One computer, lots of doubts...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With time you'll want to squeeze more performance out of it, but it will take years till then. Overclock is not bad, as long as you keep voltage under 1.39V and you have temps under 75°C in benchmarks. That will mean that in real life applications it won't go beyond 70°C. Anyway, you have an X processor which is set at a good frequency. The X processors are for those that don't want to deal with OC. The rest are for those that want to pay less, overclock and get same performance as those with X. :D

Yes, I got the x-rated chip :hihi:
I don't think I will ever overclock it, I never did in the past, either. My demands never change and my new processor is about 2x as powerful as my old one, which was basically enough. Sure, I could not use certain things like Lush, Diva beyond one instance, but then again, I am not interested in that anymore, anyway.
And my next computer (2025) will probably be the last one in my lifetime...

Just loaded the Diva demo, I could use several instances now if I wanted to. But I have to have Diva's multicore support turned off, else a single note causes an overload, crazy.

What cpu did you had before? What daw are you using? That's strange.

I'm curious what will be the difference between my actual pc Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz and future one R7 1700 @ 3.0Ghz (I'll try to OC to 3.7/3.8Ghz.)

I had the AMD Phenom II 1100T, pretty old stuff :)

DAW-wise I am using Mulab, for a lack of better option. I am not really happy with it, but the others are even worse...

Just checked your Intel chip, it seems very weak by modern standards, even weaker than my 1100T :)
Coming from the Q6600, the 1700 will seriously impress you I suppose :)

Yeah, it's 8-9yo since I have it and it was released like 10 years ago. Really old stuff. I waited for Zen architecture and from reviews it doesn't show like it was a waste of time. If yours has double performance compared to Phenom II 1100T it means here it will be like 3-4 times the performance and that sounds exciting.

Yes, especially the single-thread performance seems way superior. The 1500X has two cores fewer than my old 1100T, yet globally it is twice as powerful, while using half as much energy.
And it stays very cool as every other core is disabled (on the inside it is an 8-core processor). Not sure if there will be motherboards allowing the customer to enable cores. There were such cases in the past with other processors, but I suppose AMD would not be pleased :D

The rest of the parts arrived and I've finished building it, now I'm installing the software. Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/qApJb

Good luck :)
Did your motherboard come with that tiny boot speaker thingy? Mine didn't, I reused the one from my old computer 8)
Also, there were only 6 metal distance screws, so I reused three from my old computer as I did not want to use those flimsy plastic thingies.

It didn't. I hate those beeps. :D New motherboards have leds for diagnose if something goes wrong. Those metal distance comes with the case. In mine I had 8, one in the middle is on the case to help you land it and screw the rest easier.

As I had written pages ago, I accidentally touched the thermal paste before installing the cooler. Yet, the processor runs very cool if the software tools are to be believed.
So, I did a little experiment: I took an old shower gel bottle, whose cap is hard and even (so one can turn the bottle upside down and leave it that way over night so the rest of the gel flows down to the opening, no waste). Anyway, I put toothpaste on it, whose consistency is similar to thermal paste. First a perfect layer, which I then deliberately screwed up (photo on the left). Then I pressed the cap from underneath against the glass plate of my desk. And somehow the paste spread very evenly although the pressure I exerted was nowhere near the one exerted on the cooler-CPU connection. I turned the cap around a bit, nothing changed. On the photo on the right I did not even hold the bottle anymore, the vacuum seal held it in place.
https://app.box.com/s/6ac8ae4807iuwximgmotzk74f1wn9s91
So, I guess it is safe to assume that there is a near perfect layer of thermal paste between my chip and cooler :)

Monitor temperature with the app from AMD, AMD Ryzen Master. It should've been installed with the chipset driver. That will tell you the real temp. If temps are ok than it means there are no problems with thermal paste.

I can't seem to find any AMD tool for displaying temps, where is it? ^^

Is there a program for recording whatever sound my computer makes, like online radio? Basically a digital cassette recorder :)

You just have to record Stereo Mix, that will record everything that's heard on speakers. Try in AMD Radeon Settings or what is called on your pc, then go to Preferences and there should be it. If it's not you can download it from here: http://download.amd.com/Desktop/AMD%20R ... r%20UI.exe

Well, record with what?! :roll:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”