
Not 25 years too late. Fantastic emulation of a great band. Thanks for this. Made my evening.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

romboh wrote:Wow man, what an amazing track. Love the chord progressions and the sounds. You nailed it!
Awesome feedback man. Thanks a lot!! :)

Aloysius wrote:Mix seems to bit off. Some sounds choked with compression. Vocals a bit dark but still intelligible.

It seems like a great tune with a story. Bittersweet.

There were a couple of unusual chord changes where I was thinking, man, this guy must know his music theory. Clever stuff.

Overall, I liked it very much.
Thanks! There's actually little compression going on, but Soundcloud isn't very forgiving with some type of tracks. I think this suffers more than some. Glad you noticed some of the key changes :)

EatMe wrote:Beautiful music. Nailed the Pet Shop Boys sound composition-wise and with the lyrics. This track is mixed and mastered much louder in my experience than the original music of the Pet Shop Boys, where the tension of the music was not as full and bassy as with the layers of music in this track. I like music with a lot of beefy basses and present low mid, there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion, although a lot of commercially presented music has so much bass turned down that the snare drums sometimes become the most beefy thing in the whole track, maybe favoured by a lot of listeners when music doesn't have much present tension at all. The composition of this track is excellent, well modulated and progressing and changing from one to the other part. Very enjoyable music. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot for detailed feedback!
It IS mixed and mastered with more loudness and bass than the true 80s sound, but I've tried to keep the loudness to a level where it down't sound TOO compressed and strident.

Key modulation is very important to me, so I'm excited you picked up on that.

slartibartfast wrote:
+1
Not 25 years too late. Fantastic emulation of a great band. Thanks for this. Made my evening.
Sweet! Gracias! :)

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgot to mention that I like the name as well. It's a memorable title.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Wow. What a great pop song. :)

Great stuff! I think the autotune gives it a kind of melancholic nostalgic robot kinda vibe...quite appropriate for 80s nostalgia :) Very nicely done.

good :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Really enjoyed this!
I grew up with the music of Pet Shop Boys so can share in your nostalgia with pleasure!

Loved the production. All sounds are spot on. However, like somebody said the snare seems a bit mismatched with the rest of the song. Just a bit. Maybe it's too loud? Too obviously 'club' if you know what I mean.

That lead at the end was delicious. Really good sound and melody.

Liked the humour in the lyrics as well: "Searching for the sounds of 88, but finding I was 22 years too late". :hihi:

Looking forward to more!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Music Cafe”