Thinking about buying a new computer. Do you think this computer is good enough?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks!

I am currently on a Dell laptop with an i7 dual core, 8Gb RAM, etc. It has been okay to work with but it can't handle heavy loads such as Lush-101, Diva and some others. Sure I can get some sounds from those synths as well but as soon as there are more than one instance there will be a CPU overload. For certain presets in Diva or Lush-101 it hit 100% CPU when I even play one note. I do have a Scarlet 2i2 interface.

I am therefore thinking about going stationary and buy a desktop that is decently rated. All though I very well know how to build my own computers from parts I am reluctant to do that because of warranty of separate components, etc. Besides that I am plain lazy to do it :D
Dell have been great so far and that's why I am looking at this one.

I saw Dell have an offer around US$1500 with following spec,
- 7th generation Intel i7, 4,2GHz
- 16GB RAM
- 2TB HDD + 256Gb SSD
- NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics with 6GB dedicated memory

So all you guys out there with a similar computer, how does it work for you? Will this one make the cut?
Input and suggestions are highly appreciated.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I'd check out Scan Audio or ADk, etc.

I've had luck with Dells also, still have the first I bought and it's still kicking. Recently built an i7 system and won't go back. Nothing like a system built for a specific task for many reasons.

Unless you plan on gaming, a separate video card is not necessary nowadays.

I never heard about Scan Audio or ADK so thanks for the info. I will look around there and see what's on offer. My main concern here is that this is not like buying a hardware synth, effect or software plugin. A computer can't be demoed in advance before purchase, for obvious reasons. I don't care so much about the cost for the new computer. I just want to know I buy something that can run some heavy load. I don't want to spend a load of cash and then get disappointed ;)
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:I never heard about Scan Audio or ADK so thanks for the info. I will look around there and see what's on offer. My main concern here is that this is not like buying a hardware synth, effect or software plugin. A computer can't be demoed in advance before purchase, for obvious reasons. I don't care so much about the cost for the new computer. I just want to know I buy something that can run some heavy load. I don't want to spend a load of cash and then get disappointed ;)
Understood, that's why I recommended audio workstation builders. All their systems are built and tested specifically for the task. Best bet for instant gratification.

DAWBench is a good source to research CPU performance and interfaces.

If you really want Intel, wait. Next week Intel will release the next generation of cpus Coffee Lake.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that Intel will release the next generation at this time. Quite typical because I did order a new computer earlier today. It is a i7-7700 3,6 - 4,2GHz turbo with 32GB RAM, 512 GB Solid state drive plus a 2TB HDD. Some other stuff like decent graphics, wifi, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and other things were included. I just hope it will not disappoint me once I installed everything.

Be sure to do the basic Windows 10 optimisations for DAWs. Just Google "windows 10 daw optimization" and you'll get a few good lists. Run LatencyMon to see if there are any trouble spots.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Steve Bolivar wrote:Be sure to do the basic Windows 10 optimisations for DAWs. Just Google "windows 10 daw optimization" and you'll get a few good lists. Run LatencyMon to see if there are any trouble spots.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Thanks Steve! I will check out the link. I have a Focusrite 2i2 (old version) which works fine now when I turned off fastboot in Win 10. I did some optimizations in the past but this LatencyMon is new for me. I will sure use it :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”