Ring mod type effect in FM8 patch

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so there is a free pack of FM8 patches called Autumn Tales by Sonus Dept. I downloaded it and the first patch Crystal Sunrise has something interesting going on that I can't figure out. I have used FM8 for years and never seen this...

The patch is only one operator (F) and then uses a bunch of effects which mostly are responsible for how the patch sounds. But if you turn them all off, you can still hear what sounds like a ring modulated effect, meaning you will hear more than one note for each note you process on the keyboard. If you change the Ratio (I believe it is set at 1.6 in the patch), you will hear both of these notes change.

My question is how is this possible? It is like the the operator frequency is modulating its own frequency somehow, but I can't see how it is doing this. Any thoughts? Ordinarily I would expect that you'd need a second operator to accomplish this, but there is only one being used here.

Never mind... I figured it out.

In case anyone's curious (this might be obvious, but maybe not), it's because the patch used the Morph section and the locator was ever-so-slightly positioned up and to the right from the bottom left of the XY pad, such that, even though there was only one oscillator in the visible matrix, it was slightly modulating against the other oscillators that were just barely becoming active from the morph process.

I hardly ever use the Morph pad but this is making me want to play with that more in the future. Funny how you can think you know an instrument really well but still learn things after so much time.

Return to “Instruments”