Waves Q10, L1 and Audiotrack 25th Anniversary Ed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AudioTrack L1 Ultramaximizer Q10 Equalizer

My Gold is still under WUP so I installed the update and immediately broke some of my REAPER fx chains. Not too bad for me at this time but something to be aware of! Waves System presets are kept ok. I thought one of the reasons people like Waves is to do with old projects working... Maybe that's a Pro Tools trick?

Edit: Clearing the cache and re-scanning seems to have done the trick! All good now.

New ISP for L1 is great news, basically brings it up to modern standards as a simple safety limiter. Proportional q filters... well, it's a new feature. Need to have a proper play.

I don't like the look of the new GUIs, Waves have a weird idea of "easy on the eye". Some of the old stuff like metaflanger is looking tired but AudioTrack already looked pretty good to me. The new layout seems more about EDM fashion than usability... There is undoubtedly a benefit from the increased size though. I don't get it; graphical revamp of some classic plugins to a flat colorful style - seemed like the perfect opportunity to experiment with rescalable vector graphics? Why no resize? :-(

Hopefully we don't need to wait for the 50th Anniversary to get a bigger Renaissance EQ!
Last edited by imrae on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

do_androids_dream wrote: I reinstalled audiotrack and got the updated gui - I'm still within my wup period though.
Is it possible to only reinstall 1 plugin (or a few) in Waves Center while the rest stays installed?

Edit; solved; found the Update button on the Waves Center, above to the left. Not so used to Waves updates...mostly had updates of the Waves Center itself.
Last edited by electricthing on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

So updating breaks plugin instances in pre-existing sessions? Ouch, that's a big deal. If they update API 560 and it breaks compatibility with old song sessions... i'm screwed!

The new Q10 looks nice and clean when maximised but I don't see the point in maximising without a pretty analyser.

Elektronisch wrote:
gas pump wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:Cool update! Q10 looks like GUI is designed for this eq to have analyzer built in. Does it?
No thankfully, who needs the added cpu usage and visual distraction anyways? Get yourself a free analyzer if you're have issues hearing frequencies.
Basicly everyone needs that otherwise fabfilter pro q2 wouldnt be so popular also DAW makers wouldnt integrate that in theyr eqs ;) and i dont have issues hearing frequencies but having guidance helps during mixdown. And it can always be optional right?
When you say "everyone", probably what you meant are musicians that aren't professional engineers? Yes, most of them probably need visual aides to help them learn how to listen for frequencies. After spending decades developing your ears, you become less dependent on crutches.

Someday you'll have to take off the training wheels and discover you've been making your mix decisions based on the wrong senses. Probably the same reason there aren't too many professional blind painters.

gas pump wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
gas pump wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:Cool update! Q10 looks like GUI is designed for this eq to have analyzer built in. Does it?
No thankfully, who needs the added cpu usage and visual distraction anyways? Get yourself a free analyzer if you're have issues hearing frequencies.
Basicly everyone needs that otherwise fabfilter pro q2 wouldnt be so popular also DAW makers wouldnt integrate that in theyr eqs ;) and i dont have issues hearing frequencies but having guidance helps during mixdown. And it can always be optional right?
When you say "everyone", probably what you meant are musicians that aren't professional engineers? Yes, most of them probably need visual aides to help them learn how to listen for frequencies. After spending decades developing your ears, you become less dependent on crutches.

Someday you'll have to take off the training wheels and discover you've been making your mix decisions based on the wrong senses. Probably the same reason there aren't too many professional blind painters.
I see you woke up on the wrong foot. No need to bite people :wink:

Being shortsighted doesnt make you professional :wink:

The updates didn't kill my Laptop. I'm pleased. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Updated plugins are moved into new waveshell so you need to rescan all the Waves plugins. After that everything - including the plugin database and old projects - were working fine at least in FL Studio.
No signature here!

Could someone condence the differencies between Waves...

L1 (anniversary ed.)
L2
L3-16
L3-LL

from the user /end-result (limting, maximizing quality) point of view :?:

gas pump wrote:WUP doesn't matter, it's a free update to all version 9 users.
Belated thanks for this, cheers.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Elektronisch wrote:
gas pump wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
gas pump wrote:

I see you woke up on the wrong foot. No need to bite people :wink:

Being shortsighted doesnt make you professional :wink:
The irony in this forum is comical. :hihi:

Irony IS of ten chemical... :scared:

robotmonkey wrote:Updated plugins are moved into new waveshell so you need to rescan all the Waves plugins. After that everything - including the plugin database and old projects - were working fine at least in FL Studio.
Clearing the cached VST list and rescanning seems to have fixed my REAPER problems too :)

Harry_HH wrote:Could someone condence the differencies between Waves...

L1 (anniversary ed.)
L2
L3-16
L3-LL

from the user /end-result (limting, maximizing quality) point of view :?:
L1 - Decent channel limiter.. outdated as far as being a master limiter really - unless everyone is happy to go to -13 LUFS masters (I wish..) in which case it would be perfectly fine on the master!

L2 - Selling point was the auto release that L1 lacked - now L1 has auto release so not really sure what the skinny is here.

L3 - Multiband limiter. Imo a flawed/bad concept that's hard to get a good result from. L3-16 has 16 bands instead of the usual 5 of the regular L3. L3-LL is simply a minimum phase version (L3 is linear phase) which means it has Low Latency but is somewhat unusable due to phase problems at crossover points. Not a fan at all of this limiter.

I know that all comes across as a bit negative but that's my take.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I know that all comes across as a bit negative but that's my take.
I see it exactly the same way. L1 is not a master limiter anymore. L2 was supposed to be a slight improvement but never reached cult status, probably because of the price (at its time of release; no pun intended) and the too few new things it brought to the table. L3 was supposed to revolutionize with 5 bands, and somehow got out of hand with the L3-16 later, but I guess (at least for me) it just took too much time and attention to detail to set it up.

So IMO none of them are "bad" as such. There's just much more competitive and better working stuff around nowadays.

I've actually grown to quite like the L1, even today, because it's just so simple to set up. I know there are things like Korvpressor or LoudMax or W1, the free-or-cheap brigade with less hassle regarding copy protection or hidden fees (now they get you at transfers), but the L1 just brings some kind of relatable simplicity to the table.

I'm just glad that I updated my Waves stuff yesterday, before they released those 25th anniversary GUIs. What the heck are those guys smoking, some kind of SteamPunk crack? I'll take the old fugly gray late-90s GUIs over those new candy-store hallucinogen flashbacks they call interfaces, thank you very much. :neutral:

Please tell me there's a way to make them default to the "legacy" look, and I don't have to switch from new to old every time I load an instance?
Confucamus.

Return to “Effects”