Filter plugin with complex modulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I'm looking for a filter plugin with very complex internal modulations. It must sound good, but emulation of any hardware filters is not necessary.
My candidate is either Volcano2 or U-he Filterscape.
How about The Drop? Or Zebra filters? Any other ideas?

Regards,
Adam

I can only vouch for Volcano 2 and FilterFreak by Soundtoys (though not on your list).

Volcano 2 has vastly more modulation options than FilterFreak and I've been using it for a longer time, plus I love the interface.

Both have a great sound and complement each other well. What I mean by that is that I find that I use FilterFreak for more "simpler" and "non-complex" filtering duties than Volcano 2. I can get freaky with Volcano 2 but for simple filtering I somehow reach for FilterFreak.

Another plus with FilterFreak is that you get the mini FilterFreak as bonus in your download. Which would be the equivalent of getting FabFilter's Micro filter plugin with the purchase of Volcano 2.

Hope that helps.

The Drop or Filtershaper
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

+1 The Drop
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The drop has nice enough modulation for everyday use but I imagine it's not going to be modular enough for OP. Also it only has LP/HP filters. In the modulation department volcano and filterscape are probably going to be the most expansive. Personally I really like Fxpansion Etch, which has a mod system that's really easy and nice to use and the modulators can modulate each other. It also has a lot of crazy ass filtershapes you won't find on other filters.

I really miss the Antares Filter, nothing else on the market has really enticed me much these days.
Ohmforce Quad Frohmage and PSP N20 are pretty decent though....

I'll never understand why they abandoned N2O :(
it's excellent as it is but it should have been more, and there are annoying bugs.

Metafilter, filtershaper, lovephilter, (reaktor)

Volcano has the most modulation options (if you have to have them internal)

The Drop sounds the best and has a lot of options, too: envelope followers, LFOs, triggered envelopes.

I prefer the sound of The Drop over Volcano to such a degree that I never use Volcano anymore.

Also -- to the person that said that the drop doesn't have BP... a HP + LP = a BP. You can easily set it up so that you can control both filters as one. You can get BP effects with the drop that you cannot with a simple BP filter. .. I would definitely check it out, my guess is you'll prefer it they way The Drop works.

Zebrify is nice for sure, comes with Zebra.

Love Philter (Imageline)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

MFilter or MWobbler. You can control almost everything with LFOs, step sequencers, evelopes or midi. Its easy to do lots of crazy modulation.

Thank you for all replies - lots of options to consider.
I have some questions regarding individual filters, so if you have any experince with these - please give you feedback :)

FilterShaper - can you make filters steeper than 24 dB? can you assign different lfo shapes for individual parameters?
Volcano - does it have a notch filter?
The Drop - does it have a notch filter?
MFilter - can you make filters steeper than 6 dB?

Regards,
Adam

Also, The Drop accepts external audio modulations so you can throw anything at it from slow to audio rate and as complex as you like

It seriously wipes the ass of other filters, just sounds so good
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”