Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
metamorphosis
KVRAF

3686 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Hamilton, New Zealand

Postby metamorphosis; Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

XP/Vista/Win7/8/10 Optimization Guides, DAW Tips - HomePCSupport Guides
I made a progressive-acoustic album and an electronica thing and an alt-metal doohicky...
deastman
KVRAF

6382 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

:hihi:

Oh well, at least it sets the tone for the rest of the album. The first two were by far the best.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
metamorphosis
KVRAF

3686 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Hamilton, New Zealand

Postby metamorphosis; Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Agreed - although the last one is surprisingly good, with some not-so-great tracks wedged in the middle there. Omega Point is brill.
XP/Vista/Win7/8/10 Optimization Guides, DAW Tips - HomePCSupport Guides
I made a progressive-acoustic album and an electronica thing and an alt-metal doohicky...
dark water
KVRist

469 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Postby dark water; Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

In fairness, Enigma sold a massive number of albums, and garnered worldwide awards left right and centre in the early 1990s.
More than anyone at KVR has ever got (unless Elton John or Phil Collins really do drop by here under pseudonyms!).

Yep, some of it was new-age bollocks, but it also struck a 'self-discovery' chord with many people at that time. Other groups such as Deep Forest and Opus 3 were also popular and pursued similar themes.
Personally, I don't mind listening to some of the songs on Enigma's first album (some of the monk chanting is quite nice), but the ''messages'' and over-use of ''female sounds'' on the songs quickly become tiresome.

One can be cynical and slag off previous trends, but where does one draw the line: the ''inexplicable disco bullshit'' of the 1970s, the twattish ''inexplicable dubstep wobble bullshit'' of the 2000s, the ''inexplicable and unimaginative 4/4 bullshit'' of the 1990s, the ''inexplicable lame EDM bullshit'' of today?
You get the drift...

Lastly, the ''just for fun'' comment doesn't really fit well with the disparaging topic theme ''Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit''.
If nothing else, Enigma's choices can be explained, and justified, by the shedload of money Michael Cretu made from his invention. Less cynical people than me may also point out that his music brought relaxation / happiness to others...
Guenon
KVRian

996 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

dark water wrote:One can be cynical and slag off previous trends, but where does one draw the line: the ''inexplicable disco bullshit'' of the 1970s, the twattish ''inexplicable dubstep wobble bullshit'' of the 2000s, the ''inexplicable and unimaginative 4/4 bullshit'' of the 1990s, the ''inexplicable lame EDM bullshit'' of today?
You get the drift...

Lastly, the ''just for fun'' comment doesn't really fit well with the disparaging topic theme ''Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit''.
If nothing else, Enigma's choices can be explained, and justified, by the shedload of money Michael Cretu made from his invention. Less cynical people than me may also point out that his music brought relaxation / happiness to others...

The video contains specifically the spoken word new age bs from Enigma albums back to back ;). It isn't targeted at the music but the "deep" and "mystical" literary material that introduces the listener to the music.

To the OP, the video made me smile, hah. I listened to a lot of Enigma back in the day, too, and enjoyed it a lot, and still think fondly of it.
sprnva
KVRian

997 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Postby sprnva; Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

There is no spoon.
chk071
KVRAF

13549 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Is that "message" stuff on every track? Well, that surely is annoying as hell. The music seems fine really.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
4damind
KVRAF

4558 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:35 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

The first time when Cretu came out with Enigma, it was amazing. New and fresh, never heard before ideas.
Cretu sold over 14.000.000 units with MCMXC a.D. this is (or better was also at that time) a big number.
According to Wikipedia this has changed a lot. Sales are very low: he sold about 13.000 units with "Seven Lives Many Faces" and I expect the same for the last album.

When Cretu started with Enigma it was great. But the following releases are a bit.. hmm. So I would only partly agree with this "new-age bullshit" :P
dark water
KVRist

469 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Postby dark water; Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Guenon wrote:The video contains specifically the spoken word new age bs from Enigma albums back to back ;). It isn't targeted at the music but the "deep" and "mystical" literary material that introduces the listener to the music.

To the OP, the video made me smile, hah. I listened to a lot of Enigma back in the day, too, and enjoyed it a lot, and still think fondly of it.

The point though is that, like it or not (and I don't, as per what I wrote in my second paragraph which you didn't quote), the spoken word sections are very much an intrinsic part of Cretu's productions.
And people bought his first couple of albums in large numbers, despite having (or maybe even because they had) these spoken word sections on them.

As stated, I'm no fan of the "deep" and "mystical" literary material that introduces the listener to the music, but it was not only very much of its early-1990s time with other popular acts also using spoken word on their albums, but it also arguably allowed Cretu to sell as well as he did.

I agree with 4damind's point above that sales have now tailed off for Cretu. His approach has gone out of fashion.
However, as I put in my previous post, what musical trend doesn't become unfashionable?
And whilst the spoken word sections, or new-age bollocks as I called it above, might now seem bullshit to us, there is nothing inexplicable about them. They can easily be justified - and particularly so during the early 1990s for Cretu.
Guenon
KVRian

996 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

dark water wrote:And whilst the spoken word sections, or new-age bollocks as I called it above, might now seem bullshit to us

It's the actual literary content, not that it "might now seem bullshit", but their conceptual quality which was just as empty back then. Those "deep" recitations are the target of the compilation video, in a lighthearted manner. The use of the above material in a musical context merely created a specific mood, and did it well, and in its shallowness it isn't unlike some other very successful spoken word uses in tunes/genres where you might have someone shouting something ultimately random every couple of minutes ;) for example. The use was very successful and created the desired mood, yet it's funny when lifted out of context like this. That's the point (imo).
4damind
KVRAF

4558 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

There are also others who have adapted the idea with the "spoken words" for themselves. Enigma had also the idea with this Gregorian chants in one track and that was something completely new and interesting at this time!

I have seen some articles/reports with or about Cretu and there he already comes out as a very introverted person. Maybe this also the problem why he didn't develop his style further.
SampleScience
KVRAF

3738 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Their success is an enigma!
skipscada
KVRian

1254 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:20 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Ridiculous then, ridiculous now. Lots of people bought it? QED
Daags
KVRAF

1868 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Postby Daags; Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 am Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Engima always were, and always will be, a bag a' shite. And if you ever bought an Enigma record, for any reason, you are a can a' piss.

Bag a' shite, can a' piss.
deastman
KVRAF

6382 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 pm Re: Enigma's inexplicable new-age bullshit

Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)