u-he synths - what makes them special?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:blush:

wagtunes wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I guess I just don't see how that's relevant. Someone claimed that NI don't have vintage emulations in komplete. Someone else pointed out that they do. In that context I think it counts.
In that same context, I could say that Komplete "potentially" contains emulations of every analog synth that was ever made and I wouldn't be wrong.

Massive, FM8 and ABSynth 5 are NI "synths". I can buy them separately and I don't have to buy any other NI product to use them. I can't say the same about Monark, which I wouldn't own had I not bought Komplete. For that matter, let's just list every ensemble that every 3rd party developer has created using Reaktor (they're all there in the online user library to download free) because it's no different.

But whatever. You have your way of looking at it and I have my way of looking at it.
You can't buy Monark separately? That's weird, everyone else can. It's a standalone product that uses the Reaktor platform. You use it by itself with the Reaktor player. Does that disqualify it from being an extremely close emulation? What about using the VST SDK, does that disqualify synths from being emulations? What does the platform matter? Sure you can list other free ensembles that are emulations, but very few are actually modeled after the real thing and stand up to direct comparison. They are usually just inspired by the originals loosely.

Point is, Komplete contains at least one very close emulation, Monark. Regardless of how you look at it.

himalaya wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Urs!
More precisely his, deep, commanding, fatherly voice! :D
Mmm so sexy. :love:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I guess I just don't see how that's relevant. Someone claimed that NI don't have vintage emulations in komplete. Someone else pointed out that they do. In that context I think it counts.
In that same context, I could say that Komplete "potentially" contains emulations of every analog synth that was ever made and I wouldn't be wrong.

Massive, FM8 and ABSynth 5 are NI "synths". I can buy them separately and I don't have to buy any other NI product to use them. I can't say the same about Monark, which I wouldn't own had I not bought Komplete. For that matter, let's just list every ensemble that every 3rd party developer has created using Reaktor (they're all there in the online user library to download free) because it's no different.

But whatever. You have your way of looking at it and I have my way of looking at it.
You can't buy Monark separately? That's weird, everyone else can. It's a standalone product that uses the Reaktor platform. You use it by itself with the Reaktor player. Does that disqualify it from being an extremely close emulation? What about using the VST SDK, does that disqualify synths from being emulations? What does the platform matter? Sure you can list other free ensembles that are emulations, but very few are actually modeled after the real thing and stand up to direct comparison. They are usually just inspired by the originals loosely.

Point is, Komplete contains at least one very close emulation, Monark. Regardless of how you look at it.
My thoughts exactly. The only reasons I don’t use it more is because I look to Repro-1 and because Razor is sitting right there when I open Reaktor and it always lures me in.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

dangayle wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The only reasons I don’t use it more is because I look to Repro-1 and because Razor is sitting right there when I open Reaktor and it always lures me in.
Well, I look at the stuff in Reaktor as ensembles, not synths. And with a horrendous preset management system, I only use them to play existing presets as doing anything with them is a royal PITA.

Like I said, everybody looks at Reaktor synths differently. I simply don't classify them as "synths" in the traditional sense because of all the limitations and restrictions.

YMMV.

BBFG# wrote:Stellar company.
Stellar support.
Stellar sound.
And a copy protection system that rewards its customers with trust.
That guy above pretty much nailed it for the OP.

wagtunes wrote: Well, I look at the stuff in Reaktor as ensembles, not synths. And with a horrendous preset management system, I only use them to play existing presets as doing anything with them is a royal PITA.
Yeah classical touche nonsense. It's like saying "i am looking at humans as a cells, not humans - that makes me special".

Fortunately i and gazillion people use Reaktor for decades ++ and preset management is a royal top notch stuff with plenty of options.

YMMV

To make it on topic - IMO these days u-he, and NI are top of the top of the top.

u-he synths - what makes them special?
Well, the love you see in every detail of sound and user interface.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I look at the stuff in Reaktor as ensembles, not synths. And with a horrendous preset management system, I only use them to play existing presets as doing anything with them is a royal PITA.

Like I said, everybody looks at Reaktor synths differently. I simply don't classify them as "synths" in the traditional sense because of all the limitations and restrictions.

YMMV.
I get your point, and I do agree that the preset system is crap (especially if you sell sound packs for a living, I can see why you’d avoid it). But is it wise to go around redefining things just because you don’t like it?

Reaktor ensembles can be effects. They can be sample players, and yes, they can be synthesizers, (analogue-modeled even!) Yes, all of the above with a terrible preset management system included for no extra charge. What a deal!

Specifically in the context of this post, U-He’s preset management runs circles around Native Instruments, so I don’t think anyone will argue that point.

dangayle wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I look at the stuff in Reaktor as ensembles, not synths. And with a horrendous preset management system, I only use them to play existing presets as doing anything with them is a royal PITA.

YMMV.
I get your point, and I do agree that the preset system is crap (especially if you sell sound packs for a living, I can see why you’d avoid it). But is it wise to go around redefining things just because you don’t like it?

Reaktor ensembles can be effects. They can be sample players, and yes, they can be synthesizers, (analogue-modeled even!) Yes, all of the above with a terrible preset management system included for no extra charge. What a deal!

Specifically in the context of this post, U-He’s preset management runs circles around Native Instruments, so I don’t think anyone will argue that point.
Hey look, don't get me wrong. I think the Reaktor stuff "sounds" amazing and there are ensembles available that do things that nothing else I own can do. Blocks are awesome. Love NI.

And that's that.

I own Zebra 2. And its the only non-drum synthesizer plugin that I have purchased.

Someone commented earlier that its swiss army knife and I agree. The user interface is great. It is really deep synth and easy to learn how to use it, but there is always something new to discover.

Its almost stupid how I can get analog style sounds that I want more quickly with Zebra, than with a VA synth. But Zebra is the synth I have studied the most. But thats the strong point for me.

For me its amazing, because I can use the same tool to make a lot of things; Ive studied presets made by others to learn "category" of sounds and how it is constructed (fe: melodic percussive instruments, or plucked string instruments), then I can apply what I have learned to make my own things and make them act how I wish them to, to expressive playing. (Velocity controlling envelope slopes for example is really nice!)

It's really fun to get inspiration from sounds found in nature and real world instruments. The fact that I make those sounds with a synth allows me to do what ever the hell I want with my source of inspiration. Combine elements, remove (or not remake in the firstplace) parts of timbre I don't like in certain instrument.

It's a deep synth and the more deeper you dive, the more vast it gets.

It allows abstract sound design <3.

Yeah I don't like the snapshot system either. But thankfully presets can now be stored separately outside the ensemble so that makes things much better.

U-he preset system is ok, but it sounds like it will be getting much better with tags and stuff soon. I think thats whats been delaying repro-5.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:U-he preset system is ok, but it sounds like it will be getting much better with tags and stuff soon. I think thats whats been delaying repro-5.
That's correct :)

Urs wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:U-he preset system is ok, but it sounds like it will be getting much better with tags and stuff soon. I think thats whats been delaying repro-5.
That's correct :)
Is it what's delaying Zebra 2.8 too?

I left message in another thread, but I'll leave it here too. I will gladly start using the Beta right now, if it's OK with you.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”